Engine will not start - Electronic Control Module problem. on Volvo XC90

Average mileage: 107,231 (40,000–147,000)
Engines affected: 2.5L 5 Cylinder Turbo, 2.9L 6 Cylinder, 2.9L 6 Cylinder Turbo, 3.2L 6 Cylinder
4 model years affected: 2004, 2005, 2011, 2013
8 people reported this problem
5 people shared problem details
2004 Volvo XC90- 2.5L 5 Cylinder Turbo116,000
When driving my 2004 xc90 it would just cut out completely and the steering and brake's would go all heavy this is a very dangerouse issue and it is definatly a safety issue and there should be a recall as the other poster said that it's water getting into the ECM and causing this problem. I will be reporting this to the relevant vehicle safety department. Also i have looked at other VOLVO FORUM'S and it seem's like quite a few people are experiancing the same problem. This should be a RECALL because it is dangerouse to drive a car with a potential ECM failure issue. If you have the same problem then please report to the relevant authority indicating this is a safety issue. I can't beleive that volvo have not initiated a RECALL on this very seriouse issue. Thank's
Upvoted (13)Flag Inappropriate
2004 Volvo XC90- 2.9L 6 Cylinder Turbo90,000
On several occasions the car would not start. When the key was turned nothing would happen. Car was towed 3 times. First time they stated it was the starter motor. Second time new battery. Third time it was the electronic control module that needed replacememt. A common problem as I under. I believe that all 3 times it was the ECM. Water leakage can get into the unit via a poorly designed rubber grommet (seal). Only the Volvo dealerhip can replace/programme the unit. Cost to replace $1250 (excluding towing and preliminary diagnosis etc.)not covered by Volvo. Whole repair was about $1500 in the end. On the plus side the mileage went up by almost 4 mpg. (by the way, if you are handy and your starter needs replacing its a very easy since its located at the upper front of the engine.)
Upvoted (12)Flag Inappropriate
2011 Volvo XC90- 3.2L 6 Cylinder40,000
Actually, I have a 2011 C30 with the same problem. The first time the module went the car would not start and the keyless entry would not work. They replaced the module in May of 2013. Since then I will go to start and nothing would happen until the second try. I have complained to the dealership but they could not duplicate the problem. It seems to happen when it is wet out, which was mentioned by someone else. It is now April 2014 and the keyless entry went crazy, the locks kept going up and down and a terrible clicking noise that would not stop. I went to a local car shop and they disconnected the fuse to the doors. Then the fuse box clicked all the way down to the dealer, where they told me it was the module again! was bad. And its a rainy day. If moisture is the problem, they should fix it as a recall. I have had it.
2005 Volvo XC90- 2.5L 5 Cylinder Turbo128,000
Crank but wont start, lost power while driving. I happen to be in a neighborhood street so I just parked to the side, but could potentially be dangerous if in a different situation.
2004 Volvo XC90- 2.9L 6 Cylinder Turbo122,390
So I was at my local BMV. When i came outside and tried to leave, but it wouldnt unlock, so I just put my key in the key slot and did it manualy, Then it wouldnt start. so I unplugged the batterey and plugged it back in and it worked.
Is there a special tool needed to remove the Engine Control Module in a Volvo XC 90?
My check engine light came on and my car just died while I was driving it. I have a 2005 XC90...
There have been problems with the climate control system not working at times. Volvo has made a...
In the third week of June I took my car in for routine dealer maintenance. They changed the rea...
Hello, I am in need of some help as my family just purchased a used 2006 XC90 about 3 months...