Reviews for Ford Escape years:

Ford Escape Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford EscapeOwner Reviews (61 reviews)
    Visitor, Saugus, MA, July 27, 2014 09:41
    Engine replaced at approx 50K miles (warranteed). Not covered under warrantee: tension pully, V-belt (twice), alternator, electronic component for windshield wiper fluid, rear window cable/motor, NW&T brakes. Noisy ride!!!
    Visitor, Brandon, FL, July 10, 2014 17:34
    Owned this 2003 Escape since Sept 2002. Best vehicle I ever owned. Spent a few bucks on recalls. Spent a few hundred on some small repairs and approx.$2000. on brakes over the years. This vehicle is dependable as hell and I highly recommend it. Preventive maintenance makes all the difference girls!
    Visitor, Spartanburg, SC, May 10, 2014 04:23
    I took my Ford Escape 2008 to Firestone. They said i have a hole in my condenser and that with the air conditioning recharge the total price would be $615. Then they said that may not fix my problem.
    Visitor, Saint Augustine, FL, April 08, 2014 12:51
    Bought my Escape from a local credit union (Repo) with 150k miles on it. I now have 195k miles and only recently had to do brake work on it to the tune of $825. The cost should of been only $150 but it was mis-diagnosed by the local tire store. Master cyclinder would have fixed it if they had gotten all the air out when bleeding the brakes. just changed one tie rod end (original) which only cost me $8. Mine is a 3.0l V6 and get 23-24 mpg. Funny how those with bad experiences have more of a tendency to voice there opinions.
    Visitor, Saint Charles, MO, April 02, 2014 19:48
    Transmission needs repairing $2000 with 94,000 miles; $600 repair to ignition - they had to dismantle the steering column; very disappointed in expensive repairs to a vehicle that did not make 100,000.
    Visitor, Duluth, MN, January 20, 2014 16:02
    escape is the biggest pile of crap I have ever owned or driven. multiple problems and fords extra care warranty is the biggest rip off in the industry it covers very little most repairs get denied and its like trying to talk to the wizard if you want to try and dispute their denial.
    Visitor, Holdrege, NE, December 27, 2013 05:31
    I bought my 2005 Escape with 4 cylinder motor brand new off lot, never had a problem untill 2010 when Transmission went out. Put new tranny in at 2300 dollars and has been great. This vehicle is now going on 9 years old and is still running strong love this car would buy another.
    robin_d99, Nashville, TN, May 18, 2013 11:55
    Worst vehicle I have ever purchased. The 6 cd changer works when it wants to, the odometer light works when it wants to. the sunroof switch does not work, so the sunroof will not seal well, so everytime it rains, it floods the inside of the vehicle. Have just had all 3 catalytic converters replaced, along with egr valve and dpfe sensor....and check engine light came on two days after i got it back from the shop and gave them over $2000 to "fix it". Have also had to change the ABS sensor, brakes, belts and it it is leaking oil on the engine and needs new rear struts. Can't wait to get it running good enough to get rid of.
    Visitor, Pittsburgh, PA, April 02, 2013 11:43
    2010 Ford Escape...I have had this 2010 Escape back to the dealer 6 times for the same steering problem...Driving down the street and the power steering QUITS WORKING...you never know when it will work or when it will fail..This the most dangerous SUV ever put on the road by Ford!! If you go online you will find that is is not an uncommon problem, yet FORD has done nothing to recall these Escapes..I suppose it will take a dozen accidents or deaths to get the the federal government to step in and demand a recall & a fix!!
    Visitor, Magnolia, TX, March 12, 2013 19:17
    The repairs are too expensive. Alternator - $895.00 - located under the motor Catalytic converter - 3 at $800.00 each just for the parts
    Visitor, Champlain, NY, February 24, 2013 19:06
    GUYS, NEVER BUY THIS CAR................
    Visitor, Lafayette, LA, February 23, 2013 03:51
    I purchased my escape on February 13, 2013. It had only 11967 miles on it. On day three, I had to get it towed b/c the temperature went to hot, check engine light came on, and the vehicle wouldn't move. The dealership claimed it was a bad sensor and that the problem was fixed. The vehicle broke down four days after being fixed and left us stranded in the dark in a dusty field. I'm completely unsatisfied and will never purchase Ford again. My paper tags are still in the window and it broke down twice.
