Reviews for Ford Expedition years:

Ford Expedition Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford ExpeditionOwner Reviews (72 reviews)
    Visitor, Hawesville, KY, October 21, 2014 19:46
    We have had our 2003 Ford Expedition for about 5 years, and never had any issues til recently, the security systems kept locking up, and we took to Ford dealership, and they said the computer was bad, so we wrote down the numbers on the old computer, and the dealership charged us to put a new computer in it, about 2 weeks after getting the truck back the truck did the same thing, so this time they said it was the door locks sensors in the back, so we paid to have that changed then 3 weeks later the vehicle does the same thing, we check the numbers on the computer and it is the same numbers we wrote down before they supposedly replaced the computer. Does anyone know if all the computers will have the same numbers on them..or should each computer have its own set of numbers??? We have the reciept showing where they say they changed the computer and charged a lot of money for it. So if you do know if the numbers are suppose to be different please let me know. So we can get this taken care of. Thank you all in advance
    Visitor, Walker, LA, October 13, 2014 18:15
    I have had this vehicle for 4 years with no issues. purchase with 80K miles now have 128K miles on it...
    Visitor, Walker, LA, October 13, 2014 18:12
    Best vehicle ever... purchase in 1998 with 18k miles on it, just sold it with 265k miles on it, never had any problems other than changing out several ignition coils. I bought a 1999 with 78K miles and it has been great so far...
    Visitor, Fort Collins, CO, September 11, 2014 14:00
    This car has earned it's nickname; The beast. It has 260, 000 thousand miles on it has the original drive train in it. Have had to replace all the ball joints, wheel bearings, fuel pump, 5 batteries, rear wiper motor, rear window motor, front power lock motor.... all in all for the miles it has Been great. At 210, 000 miles we used it to tow a car and trailer across the country either no issues. Rocker panels on both sides have completely rusted out, and when you use the remote to unlock the doors, it adjusts the mirrors to the sky. Has gotten US through the rockymountain pass numerous times with ice packed roads. The only car I truly feel safe in.
    alfonso1115, San Diego, CA, April 19, 2014 15:25
    I have a great looking black Eddie Bauer 2000 Ford Expedition, that I bought from my sister who purchased it new. It's been repainted all-black, tinted the windows and added 22" chrome spoke wheels and 295x45x22 tires so, it looks newer to most people. My annoyance is three of my passenger doors won't open most of the time by the new remote. Also, my odometer light goes on and off. However, my biggest problem is the 11.8 mpg around town but, get 16.4mpg on highway when cruising at 70 mph.
    Visitor, Riverhead, NY, January 06, 2014 09:16
    This is another one for the good reviews column. I have a 2004 Expedition that currently has 357,000 miles on it. Other than normal wear it has been a phenomenal truck. It is out of service now because it has blown the same spark plug out for the third time, resulting in it needing to have the head replaced (or another engine). Overall, an excellent truck - however, I admit I replaced this one with the same make I have before the Ford.
    Visitor, Leland, NC, November 29, 2013 16:56
    I've owned my 04 Eddie since 2006. Had the hood and rear door repainted because of bubbling paint on the front edge of hood and around the inside of rear door and outside handle. I called Ford in 08 about the problem and they stated they only warranty their paint for 3 years. Wow! Not impressed. Had 1 bubble spot come back on hood due to obvious aluminum contamination. No warranty on that! I have 130000 miles on it now. The vehicle does run great. I've had no other problems other than replacing 1 tire sensor gage.
    Visitor, Florissant, MO, November 04, 2013 19:42
    I've owned mine for about 6 months now. 160K miles. Replaced front ball jnts, and battery. Just passed Missouri safety/emissions checks (2013), no problem. Runs like a beauty, ...I call her "Big Red!" I felt like I was getting ignored when I took it in for the work and safety checks, ...they had nothing to report on her! Told me to just keep rolling! I like it! I'll report back later. Only reason for any 4 stars, is that I haven't owned long enough yet!
