Problem Description and Possible Solution
Spark plug tube seals fail, causing the tubes to fill with engine oil and the engine to misfire. As a result, the engine may run poorly and fuel economy can suffer.
Problem DataRepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 135,905 (55,000–184,678)
Engines affected: 2.0L 4 Cylinder, 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC
29 people reported this problem
Engine would hesitate..stutter, especially noticeable at stop lights or low idle conditions.
Replacing spark plugs and found heavy oil on the plugs when I pulled them out, heavy dripping oil, on spark plugs 2,3 and 4.
my car has been smoking bad for about a month going through 8 quarts of oil throughout the week. and i mean they would go empty the other day my car started shaking really really bad and at a red light would act like it wanted to stall . i change the valve gasket and the spark plugs but the spark plus valve seals we cant get out Any ideas how to get them out seems they are dry rotted . I took it to pep boys and they did the check engine light scan and said it was a misfire on #2 i was told a tune up would help anyone else fix the problem yet ? how'd you do it .
Check engine light came on, code reader gave number 1 misfire. Replaced spark plugs, but have not replaced seals yet.
My neon has had this problem for months, getting worse and worse. It started struggling one day while I was coming home and it has gotten worse. Now it has a hard time just getting up to 30 mph. They're was oil in the spark plug and my dad cleaned it out, tightened a loose cap and could not find any air leaks yet I have 2 codes for them. My car isn't fixed yet.
Found oil in the spark plug tubes when changing spark plugs. Purchased a gasket set and lock tight for slip connections. Purchased break cleaner and electrical connection cleaner and dialectic grease.
Removed ten valve cover screws, pcv valve and hose in rear.
Removed valve cover, spark plugs and tubes. Found that three tubes were lifted and only one was seated. The three that were lifted came out with valve cover, I removed the other tube by inserting a snug fitting socket to take up space and twisting it free with vice grips. Cleaned the valve cover and removed and replaced seals and gasket. Replaced grommets on ten screws. Cleaned the tubes with brake cleaner. Cleaned the tube holes in block with brake cleaner wicked dry with newspaper. Covered tube slip fit with locktite and replaced tubes. Seated tubes with block of wood and hammer. Replaced cover. Torqued screws to 9ft lbs. working from inside out, hand tight first then torque. Cleaned spark plug wires with electrical cleaner. Added dialectic grease to connections and replace pcv and hose to valvecover.
it had very bad pick up, checked spark plug and all but 1 was filled with oil, had to change the plugs and the seals.