    Visitor, Mount Vernon, OH, February 21, 2013 14:27
    Does anyone know why there would be gas leaking out of my gas tank from the bottom... There is no rust on the tank and there are no holes in the tank,... I just filled the tank up and am wondering if I just over filled it... It's been a couple hours and it hasn't leaked since i got gas.... Is there a spot where excess gas would leak from other than coming out of where the gas goes into the tank... No gas sprayed out of the top part of the tank where you put the gas nozzel in.. Please help me figure this out.. It has been one thing after the other with this vehicle and I'm tired of putting money into it... Thank you for the help..... This is a 2001 Escape 4x4 automatic V6
    Visitor, Niagara Falls, NY, November 02, 2012 15:59
    We have a 2012 Ford Escape with 6,000km and we are getting a dull, low - clunk,clunk,clunk coming from the passanger side rear. Happens pressing gas, break or driving on uneven roads such as dirt/gravel. Anyone know what this is?
    Visitor, Sioux City, IA, September 19, 2012 06:19
    I am so disappointed with my 2008 Escape. Every time that vehicle goes to the dealership they always tell me it is something different that needs to be repaired and that it isn't covered under the extended basic care warranty. I have filed a complaint with the NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION.I received a owners questionnaire and I hope get some some results on a safety issue with my 2008 Escape. "RECALL" . Ford knows they have a steering wheel column problem. The BASIC CARE warranty doesn't cover the steering column ($913.00) out of pocket and other owners that have the same problem are paying over ($1,000.00) for this repair. My car suddenly died on a bridge a day after the steering column was replace. The dealership informed me that the problem was just a fuse. The dealership and I have had many words and they commented that they didn't charge me for the fuse. WOW! Every time the vehicle goes to the dealership the invoice says the company performs multi-point inspection (2-11). What! I sat on the busy road side waiting for a tow truck for 1/45 minutes with two minor children. Sioux City Ford hates to see me when I come in for service/problems with the vehicles. I hate my 2008 & 2012 Escapes. I wish I would of looked around or at least asked more questions to the sales person before I signed a loan for $27,000.00 for 5 years. I was a fool and don't trust anyone.I hope you read this complaint. The over all rating for this vehicle shows at the top says over a (4) stars. Take a moment and read the other two ratings. Research this and see how many other people are having the same problem.
    Visitor, Bolingbrook, IL, August 21, 2012 16:14
    New 2012 Ford escape makes a static noise in the bake passenger rear side of the truck. This happens 2 to 3 times a week. Ford claims they can't find a problem anyone else having this problem??? Air conditioning really loud.
    Visitor, Bedford, VA, August 12, 2012 19:41
    I will never buy another one....I have had mine Escape for 4 months and its has been in shop 3 times...the last time it was towed as it would not move.You could press gas pedal down but it would go no where. While driving it I lost all power and had to drift it off the road, luckily both times I didnt have traffic behind me or there might have been an accident. First time I took it in for this trouble they said computer didnt show a code and nothing was wrong with it, but yet it had me sitting on side of the road. Two weeks later it did same thing but this time I had it towed to dealer. I have read in internet where ALOT of people have had this problem to the point it has gotten dangerous, as they almost got hit or cause accident. I think FORD needs a recall. It scary when you try to push gas to go and you just slow down especially when traffic is coming. I will not feel safe in this Escape...wish I had NEVER bought it and just kept my CHEVY trailblazer!!!