    Visitor, Statesville, NC, October 28, 2013 23:10
    my family bought our 1998 expedition new... through my older brothers abuse (for two years) and my abuse for the past three years, this vehicle is the best, it is about to click 200,000 miles and it has been jumped, slid around, on two wheels, went over a year at one point with no oil change, went for countless off road/mudding experiences, and still running strong. 5.4 is a great engine and has made me ford loyal! hope you have the same experience.
    lily889911, Atka, AK, October 10, 2013 22:02
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Visitor, Angle Inlet, MN, October 10, 2013 15:54
    2005 Expedition 5,4L, 4X4, Fully Loaded, w pw,ps, pb, abs, p rear side windows, p sunroof, all tinted glass, two-tone, Aluminum wheels, auto trans w OD, tire pressure sensors, chil-locks, leather interior, AM-FM CD w Surround sound, rear DVD Player w surround sound, rear passenger Fold down bucket seats, then electric fold down seats to make way for cargo bay that can expand cargo bay to the back of front seats. We can carry our chlidren that are the size of football players, and grand children w their lock down Baby Safety Chairs, AC front and rear regulated grom front or rear, Suspension second to none, corners as if on rails with proper tires. Heres the kicker, some stories are familiar, as if its on a timer, shortly after 100k it all starts happening, dsmn japanese parts, belts went shortly after getting, then went for long time then it has quut twice, once for ignition electronics, now its throttle body and sensor the very next day after rebuilt transmission reinstalled. Costs were about the same as others, but still managed to get parts cheaper, its only $5000 for a new block in Canada and thats the installed price. Engine has a tic but thats Ford, that can be easily remedied with new or reconditioned heads, easy and cost effective if done befote it lrads to clogging sensors. Recommend new air filter after costant checking, goto keep it breathing easy otherwise sendors with cause electronics to make damaging adjustments if left for too long.
    Visitor, Syracuse, NY, September 17, 2013 19:11
    I bought a 2005 expidition eddie bauer, had 82k miles,only 3 wks and the altinator goes $130.00, cd player jams full of discs $260.00,8 months later the battery goes $125.00, 11months its time to get it inspected now remind you its only been less than a year and the engine lighe comes on and wont go off, first garage TRIES to fix it only to tell me to bring it to a ford dealer AFTER putting $1820.00 in parts and labor and couldn't fix it, goes to the dealer and after $920.00 in parts and labor they tell me it needs a whole new ENGINE for a mere $8000.00 and cant be inspected because the engine light wont go out...yours truly FRUSTRATED and BROKE both me and the truck. and do you think ford would work with me? nooooo...
    mrfordman, Tahlequah, OK, August 01, 2013 19:56
     Journeyman
    Bought this Eddie Bauer Expedition in June. Had 78k miles on it. Was a trade in with a bad engine knock. Pulled oil pan, #8 rod bearing bad, crankshaft ok. Put it together, have put about 3k miles on it since repair. Drives good. Has 4x4 and air suspension. Not great on gas milage but try not to drive a lot. Great to pull with. Looking for third row seat as it was gone.
    Innkeeper, Groveland, CA, February 26, 2013 09:51
    We got our 2003 Expedition from a friend with 204,000 miles on it last December; as a 3rd car for guests to use at our B&B. So far, it's worked well - I'm changing out the spark plugs this week (100,000 miles + on the old ones) and keeping an eye out for problems, but so far it's been a great "carriage" for us.
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, February 02, 2013 10:33
    I have a 2005 limited ford expedition but not thrilled with the driving. Air suspension compressor gets me sick constantly turning on. Advance Trac w/ABS light on dashboard is annoying. Love the interior, the electronic button for 3rd row seat, very roomy and exterior looks great. Not too happy with the stability of the vehicle. I had a 97 Eddie Bauer for 13 years and loved it..never had to replace the engine or transmission. My only concern was the ABS, It locked twice and failed to stop very scary moment...If anyone can share other problems please let us know so we can have an idea...I think Ford is not as bad people make it seem it just depends on the vehicle and maintenance...
    Visitor, Half Moon Bay, CA, January 28, 2013 04:12
    Bought my Expedition in 2002 used, it is 2013 now and I replaced the tranny about 6 years ago but other than that no major repairs just basic maintenance, brakes, tires etc. Was the vehicle of choice when needing to pull someone out who was stuck in the snow or mud and its a good solid 4WD vehicle, lots of dirt road miles in the 220,000 currently on it and still going strong. All in all a pretty dependable vehicle will probably keep it until it needs put to pasture.
