"Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Mercedes-Benz CLK320

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 99,151 (41,000–203,456)
8 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, more2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
37 people reported this problem
23 people shared problem details
Crank no start. Replaced CPS
3 people like thisFlag inappropiate
I would be driving along and the car would die. The dash lights would come on and I'd have to coast to a stop. When the car cooled off, it would start again. Turned out to be crankshaft position sensor failure.
2 people like thisFlag inappropiate
a/c switch not working thats why no a/c
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
The car would turn on (when cold) and would run until the car's temp went above 80degrees C. The car would then just die on me. The first time it happened, I waited in the car and researched online what the problem could be using my iPhone. By the time I found the answer to the problem, the car had cooled enough to re-start and get me back on my way. The nice thing was, I was able to research the problem online in a matter of minutes. My mechanic was surprised I knew what the problem was and how the part needed to fix it. $120 and 45 minutes later, my car was as good as new.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
My car stalled and would not start again. Even worse, I was on Market St in San Francisco and blocking Muni light rail cars. I had the car towed to my mechanic who diagnosed and repaired the problem by replacing the crankshaft position sensor.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
Crankshaft Position Sensor failed got to work and car wouldn't start.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
The car stalled while sitting at a traffic light. It wouldn't re-start for some minutes. After re-start, the problem increased the next day refusing to start altogether. After sitting another day, it re-started with the "Check Engine" light on. The shop replaced the Crank Position Sensor.
Car shut off at traffic light in heavy traffic. Car would turn over but not start. After three attempts to start, engine finally started. Check engine light remained on afterwards. Crankshaft Position Sensor had to be replaced.
Crank position sensor replaced
Cranks, won't start.
Engine light comes on.. car sometimes will not start.. cranks over but doesn't fire. Just started happening.. haven't had it checked out yet.
car cut off at red light engine light came when the car cooled down it came back on engine went off. Took it a repair shop said it was the crankshaft sensor said the part is $60.00 but located in a difficult place. $377.00 to get fix
when turned the key to start, it took little longer to crank what it usually does and the car has started, I immediately see the check engine light on my dashboard. Took a trip to Benz dealer, he checked the code and said the crankshaft position sensor has failed and need to replace. No safety issues but just might not start the car when engine is hot. It would start when cool down.Replaced the sensor for 450$ at the dealer.
Twice after parking the car for a short time it would turn over but not start when I was ready to leave. After lots of trying (5+ minutes) I could eventually get it running. Eventually the car started to stall when stopped in traffic but would restart after several tries. Diagnosis was "failed intermittent crank sensor" and cost will be $630 to fix.
Failed Crank Position Sensor caused intermittent problem starting / activated check engine light. Car has about 74K miles...
same exact problem with my clk. car will only start when cooled down.
Car would die at idle at not restart. Replaced Crackshaft position sensor. Problem resolved.
I had the crankshaft sensor replaced 3 years ago. I have to replace it again. Sometimes it will have to sit, then it will right up.
when the engine is hot it die 80 f
Benz would turn over but not catch. Occurred only before a 700-mile trip....thought everything was OK because Check Engine light went out and "No malfunctions" after driving the car the rest of the day...car started and ran perfectly. Midway through trip, car stop!!! Car is in shop as I write....estimated cost of fix...$500. Apparently, part is inexpensive, but located in a difficult-to-get-to area behind engine...mechanic's estimated time for job 2 hours!!
I need to replace the cam shaft position sensor. Can anyone tell me the exact location it is l...
Car has been running fine, then a big rainstorm, car in San Diego not used to rain, went to sta...
Can corruption from oil or other engine fluids leak on the senor and cause the sensor to go bad...
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/...
This sounds like my problem except the part where the car runs poor, it heats up and dies then...