    Visitor, Houston, TX, June 04, 2012 13:36
    my escape drivers seat and along the console got hot what might be the problem
    chanteljeremy, Shickshinny, PA, May 20, 2012 10:31
    we are having all kinds of things go wrong we are blowing break lines left and right the accelerator cable is giving us hell and come to find out all the issues we are having is what has been recalled but we just got it used in 2010 so we are stuck with it broke abs light and brake light always on and feels like the front end is falling apart
    Meadowgal, Powell, TN, May 11, 2012 19:30
    Purchased my Escape in Sept/Oct 2009. It currently has almost 65k miles on it and I learn that the a/c compressor, condenser, and accumulator is bad. I received an estimate from Ford and they want almost $2,000 to fix. I think this is ridiculous. They put defective parts in the car. I have a 2001 Toyota Celica with over 170k miles and the a/c is running just fine. The only thing I've replaced on the Celica is tires, a battery, windshield wipers and kept up the oil changes.
    Visitor, California City, CA, March 01, 2012 07:16
    pulling a u-haul up a small hill. Car down shifted to 2nd gear, rpm and mph dropped. Would not up shift to drive. Had car towed to dealer. They could not find any problem, but thinks that it was not exhausting propperly and that the exhaust was flowing back into the engine. Check engine light did not come on at anytime. Do I have a problem?
    Visitor, Fairbanks, AK, December 10, 2011 20:05
    I bought the vehicle with 208000 miles, It needed the tranny rebuilt. After rebuilding the transmission i was able to drive it. It ran rough and was hard starting, I replaced 4 coil on plugs that were obviously cracked, was still getting a miss at idle in gear and a code for cylinder 4, so I changed that coil pack too, it was better but in overdrive it had a miss , stumble, or hesitation whenever you gave it some throttle but not enough to kick down. just a stumble in overdrive when kinda lugging it. I changed a bunch of sensors to no avail, every sensor! Still had the stumble. I replaced the 6th coil pack and it still had the stumble. So I purposly drove it up hills with the throttle in that spot to make it miss enough to through a code. It would then through random misfire code and cylinder 1 and 3 misfire. I thought it must be a fuel problem, I verified that it had good fuel pressure and a new fuel filter. Still stumbled in overdrive. I put a tank of premium in it and 5 diferent types of injector cleaner in it at once and (techron) and I prayed to GOD and begged him to have mercy on my soul. The car drove smoother and smoother within 20 miles was driving like a new car!!! Thank you LORD!! That is my true story, I wasted a lot of money on several sensors I didn't need, first thing I should have done was injector cleaner and replace all the coil packs. Good luck with yours. James at Alaska Mobile Automotive.
  • 2009 Ford Escape
    Visitor, Fenton, MI, December 09, 2011 11:57
    Bought new and love the vehicle! We have stuffed it to the gills and taken it up mountains to Yellowstone - still plenty of power in the 4cyl and great gas mileage. 80K on it now and beginning to see the start of maint items - it's in for a trans-to-axle seal replacement ($440 - gasp!) and needs new tires this winter.
    Visitor, Henryville, PA, November 03, 2011 06:52
    Bought car and for the first year no issues. A/C stopped working took it to dealer and they said that there is a hole in the condenser after charging me $100. They said it would cost $700 to fix.
    EddieE, Coloma, MI, August 28, 2011 16:17
    Bought my 2003,6 cyl. 4WD Escape, in 2004, with 74,000 miles on it. Whoever owned this car before I did drove a ton in one year! This car is great! One recall on it, something with the ABS Unit catching on fire, minor wear and tear, great 4WD. I had a major problem with the running lights and interior lights shutting off while driving, headlights remained on, found out it was a relay that had filled with water, because the water drain had clogged up, backflowing the water behind the fuse box, filling the relay with water. When it overheated, the lights went out! $230.00 repair, not bad, better than a $300.00 ticket!
  • 2011 Ford Escape
    Visitor, Thornwood, NY, August 21, 2011 12:51
    Bought this car new recently, love it except for one thing. It frequently has hesitation and surging. Mentioned it to the dealer but they basically blew me off and said something about putting more miles on it and "flex fuel is different" Now i have about 3500 miles on it and it still does it intermittently.
    Visitor, Glendale, AZ, June 24, 2011 15:52
    have had to replace the roters 3 times and completely replace the ENTIRE transmission. AC has always smelled like mold when you turn the car on. Have had to replace the battery 3 times. We'll probably never buy another Ford again. We're just holding our breath until the next repair to it. Hate this SUV.