  • 2008 Ford Expedition
    Visitor, Debary, FL, December 27, 2012 08:33
    The vehicle is a tank and that is what I wanted, but it is a very unsophisticated tank. Very crude and old technology like the tail lights that are "vented" to keep them from over heating and like the engine with old push rod design and crude fuel injection in the throttle body. Engineering is all slap on changes and no system redesign to "integrate" changes.
    Visitor, Fresno, CA, November 09, 2012 12:44
    bought my 05 n 06 w 28000 miles been happy w it drive alot nows has 134000 miles just replaced the tranny now the motor starting 2 sound like a lifter noise was told could b bad cam phaser bad lifter or rocker or thurst bearing problem which means new motor truck paid 4 soo dont no what iam going 2 do like the truck so i whould buy another 1
    tiggersgirl18, Fort Lauderdale, FL, October 17, 2012 11:55
    I have a 2004 Expedition that I purchased in October of 2005 with only 1600 miles on it. It's now 10/17/2012 and I have over 121,000 miles on it, and KNOCK ON WOOD, it is running perfectly! Aside from the normal wear and tear that a car goes through and a hole on the roof of the truck that I am going to get fixed. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Expedition!
    Visitor, Washington, PA, September 28, 2012 22:24
    if you have less than 97000 miles on the 2006 expedition xlt get rid of it quick. it becomes super expensive after this.88k mls. transmission coolent hoses $600,97k mls.fuel module $400,97700mls rebuilt transmission $3300,98000 mls. gear box 4x4 notyet repaired but i know it's going to be expensive. then theres all the blistered paint.
    Visitor, Kanopolis, KS, August 23, 2012 12:09
    Interesting idea from Florida comment on Aug 11th about putting in another old school engine and transmission. I have considered doing that myself, finding an old 4x4 pickup with a 302 or 351 and having it rebuilt and swapped out professionally. The expedition has good looks and a good ride, but the 5.4 engine and transmission i will not repair or replace ever again, I mean ever!! Ford didn't need bailout money from the government because the people have been bailing them out for years with this garbage hi-maintenance 5.4 Triton engine.
    Visitor, Merritt Island, FL, August 11, 2012 08:36
    We bought our 2005 Expedition XLT 5.4 4X4 used with 20,000 miles. It had been a fleet vehicle with great maintenance records. We changed the oil religiously eveery 3,000 miles and followed the service schedule. At 54,000 without warning, no warning lights, nothing, the engine blew up on the highway with cruise set at 65. The engine was damaged beyond repair. After $4,800 we had a new engine (Ford Rebuilt). Now at 107,000, with the same religious maintenance, the new rebuilt engine is knocking and ready to go. The piece of garbage E4OD transmission is slipping and overheating (Had an E4OD in my Powerstroke and it was junk too.) Clearcoat is failing on a large part of the Expedition. Ford had a great vehicle, with a lousy engine and tranny package and crap paint. Since I don't owe anything on this Expedition. I'm putting supercharged 5.0 with a properly matched tranny, and having it repainted. Far less than buying a new one.
  • 2007 Ford Expedition
    Visitor, Killeen, TX, July 28, 2012 20:28
    My A/C was working just fine before I sent my Expedition to the shop to have a new fuel pump installed. Now, the air blows but the air its blowing is hot as sperm. Lol. What could possibly be the issue?
    Visitor, Columbia Falls, MT, June 29, 2012 22:19
    I have a 2004 Ford Expedition with paint blistering on the edge of the hood. Ford knows they have a problem, just trying to keep it to themselves. I found out today by searching the internet that they issued a technical service bulletin on December 27, 2004 titled Aluminum Corrosion, number 04-25-1. The issue as described in the bulletin: "Some Vehicles may exhibit bubbling or blistering under the paint on aluminum body parts. This is due to iron contamination of the aluminum panel." The bulletin goes on to say, "Testing has revealed that the aluminum corrosion was caused by iron particles working their way into the aluminum body part, prio to painting." It covers most 2000 to 2004 larger cars, suv's and pick-ups including the expedition, explorer and f-150. Now you know the problems, a latent manufacturing defect. So far no luck in getting for to fix the problem. They say their corrosion warranty won't cover it unless the metal is perforated, even though they label the service bulletin as aluminum corrosion.
