Car Problem Reports

Mercedes-Benz CLK320 Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Mercedes-Benz CLK320 Problem
33 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

Average Mileage: 103,415 mi (48,000 mi - 203,456 mi)

Verified

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

• Visitor, , 117,000 mi

Crank no start. Replaced CPS

• Visitor, , 50,000 mi

I would be driving along and the car would die. The dash lights would come on and I'd have to coast to a stop. When the car cooled off, it would start again. Turned out to be crankshaft position sensor failure.

• Visitor, , 48,000 mi

Crankshaft Position Sensor failed got to work and car wouldn't start.

• Visitor, , 122,000 mi

Cranks, won't start.

• Visitor, , 97,000 mi

The car would turn on (when cold) and would run until the car's temp went above 80degrees C. The car would then just die on me. The first time it happened, I waited in the car and researched online what the problem could be using my iPhone. By the time I found the answer to the problem, the car had cooled enough to re-start and get me back on my way. The nice thing was, I was able to research the problem online in a matter of minutes. My mechanic was surprised I knew what the problem was and how the part needed to fix it. $120 and 45 minutes later, my car was as good as new.

• Visitor, , 101,000 mi

Engine light comes on.. car sometimes will not start.. cranks over but doesn't fire. Just started happening.. haven't had it checked out yet.

•  Rookie

My car stalled and would not start again. Even worse, I was on Market St in San Francisco and blocking Muni light rail cars. I had the car towed to my mechanic who diagnosed and repaired the problem by replacing the crankshaft position sensor.

• Visitor, , 92,000 mi

car cut off at red light engine light came when the car cooled down it came back on engine went off. Took it a repair shop said it was the crankshaft sensor said the part is $60.00 but located in a difficult place. $377.00 to get fix

• Visitor, , 85,000 mi

when turned the key to start, it took little longer to crank what it usually does and the car has started, I immediately see the check engine light on my dashboard. Took a trip to Benz dealer, he checked the code and said the crankshaft position sensor has failed and need to replace. No safety issues but just might not start the car when engine is hot. It would start when cool down.Replaced the sensor for 450$ at the dealer.

• Visitor, , 95,000 mi

Twice after parking the car for a short time it would turn over but not start when I was ready to leave. After lots of trying (5+ minutes) I could eventually get it running. Eventually the car started to stall when stopped in traffic but would restart after several tries. Diagnosis was "failed intermittent crank sensor" and cost will be $630 to fix.

+ See more reports