    Jerry TC, Brandon, FL, March 31, 2011 13:10
    Best vehicle I ever owned.
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, March 12, 2011 11:59
    one of the best cars I ever bought
    Visitor, Sebring, FL, February 22, 2011 05:49
    Debra McClelland Sebring, FL. February 22, 2011 Best vehicle I ever bought. Have had almost 6 years only replaced battery. Been rear ended twice-no damage to my vehicle.Love it !!!!! thank you Ford.
    Visitor, Ravenna, OH, February 16, 2011 07:09
    One of the best vehicles I have ever owned, and I have owned several. Just installed a new battery after (5) years. Brake pads of course and new wiper blades. Will keep this car for many years. The clearcoat sealer Ford used keeps the car looking new, even in our severe winters. The only con: tires that come with are cheapies, loud and rough ridinig. Switched to Michelin's and what a difference.
    woodshopboss, Goliad, TX, February 15, 2011 13:30
    2007 ford escape bought it new and it now has over 80,000 miles on it. During the time i have owned it,, Ive had to replace the Engine, transmission output seals, two alternators, two AC Compressors, two serpintine belts, tensioner pulley, half of the exhaust, two complete brake jobs, and a window regulator with motor because the cable broke. Thank God I bought the extended warranty, it paid for the engine and the transmission seals everything else was out of pocket
    Visitor, Taylorsville, NC, February 07, 2011 14:56
    I have owned a 2003 Escape for 5 years. It now sits in the yard with a transmission that has completely failed. The white paint has started peeling off in large patches on the roof and the back hatch around the rear window. It leaks oil and it chews up front break pads like chewing gum. And it has horrible gas mileage. This is the worst vehicle I have ever owned! I DO NOT recommend it to anyone. It will cost over $2,000 just to get the transmission fixed, then I'm sure something else will break down on it after that.
    Visitor, Huntertown, IN, January 25, 2011 15:51
    I bought my 2005 Escape XLT used over a year ago. Absolutely love this vehicle! Obviously, since it's used and almost 6yrs old, I expect to have to replace things on it eventually. So far, it's been only brakes. Which do not cost much when you do the work yourself. Numberous friends have owned the same vehicle for much longer than I have and they've had no problems. I would buy this vehicle over and over again!!
    Brian Glastetter, Nuevo, CA, January 02, 2011 20:47
    My wife says that this is the best vehicle that she has ever owned. Good visability when changing lanes and parking. No major issues. We plan to own this vehicle a long time.
    Visitor, Galesburg, IL, December 30, 2010 19:51
    I just bought my 03 escape in sept and man i love it I love to drive it it seems ford made this vehicle for me , It was like it was made just for me , It drives great looks great, I m a poor cat but it makes me feel rich when Im in it . Thanks Ford for making my suv and thak Honda /toyota for having in stock for me to buy . AWESOME RIDE !!!!!!
    Visitor, East Syracuse, NY, December 22, 2010 09:40
    Purchased 2003 Ford Escape Limited 3.0 V6 Feb 2010-veh had 40K on it, currently has 56K. Replaced belt/hoses in July, ignition coil in December, and now FULL brakes, pads, calipers, ect to the tune of 1200.00 this week. Would NOT recommend this vehicle to anyone!! Currently attempting to get dealer to replace.d
    Visitor, Vandergrift, PA, December 13, 2010 14:54
    Had numerous problems. Ignition switch went bad twice Rear seat would not latch twice Transmission oil cooler leaked Seats stain very very easy Tailgate rattle
    Visitor, Harpers Ferry, WV, December 11, 2010 00:20
    I bought it new in April '04 now has 207,445 miles on the V6 and still runs like new, no repairs outside of normal maintance.Thanks Ford
    Visitor, Batesburg, SC, December 02, 2010 09:22
    I own a 2007 FORD ESCAPE it has 48,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new. It was in snow country for 3 months. Took it for brakes yesterday and the mechanic showed me and made me very aware that the whole entire under carriage is rusted out. He just broke pieces of my brakes, rotors,calipers right off. The exhaust is same way,cables,wiring,horn,radiator,battery box & spots on the frame!!! I can not understand it..what do I do now.