    Visitor, Raleigh, NC, May 22, 2012 11:48
    I purchased a 98 Eddie Bauer with 198K miles in April 2011 for $4400 cash. It is now May 2012 and I have 251,100K miles on it. I put 53k miles on it within one year. I just recently had to replace brake pads and have the rotors turned. The air conditioner doesn't get as cold but for what I purchased the vehicle for I have a darn good truck truck!
  • 2011 Ford Expedition
    Visitor, Dallas, TX, April 28, 2012 07:06
    Bought this car new from dealer. 6 months later, the air compressor jammed and belt was smoking. Took it for maintenance 3 times, still my AC not fuctioning well. I regret buying a Ford. Gentelmen, beware from buying cheap cars. Japanese cars are more reliable.
    Visitor, Yulee, FL, April 07, 2012 07:43
    We bought our 2005 ford expedition new and have very little trouble up until now it has 105000 miles on it and the air conditioiner decides to go out just when it got hot here in florida I took to the dealer and he was going to charge 1900.oo dollars to repair it I call around and I can buy the parts for 693.00 dollars so I will fix myself I mean come on for 1900.00 dollars I can have outside unit for my house put in and that la encluded labor
    Visitor, Greenfield, IN, March 31, 2012 19:45
    Hi, I have a Ford Expedition 2004, And i would like to know why one time are truck O/D Flashed and after that we started losing the second gear then it kept going to the RPM 4000 and switched to the next gear, We took to the Transmition place and they checked and they said there was nothing wrong with the transmition! If you know what can be wrong can you please text me back! Thank you. Kakin13@yahoo.com :)
  • 2001 Ford Expedition
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, February 12, 2012 12:27
    I have a 2001 eddie bauer Expedition It just turned 209000, we purchased it with 48K in 2005. After 2 transmissions, It is going strong. The first tranny failed at 98K and the extended waranty covered it, the last was at 187K. Had to replace the compressor in November 2011, but I think all of these repairs are resonable considering its miles. It got my daughter through college, the last week of school the Tranny died, and now it has taken good care of me while i work out of town. I think this truck will be with us for several more years. I would buy another one in a minute.
    Visitor, Missouri City, TX, December 26, 2011 15:51
    I just spen over 2700.00 get my car fixed. now I take it in to get a state inspection sticker and it won't pass. It failed the emission test.
  • 2001 Ford Expedition
    Visitor, Galveston, TX, May 05, 2011 17:26
    over all it's a great vehical
    Visitor, Coatesville, PA, March 25, 2011 09:33
    I guess if you look at reviews at other websites, the 2005 Ford Expedition was a very good, reliable large SUV. Usually around 4stars+. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone- PROS: great ride, comfort, handling above average for a large SUV, reliable transportation, good HVAC, engine/drivetrai plenty of power, no more wear on tires than the norm. Maybe since we have the Eddie Bauer edition is more loaded w/leather I'm more biased on the vehicle. CONS: Overall Gas mpg is about 16.0 avg., I have gotten around 17+ on Hghway, but around 14 mpg in city. Brakes some pulsation issues, but other than 1 battery replacement and two ABS sensors it's the only thing we have replaced in 4 years (we bought it 4 years ago used w/42K). Have about 62K now, the third seat fold down is a plus with large packages or dogs in tow. Again I would rate it a 8.5-9.0 if it got around 20mpg Hghway it would be close to a "10". Not bad for an American brand!
    StevenG, Berkeley, CA, March 01, 2011 10:44
    Great car, fun to drive. Not so easy on the gas.
    Visitor, Victorville, CA, February 14, 2011 22:18
    Good shape
    Visitor, Guys Mills, PA, February 11, 2011 06:36
    As usual, another great product from Ford/Lincoln! My Expedition has pushed its way through 3-feet of snow without hesitation, handles well on ice and snow, and keeps us comfy during sub-zero as well as tropical temperatures. No issues with this vehicle other than the normal wiper blades, disc pads, fluid changes, etc. Use synthetic fluids wherever possible to further ensure it won't wear out quickly.
