Car Problem Reports

Mercedes-Benz CLK500 Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Mercedes-Benz CLK500 Problem
14 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Average Mileage: 60,333 mi (30,000 mi - 90,000 mi)

Verified

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance. Communicating these specific symptoms to your technician can save diagnostic time.

• Visitor, , 47,000 mi

Had my car diagnosed ad it was not starting because of crankshaft positioning sensor. my question is how do you know which sensor? LEFT or RIGHT?

• Visitor, , 80,000 mi

the motor will not start if the car sets for a while the motor will start

• Visitor, , 90,000 mi

Engine stalled and several times to restart. Towed to MB $400 to replace CPS. 1.8 hrs labor and $167 for part.

• Visitor, , 45,000 mi

One day, the check engine light went on. Before I could get it to a shop, it died at a stop sign. I had it towed to a shop, and they diagnosed it as a bad crank position sensor. I got it fixed for $250. It's been running great for over a year since then.

• Visitor, , 67,000 mi

Yes same problem, car cut out in middle of backing up & would not restart & found it to be the sensor.

•  Rookie

My car was suddenly stop on the road without any notice, I tried to start but it didn't work, and I cannot pull over my car to the sideway. After 45 mins, I started my car and it worked, and the Check Engine light was on when I re-started my car. However; it stopped again after 10 mins driving. I took it to the dearler, they replaced the crankshaft position sensor.