    AshleyChereBeaver, Bennett, CO, November 14, 2010 21:55
    I bought my Escape in November 2006 and I LOVE it. It is perfect for my young family of four. It is great on gas and comfort for the 70mile round trip commute that I drive 5 days a week. I am very consistant with my 3,000 mile oil changes and orther required maintenance and I couldn't ask for a more reliable vehicle. I think as long as a person is driving their vehicle the way that it is intended, any vehicle should last a long time.
    Visitor, Millsboro, DE, September 30, 2010 17:47
    have 2010 escape,seems to be ok except when i push down on excelator for fast pickup and it seemes to hesatate took shop they sayed couldn't find anything wrong.but i no there is,don't no what to do could someone out there help because i don't think ford knows.you want me to give stars to soon to really tell.
    Visitor, Joliet, IL, September 15, 2010 08:54
    Where do I start, welll I just paid $4,000 to get a new transmission installed, The truck only had 73k miles on it the transmission went out. The brakes whre out very fast I bought it new in 2002 and already had two brake jobs costing over $400 each. I also had to replace front suspension parts , tie rods, upper/lower control arms damaged by regular wear and tear on street driving. Rust is forming in the inside rear door wells. The radio keeps jam ming my cds inside. Connector to one of the headlights shorted out,(plastic was melting) lucky truck didn't catch on fire. Vehicle sensative to high moisture air, trys to stall when humidity is very high. This will be my last Escape
    Visitor, Homer Glen, IL, September 09, 2010 08:16
    I had to replace bad Ford brake rotors twice and had a complete transmission failure at 105,000 miles. Also replaced two ignition coils on the front due to moisture problems. It's a shame because the car runs and drives great when not in need of repair.
    knight15, Ninety Six, SC, August 27, 2010 20:20
    I bought my 2001 Escape for my wife in New Jersey. It was on an angled ramp waiting for me to by it. The Escape is yellow and black. The truck looks like it would have been on a set for Bay Watch. I maintained it from the start and it now has 138,000 miles. It needed repairs since I had it. I can not complain because my wife and I have never missed a day of work since I bought it. If you take care of your truck the truck will take care of you! My truck is as clean as the day I set eyes on it.
    agk, Vero Beach, FL, August 13, 2010 07:54
    bought leftover 2009 alot of wear /tear my daughter users it for school round trip 80 miles aday so far 56000 miles one set new tires one tensionbelt bearing and ac blowerresister "very pleased" with truck
    mstrouble, Winston Salem, NC, July 14, 2010 17:07
    I brought this Escape in 2005, used great only problem water pump replaced April, 2010 and now I need to have the A/C Compressor replaced July, 2010. Other than that I love my Escape with her 120,000 miles.
    Visitor, Fritch, TX, May 29, 2010 18:03
    Have owned the car since Dec 09--a good handling car, comfortable and good gas mileage..cons: If you are buying the car to tow behind a motor home (4 down) talk to the ?transmision guy...too much fluid in the trans, and you smoke the transmission...the Ford Motor Co...screwed up on this one... I just received a "recall" on the trans monitor..have to take it in for adjustment...the trans is shifting rough and shifting alot..so guess Ford kinda screwed up on this trans...would I buy another one????I would have to do some more review of other vehicles before I purchased another Escape...
    Visitor, Greenwood, SC, May 27, 2010 21:18
    Thanks Ford for a great truck
    mydogholly, Irvine, CA, May 02, 2010 12:17
    This car was great until about 60k miles and since then has required many repairs. Brakes are expensive to repair and at 108k miles it has failed a smog test. Fabric on interior door panels began peeling off even on passanger side which is rarely used. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. Hopefully newer models are better.
  • 2006 Ford Escape
    Visitor, Mobile, AL, April 29, 2010 08:35
    I still have mine and very pleased. The only thing that I had problem, 2yrs ago. gave it gas and it felt like something was blocking the paddle, that's what it felt like, came to be there's a" rubber ring like" and it got hard durning winter,got it replaced and now no problems. Regular maint. and 48,000 miles plus and still going. Great for all my granddaughters.