    Visitor, Lenexa, KS, January 24, 2011 20:39
    This vehicle is wonderful, worked almost flawlessly, the only problem I've had is the advancetrac light coming on
    Visitor, Brainardsville, NY, January 08, 2011 14:08
    I have an 05 Ford eddie bauer expedition my advice is dont buy one- This truck has had more problems than all the vechicles i ever owned combined- the transmission , steering column ,front axle,all were replaced before 70,000 miles and these are just the things i could think of off the top of my head -window motors,bearings,belts,ball joint are just some of the others it now has 90,000 miles on it and is still a continuous headache- warning if you want a reliable vechicle dont buy a ford repairs will cost you more the value of the vechicle- definitely get an extended warranty - it will pay for itself tenfold- if you have an expedition.
    Visitor, Edinburg, TX, January 03, 2011 12:09
    We bought our 04 Expedition in 2005. It had one previous owner and this truck was intact, we loved it. However, in the last year the tire sensor will not shut off even though tires have been checked and replaced, and the back up sensor is not working. Seems like these things are common. I still love my vehicle and would buy another one.
    Visitor, Litchfield, CT, January 02, 2011 10:19
    I bought my 04 expedition EB new it been great over all. I have 151,000 on it and most people can't believe thee that many miles on it. Problems rear door corosion under the paint (factory problem in aluminum surface prep.) Front leather seats and wrapped steering wheel wore prematurely. Brake rotors wear fast. coil on plugs go one at a time. My transmision and 4wd has been great. I turn off advance trac everytime I start it.
    tonymroberts, Potts Camp, MS, December 16, 2010 20:28
    1998 Eddie Bauer Expedition. 202,110.5 and still going strong. Only the air ride suspension just started leaking. I just bought the replacement air bags from strutmasters who really didn't want to sell them to me... tried hard to get me to go to their conversion kit; but I don't want coil springs. I like the air ride. It rides better and automatically levels the vehicle when loaded or pulling a trailer. I am on here trying to find help or instructions on installing my new air bags (air ride shocks). Tony
    rebaemery, Hermiston, OR, December 12, 2010 11:43
    222,XXX and yes still going strong.. having some issues with my heater, I am going to replace the heater control valve in the morning!
    kjb, Smithtown, NY, November 29, 2010 23:39
    I previously had a 1997 Expedition with no problems at all so I was very excited to purchas the 2006, which at the time only had 16,000 miles on it in July of 06,. However I have had a few issues that are very pesty. The front driver seat gets too hot when the seat warmer is turned on. The tire pressure sensor light goes on for no reason and I have had an engine knock for some time now. I also hear a thud when taking off from a full stop sometimes.
    Visitor, Dayville, CT, November 19, 2010 18:26
    We have an 04 expedition and I figured with the bad reviews I should represent the many people who have been very happy with their expeditions, but do not write reviews because there's no reason to even think about it. I currently have 82,000 mile on my eddie bauer and it has been flawless. We tow a camper and have had no major issues. It has needed one set of brakes, a battery and tires. I have recently decided to put some maintenance into it due to the fact we plan on keeping it at least a few more years. I replaced the belt and flushed the coolant. Also plan on tranny fluid change and plugs. The vehicle has always run good and is excellent for hauling the family. I also plow my driveway with it. Very satisfied and I plan on our next vehicle being another expedition.
    bigpill, Jonesboro, GA, November 10, 2010 16:26
    I'VE HAD GREAT SERVICE OUT OF THIS VEHICLE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TRANNY AND THR FRONT DIFFERENTAL LATELY. HAD THEM REBUILT AND NOW IT'S FUNCTIONING FINE WITH 195000 + MILES
    Visitor, White Lake, MI, November 10, 2010 07:27
    Was thrilled to finally get my 05 Expedition limited 6 months ago w/ 74k miles. But noticed shortly thereafter a shudder when accelerating while in overdrive. Now starting to shudder in 3rd also, and emission light, which started going on intermittently, just came on full time last time I drove it- 4 days ago. Any help appreciated.
