Car Problem Reports

Hyundai Santa Fe Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Hyundai Santa Fe Problem
87 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Engines Affected: 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 2.7L V6, 3.3L V6, 3.5L V6

Average Mileage: 91,806 mi (5,000 mi - 220,000 mi)

Verified

The crankshaft position sensor may fail, causing engine stalling or a failure to start. Replacement or the failed sensor will commonly correct this problem.

• Angelinamarie, , 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 62,000 mi

While driving my car around 25mph, without warning it suddenly died. Luckily I was traveling on a street that did not have alot of traffic and I was able to get my vehicle off of the road. I waited about 30 minutes, and then it started. This is my only vehicle, and I am a single mother with 4 children, so over the course of the next couple of weeks I continued to drive it, only when absolutely necesary and each time (approximately 7-8 times)the same thing would happen. I began to troubleshoot the problem online, and learned that other people were experiencing the same problem. The most troubling issue is that even when people have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, often times they still experienced the same problem or worse yet, their car would not even fire up. (and these were the lucky people that hadn't already spent alot of money replacing parts that didn't solve the problem either.) So I am really confused as to what to do from here......I cannot afford to take it to the dealer, which i was told that it will run about $300.00 to replace the cps, and then it still not work. After learning that so many consumers were having this problem,I am very dissapointed in Hyundai and they aren't doing anything about it!

• Visitor, , 2.4L 4 Cylinder

engine stalling while driving

• Visitor, , 2.7L V6, 75,000 mi

While driving along the engine "hiccups" just once. It doesn't do it everyday, just once in a while.To make a long story short, the "crankshaft position sensor" was bad. The sensor costs about $60 and is very easy to put in.(less than an hour) The wires rot on the sensor and touch each other causing a signal loss from the sensor. By the way; crankshaft sensors usually don't throw a code.

• Visitor, , 2.7L V6, 46,000 mi

On Feb. 2011 my engine began stalling and jerking until it turned off. Engine light immediately went on. Took it to dealership and was told a cylinder was misfiring and the program "computer box" was updated. Since then my engine drives and sounds like a pinto, loud engine accelaration and rattling under hood.

AGAIN, October 2011 engine began stalling, jerking and would not accelerate past 10 miles and hour. Engine light turned on again. Again had towed to dealership and was told TWO cylinders were misfiring. Dealer kept my car for 6 days. I was told they were working with Hyundai Tech Line which was explained to me by service manager that usually problem has to be a bigger issue for his dept to contact 'tech line'. Again was told program 'computer box' was replaced with new version and that problem was fixed. I'm deadly afraid to drive my car on long trips, given that I am a single mom and both times this issue occurred at night. SOMEONE NEEDS TO HELP!

• Visitor, , 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 42,000 mi

Driving down road and all of a sudden the car just shut off. From the stopped position I put the car in park and tried to restart it. The car would start up fine but roughly 4-7 seconds later the car shuts off by itself again. From what I've been researching the Santa Fe's have a faulty "Crank-Shaft Sensor" in which it makes the SVU just shut off while driving. The manufacture knows of this problem but continues to ignore any and all permanent solutions. This problem isn't the worst part though! The worst part is having to pay anywhere from $300 to $500 to have it fixed.

• Visitor, , 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 97,000 mi

Driving down road and dies. Then will start and run for a few miles. Changed the fuel pump and worked fine for two weeks then died again. Was told it was the crankshift position sensor, replaced that and now will not fire at all

• Visitor, , 3.5L V6

This 2010 Santa Fe went in for its very first oil change at 1100 miles, and they reported this issue right at the dealership, as the car began to run roughly right in front of them. Imagine, a brand new car! Shame on Hyundai for having this issue for 10 years and not fixing it! This is my first Hyundai automobile. Hmmmm.......

• aputur, , 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 98,000 mi

Replacing the crankshaft for the 2nd time this year

• Visitor, , 2.7L V6, 78,500 mi

car shuts off and will not restart

• matthewmurphy, , 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 138,000 mi

stalls 3or4 sec after starting.

+ See more reports