Engine May Stall or Fail to Start Due to a Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Hyundai Santa Fe

The crankshaft position sensor may fail, causing engine stalling or a failure to start. Replacement or the failed sensor will commonly correct this problem.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 95,350 (150–220,000)
Engines affected: 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 2.7L V6, 3.3L V6, 3.5L V6
13 model years affected: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, more2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
139 people reported this problem
78 people shared problem details
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder62,000
While driving my car around 25mph, without warning it suddenly died. Luckily I was traveling on a street that did not have alot of traffic and I was able to get my vehicle off of the road. I waited about 30 minutes, and then it started. This is my only vehicle, and I am a single mother with 4 children, so over the course of the next couple of weeks I continued to drive it, only when absolutely necesary and each time (approximately 7-8 times)the same thing would happen. I began to troubleshoot the problem online, and learned that other people were experiencing the same problem. The most troubling issue is that even when people have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, often times they still experienced the same problem or worse yet, their car would not even fire up. (and these were the lucky people that hadn't already spent alot of money replacing parts that didn't solve the problem either.) So I am really confused as to what to do from here......I cannot afford to take it to the dealer, which i was told that it will run about $300.00 to replace the cps, and then it still not work. After learning that so many consumers were having this problem,I am very dissapointed in Hyundai and they aren't doing anything about it!
2003 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.7L V675,000
While driving along the engine "hiccups" just once. It doesn't do it everyday, just once in a while.To make a long story short, the "crankshaft position sensor" was bad. The sensor costs about $60 and is very easy to put in.(less than an hour) The wires rot on the sensor and touch each other causing a signal loss from the sensor. By the way; crankshaft sensors usually don't throw a code.
2008 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.7L V646,000
On Feb. 2011 my engine began stalling and jerking until it turned off. Engine light immediately went on. Took it to dealership and was told a cylinder was misfiring and the program "computer box" was updated. Since then my engine drives and sounds like a pinto, loud engine accelaration and rattling under hood. AGAIN, October 2011 engine began stalling, jerking and would not accelerate past 10 miles and hour. Engine light turned on again. Again had towed to dealership and was told TWO cylinders were misfiring. Dealer kept my car for 6 days. I was told they were working with Hyundai Tech Line which was explained to me by service manager that usually problem has to be a bigger issue for his dept to contact 'tech line'. Again was told program 'computer box' was replaced with new version and that problem was fixed. I'm deadly afraid to drive my car on long trips, given that I am a single mom and both times this issue occurred at night. SOMEONE NEEDS TO HELP!
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder42,000
Driving down road and all of a sudden the car just shut off. From the stopped position I put the car in park and tried to restart it. The car would start up fine but roughly 4-7 seconds later the car shuts off by itself again. From what I've been researching the Santa Fe's have a faulty "Crank-Shaft Sensor" in which it makes the SVU just shut off while driving. The manufacture knows of this problem but continues to ignore any and all permanent solutions. This problem isn't the worst part though! The worst part is having to pay anywhere from $300 to $500 to have it fixed.
2005 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.7L V678,500
car shuts off and will not restart
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder
engine stalling while driving
2006 Hyundai Santa Fe135,000
I have a 3.5L 2006 Santa Fe - first my tachometer started acting funny...then several days later my engine performance severely decreased. The engine idles roughly and jerks forward when I stop. Everything shakes when i go 55-60 mph & i hear random clunks from the driver side under the hood. My check engine light is reading code P320. Took my car to a local Merchants who told me it was a manifold gasket - I didn't believe that based on the code being for the cam & crankshaft sensors. Then I took it to the dealership to run their computer on...they also came up with an off the wall answer that just didn't make sense (plus a lot of other services I HAD to have done...because it's a dealer...and they want my $$$). I took matters into my own hands and replaced the Ignition Fairure Sensor - that fixed the tach. Now I am getting ready to replace the Crankshaft Sensor and I am having a hard time finding where it is located. It seems every engine size it is located somewhere different and I cannot find much info on the 3.5L engine - anyone have any insight into this?? This is like my ongoing car repair hell...I might add that I am a 27 year old female with very little knowledge of car mechanics so if you can be pretty specific on where to locate the crankshaft sensor, that would be helpful:)
2001 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder98,000
Replacing the crankshaft for the 2nd time this year
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder97,000
Driving down road and dies. Then will start and run for a few miles. Changed the fuel pump and worked fine for two weeks then died again. Was told it was the crankshift position sensor, replaced that and now will not fire at all
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe- 3.5L V6
This 2010 Santa Fe went in for its very first oil change at 1100 miles, and they reported this issue right at the dealership, as the car began to run roughly right in front of them. Imagine, a brand new car! Shame on Hyundai for having this issue for 10 years and not fixing it! This is my first Hyundai automobile. Hmmmm.......