    msjackiee, Houston, TX, November 01, 2010 07:01
    I have a 2004 expedition the tire pressure sensory light will not go off, I have had all four sensors checked, and replaced they will not read once put on the tire and the tire is on the vehicle, i have replaced the wiring harness because the dealer said it was perforated and the Firestone has tried to reset the computer reader board but it did not work , I also have replaced the starter 4 times it keeps burning up
    dianejacques, Conyers, GA, October 10, 2010 08:14
    I should have known that the FORD still meant found on the road dead bc without any warning this truck just shuts off and the wrench light comes on in the dash..It had to goooooooooooooooooo
  • 2008 Ford Expedition
    DaveJHM, Benicia, CA, September 20, 2010 00:12
    I have an EL with the 18" wheels. I should have gotten the 20". The handling on this boat leaves a lot to be desired. I mean for emergency purposes, not for sporty driving! Everything is satisfactory, but nothing is exceptional. The passenger front sitting position is uncomfortable with the dash at the leg area. The drive train is ok - the transmission can hunt, clunk and extend a gear too long on a grade. The lights...I have had more bulbs burn out on this vehicle in two years than any other vehicle ever. The fog light lenses never stood a chance against road debris. The engine is solid, but really could use a little more power. The dual zone climate control (and rear) is annoying and does not put different air where you want it, the way you want it. But...when you have cargo to carry...lots of kids...etc...there really is no other choice in the segement than an EL.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, September 13, 2010 03:25
    1998 Eddie Bauer Model. All I can say is that I beat the ever loving crap out of this thing and she just keeps begging for more!!! Replaced the transmission due to an overheating issue was done under warranty, and other then normal maintenance for a truck with 165K miles on it she has never had an issue. She eats brake pads pretty frequently, small rotors for such a big truck, could be my heavy foot, so far I have killed two deer (one was a five point buck at over 60 MPH!! Thank god for the light bar) and completely submerged the truck in salt water twice (had to get back the way I came!!) and yet this truck still continues to drive like a champion, you have not driven until you've driven underwater!! Rinsed truck with Salt Terminator and other then the fact my horn sound like it would be more at home on a Miata (it sounds cute!!) not a single problem with the truck. I will drive this thing to the end. Other then brakes and I have replaced front ball joints and passenger side CV joint, all my front bushings and just put in a new battery and cables. I LOVE THIS TRUCK!!!
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, September 02, 2010 12:38
    Bought a 2004 in 2007 with 65,000 miles and within a year had to have another transmission put in. The mechanic said that the wires had burned out, it cost me about $2500.Had to replace a part for the window it wouldn't roll up or down and that was about $250 The air conditioning doesn't get cold they said about $600 to fix it. I just took it to the mechanic today for knocking in the engine and haven't been called back to see what it is yet. I also had to have the rear differential replaced by the dealer which cost me about $2400 and they said that someone had put a used differential in it ( it was making a loud noise at low speeds and on the highway like brrrrrrrrr). The paint on the moldings has peeled off and is a little greenish in color, I have seen that on a lot of the same trucks. I paid $13,500 plus taxes etc. To me this was too many problems for a vehicle which was 3 years old. I hope this review is helpful to someone.
    Visitor, Redmond, OR, August 23, 2010 13:53
    I own a 2004 this is my second one that i have owned, they are great family SUV's. Only issue i had with it so far is the Power steering line got shaking and ended up on the fan shudder, I had to go get that fixed. Being told that the Full Size SUV's need Front and Rear Alignments. I had a 1998 before i got this one thing ran like a champ I put over 100K miles on it and only thing I replaced was the alternator. With my 2004 I had to replace the battery(twice), tires(normal wear and tear), and all the fluids. In the process of doing the rear brakes. I will not give this truck up. With a family of 6 and driving over mountain passes in the winter its been wonderful. Love the new folding 3rd row seat, beats the old one when i had to fold and pull out. I recently moved and pulled a trailer with it and it handled like i had nothing on the back!! Love it Love it!!