    Visitor, Deming, NM, April 11, 2010 07:50
    One of the nicest vehicles I have ever owned. I traded a 2006 Mercedes for this car and I don't regret it. So far, I can find nothing about this vehicle that I don't like. It rides nice, gets good mileage (I got the 4 banger), looks great insidea and out, and it has a great Satellite Radio. For the money, this is a great buy.
    Visitor, Wesley Chapel, FL, April 10, 2010 09:36
    The wife and I bought a 6cyl Escape with the tow package brand new in 2004. It has over 100,000 miles and still runs strong. Had to replace the brakes and a couple of batteries, but an all around decent vehicle. In Florida it gets HOT. The transmission and oil coolers keep it running cool and smooth. Safe decent gas mileage and dependable.
    Visitor, Detroit, MI, April 01, 2010 17:46
    I absolutely think this vehicle is a homerun. It is big enough to carry all kinds of stuff, small enough to be economical, tall enough to haul through all kinds of snow or rain. It just seems to be a good all around vehicle. We have had ours for seven years with only front brakes being done and regular oil changes.
    joshballz, Dover, PA, March 29, 2010 08:40
    We've had this car about 5 years, and we bought it used. Certainly not the most reliable car we've ever had. Like another reviewer, we've had to constantly replace the battery/alternator. We've taken it to multiple mechanics, including dealers, with no luck. Looks like we may be due for another, as every time we give it gas, the battery light faintly comes on. We've also had to replace the tone rings in addition to a few other minor repairs. Even regular maintenance can get fairly expensive as the vehicle seems poorly engineered and can be difficult to get to common things like the spark plugs. The car already has paint peeling and is starting to rust out in places . Probably our last Ford Escape.
    Visitor, Warren, MI, March 28, 2010 14:13
    Could be a Better
    corona98, Sandstone, MN, March 22, 2010 12:44
    About the Worst vehicle I ever purchased, I will never buy another Ford vehicle because its going to cost me about $3000 to fix. And now I'm finding out that other people have had the same problems as me. I haven't even had the vehicle for a year yet. The vehicle started skipping but only did it one day, so I brought it in and they found the rear wheel bearing was out but no other problems found. 2 days later, I couldn't start my vehicle and when it finally started it was completely skipping and wouldn't accelerate to much, the RPM's had to go really high in order for it to shift. Brought it back into the dealership (not the one I bought it at)and they had to call the ford hotline because when they put it on the computer it was saying there was no problems, so they called and they suggested they change all the coil packs, which they did but it didn't change anything so now there saying it will need a new computer in it but that I can't get a new computer until June 15th.
    andrewminchew, Houston, TX, December 17, 2009 09:48
    This has been a great vehicle for me, I have had it for about 2.5 years and haven't had any trouble out of it.
    Blue Water, Brandon, FL, September 10, 2009 12:14
    Best vehicle I ever owned. Road noise is an issue, later models adjusted for that. Only issues were idle control valve (needed replacement, used to be listed as a common problem on this site); and the DPFE EGR Sensor mentioned under Common problems here. Outstanding little truck.
    sharonkaye, Fairdale, KY, April 08, 2009 16:51
    I own a 2003 Escape Limited and I love it. It drives and rides as well as the Lincoln Continental I owned previously. The height gives me better visibility of the road and there is plenty of room for 5 people. The lift gate has a cover that can be used to conceal anything in the rear of the vehicle. It also has 4 wheel drive which was an added bonus. We have only experienced minor problems which our Ford dealer resolved quickly. My next new vehicle will definitely be an Escape.
    jell, Johnstown, PA, February 22, 2009 11:00
    Problem with dead batteries.3 replacements. Replace alternator. No help from ford! Found out cause of electrical problems was bad GEM module. Had to trouble shoot myself. Had dead battery problems while still in warrenty, only to be told that there were no codes. Only 15000 miles. Also replaced front rotors and pads. For should had known about these problems.Otherwise satisified with vehicle in general.