2001 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder138,000
stalls 3or4 sec after starting.
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder60,000
Engine stalls when pulling out from a stop sign, or may hesitate when driving down the road.
2005 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.7L V633,798
engine shuts off while driveing also parked at times won,t start
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder5,000
engine continually stalls when slowing down or at a stop although they aare still trying to diagnos problem and yet to arrive to answer.
2003 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder65,000
The car jerks and turns off while driving. I've had the coils, timing belt and crankshaft position sensor replace, but the car still continues to jerk and occasionally turn off while driving. I am paying the car off to a financing company, and cannot return it. I called Hyundai USA to complain, to no avail. I only drive the car within a 2 mile radius from my home, where the car still misbehaves at 30 mph. I have no clue what to do with the car! I love the space inside the car, but hate that it doesn't work! arghhh!
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder
We had the crank shaft sensor replaced a year after buying it, and now 8 years later it needs to be replaced again. And thus isn't a recall? ! Seriously :(
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder89,000
same problem going down the road at 55mph and car just cuts off, would not start back up. had to waite 1/2 hour before it would start up, made it home. went to auto zone hooked it up to the machine and it saids it is the crankshaft sensor $90.00 + tax, now i need a diagram on how to replace it. going to try to fix it myself i don't have $300.00-$500.00 to replace it. this is really bad of hyundai for not putting a recall on this. alot of buyers are complaining and nothing is done. maybe when these buyers don't re-buy hyundai they will know why!!! you are suppose to stick by your vehicles and what you sell. fix the problem. you should pay for all these parts and labor. how would you like it, to be broke down on the side of the road with your family and children in 100 degree weather. not so cool. hyundai you better wake up.
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder85,000
Car stalled, lost power and died, needed to replace crankshaft sensor
2003 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder73,000
Vehicle jerked and then the engine stopped as I was trying to pull over to the side of the road. I was able to get the crankshift sensor (and timing belt) fixed after a week of trying to find the problem and the correct part. Then about a year-and-a-half later, it happened again. I had the faulty part replaced only to find that a month later, my engine is bucking like a bronco - but not all the time. I am waiting to find out how much this is going to cost me now...
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe- 2.4L 4 Cylinder117,000
similar issue..Purchased as second owner in 05 with only 35,000 miles. 2009 catalytic converter replaced crankshaft sensor and timing belt replaced. since then had all sensors replaced within the past year 2012-2013 I've now had crankshaft its self replaced 3 times. April of this year my timing belt prematurely snapped damaging engine. Had to have intake valves replaced and sealed...I love stick shift Santa Fe but now at just 114000 check engine light came on again this time saying po101 Mass air flow which was also just changed within the past year. starting to feel Hopeless at 114000 I should be able to go another 100,000. 2014 back in the shop again throwing 5 codes ~ Jenny Melgar
I have had it diagnosed at least 3 times, including once by Hyundai Dealership. Codes for Camsh...
Original problem: Vehicle heats up and does not restart. After two hours vehicle would restar...
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/...
Changed out battery. Due for AZ emissions 2 days later. 02 Heat Sensor & Evap sensors showing N...