    Visitor, La Vergne, TN, June 18, 2010 21:55
    Replaced serpentine belt then alternator . Now the shift cable has broken or something . All this has happened this month. I hope when we fix this it will go for a while & not cost me money for a month or two. When its not broke its a good truck
    Visitor, Fort Atkinson, WI, June 17, 2010 06:32
    I bought my 2003 Expedition with 90,000 on it three years ago and it now has 155,000 on it. I absolutely love this vehicle! Handling is fantastic. Love the power it has. So far I have had to change an injector, two wheel bearings, and front brake assembly. The shocks are now going but let me tell you, I drive it fast and rough and it has taken the abuse magnificently. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a bigger more luxurious SUV.
    Visitor, Corpus Christi, TX, June 17, 2010 00:12
    i have a 1997 ford expedition. something is wrong with my rear tire on the passanger side. it makes a nasty clunking sound as if the tire wants to fall offf. one mechanic said it was the rear ball joints going out. then another said there is no ball joints in bak i have no idea whos right or wrong i dont want to spend money on something my truck does not need. its been parked for about a week. i recently moved it and fluid started gushing out of what seemed to be was axel tire area. i dont know what im dealing with and what the problem could be. if u have any info on what could be wrong please email me to redskittles1406@yahoo.com thanks
    jaymann, Rochester, NY, May 25, 2010 11:55
    98 ford expedition going about 55mph on the highway and the engine would rev and would`t go anywhere would have to pull off to the shoulder of the road and wait for about 5mins. then it would go
    Visitor, Milford, OH, May 13, 2010 08:32
    1998 Ford Expedition 4x4, 115k, Still running strong as of 2010. Last owner did not take care of car so the exhaust was rusty, but mechanically speaking it has been fantastic. No repairs just did 100,000 mile maintenance, I have the V8 4.6 which just uses regular spark plugs, so I changed those out.
    Visitor, Broken Arrow, OK, March 26, 2010 09:13
    I purchase this SUV in 2001, with 33,000mi, it has 302,000>, I have done the brakes as needed, replaced the alt, ball joins, cv joints and plenty of tire, I found that the B F Goodrich tires last best, I get about 85,000mi, per set, not bad for the tires or Ford. Remember to change the fluids as recommended, I flush the tranny and change the filter, Ford say why, but the mechanics wonder why the the tranny is still working. Hat of to this one. Oh, the fuel pump went out yesterday @ 300,000> mi. go figure.
    abbott, Prattville, AL, March 05, 2010 18:21
    I purchased this 2000 Ford Expedition (Eddie Bauer Edition) on January 30, 2010. At that time it had 140,000 miles on it. I had to get rid of my 2001 Chevrolet Impala (>145,000 miles) due to an accident and it being totalled out. Anyway; I had the heater fixed (not working at all), electric door locks replaced, upper and lower ball joints, and all brakes replaced. Seems like a lot since I just got it, but being a 10 year old SUV, I think it was necessary. I have no real complaints about the Expedition. I wish the fuel economy was a little better, but again, for a 10 year old SUV, I knew it wasn't going to be super fuel efficient.
    Bob-O_2010, Granbury, TX, March 03, 2010 10:35
    1997 Expedition EB White - Bought at 23k sold at 176k. Love the car 18MPG overall. very comfortable Replaced: 1. engine under warranty at 90k due to piston slap. Manufacturing fluke. 2. Replaced air suspension bladders at 130k $800 but the ride is worth it. 3. Never replaced the muffler it was good to the end. 4. replaced shocks once, front end ball joints at 110k 5. Replaced radio with oem from Ebay $50 was $800 from Ford 6. third row seat was manual and hard to fold or remove. Overall loved the car and have bought two expeditions since.
    Hello Gorgeous, Houston, TX, February 25, 2010 11:50
    I have a 2003 Expedition that I bought used in 2004, with 11,000 miles on it. It now has 110,000 miles and I still love it. I have had very few problems with it, and nothing out of the ordinary. WELL worth the tradeoff as far as gas mileage, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'll drive it till it falls apart!
    sloth rider, Moro, IL, February 22, 2010 14:51
    bought it with 32,000 miles have a 110,000 on it now not many problems just had to replace front wheel bearings and it needs a tune up have had transmission fluid done and coolant and new tires a few times and the child safety locks in the back trigger themselves randomly has been a great vehicle only complaint is poor gas mileage but its heavy and big so thats what you get
    ase-gearhead, San Jose, CA, January 03, 2010 22:59
    1998 blus xlt- 4x4 had it since 99 was off a rental yard.(was in an accident) 2010 and has 320,000 miles 2 alternators 1 serptine belt-changed at 220,000 4 ignition coils changed plugs every 100k 1 front cv axle 2 maf sensors 1 driver door lock 1 driver side exhaust gasket 1 starter. 2 lower ball joints and a whole lot of fuel filters and syn oil This truck grew up with me..through my single days to the family days=) from spinning in circles, jumping curbs, big trails ...now to kids games church on Sundays and wifey to the mall and i still drive with a heavy foot and drive it like a truck. I love this truck but daddy wants a new toy but cant get the excuse to get one...guess old blue loves me too..
    pcrocker, Seattle, WA, December 17, 2009 07:13
    Air suspension is expensive to fix or replace, and fails well before other types of suspension.
    bkoz, North Richland Hills, TX, December 10, 2009 14:28
    After owning dozens of cars my life, this by far is the worst vehicle ever. Very high maintenance with many issues. Rough idle at start, hesitation issues, electrical issues. etc. I went against my better judgment going after the 0% financing for 72 months and now I know why they had to do that. I went from a Tahoe to this because of the automated fold flat 3rd row seats and the nice financing but never again. i do not feel like this truck will last 100k. Buy this for a disposable vehicle and get rid of it before it gives you too many problems.
    kckucera, Phoenix, AZ, October 18, 2009 21:15
    I bought a 2001 with 6 miles on it ( she now has 149000! ), and have been 90% thrilled and 10% pissed. Everything with this SUV is fine, great even- except for really one thing: paint issues. The fiberglass hood is corroding, which is weird, and Ford knows about the problem but wont fix it, even under warranty. So Im not happy with those prcks for that, but otherwise she is a great truck! I will run her till she drops, and may get another one, if I gt past there poor customer response.
    teamself, Pinole, CA, September 11, 2009 13:43
    best car I ever had
    EXPYCRAZY, Lake Wales, FL, July 06, 2009 20:38
    This was our first Expedition...A 1997 XLT model. We had planned on keeping it 5 yrs and trading into something new however this SUV was just so dependable we did not want to get rid of it. We kept the 97 and bought a 2002...we kept the 2002 until 2006 and bought another new one... We still have our 1997 which I'll add runs and drives great. Other then normal maintenance items it has needed nothing... It currently has 198,000 on it and you'd never know by looking at it or driving it. We actually prefer to take it on long trips and leave the new one home. I'd rather put the miles on the old one. lol. Will I buy another...ABSOLUTELY! unless of course Ford's quality drops... But if they remain so dependable, I'll keep buying them.
    rerom2003, Duncan, AZ, June 08, 2009 22:55
    One of the best SUV around any year!
    edd, Spring Lake, MI, April 08, 2009 15:39
    IBought this Big Ford with 200,000. Did brakes, Oil, shift handel, rear wheel bearings, shocks and o-2 sensors.... Alls good I love this Ford
    Texian Punisher, Irving, TX, March 21, 2009 03:15
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition with 193,000 miles on it. Got it with 175,000 miles on it and the only real problem has been the A/C. I live in Texas, home of the 100 degree + summers, and the A/C has always been deficient in the cooling department. The car has been a pleasure to own, sans the A/C system.
    avier, Kingsville, TX, January 15, 2009 10:56
    I bought my 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition four about years ago with 75,000 miles. I immediately changed oil and had the transmission fluid flushed out and replaced. Initially I replaced the fly wheel ($700). After that I maintained oil changes, tire rotation and so on. At 110,000 miles I had to replace breaks. At 120,000, worn parts in the steering colunm ($500), at 125,000 I replaced the surpentine belt ($130) and breaks again at 180,000. I had the alarm system disconnected. After servicing the AC at 165,000 miles I was told I needed a new compressor but it is still coooling well. It currently has 192,000. It has been very dependable. I am looking at replacing the four ball joints ($640). I bought a new, 2008, Expedition when the prices went down.
    willyf, Jamestown, CA, August 24, 2008 22:04
    I purchased the car with high mileage. Just passed 147,000 - Feels like new.