Car Problem Reports

Cadillac Seville SLS Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Cadillac Seville SLS Problem
28 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004

Average Mileage: 108,215 mi (39,175 mi - 185,000 mi)

Verified

The crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to stall intermittently, the Check Engine Light may or may not illuminate.

• CAR WILL SHUT OFF WHEN AT A RED LIGHT OR STOP SIGN OR IN THE DRIVE WAY

• Visitor, , 80,000 mi

The Engine would stall when pulling out from a stop, but started right up again.
    Sometime it would chug when going down the road. Then the service engine light
    came on. That is when I had the codes read. My mechanic replaced both sensors
    in less than an hour without moving the motor mount.

• Visitor, , 90,000 mi

Car stalls and system fails when driving the vehicle.

• Visitor, , 143,000 mi

when i turn the key it wont start but if i keep turning it it will start

•  Rookie

I had the same problem and pepboys did the work but I had take my car back because the crankshaft position sensor failure and the part had to come from the cadillac dealer so there sayed.

• Visitor, , 39,175 mi

Without warning electrical system fails completely while driving and car rolls to a stop. Sometimes it starts again and all is well.
    At last encounter it would not start in Garage. Cadillac Service Dept. sold me a new battery - the old battery was 9 months old (Bosch)
    and send me on my way. 2 months later same thing happened. Took it to an Auto-Electric Shop and it was decided, it had to do with the crankshaft sensors and 2 components (out of 3) were replaced. It's running fine for now and I keep my fingers crossed.
    Wonder why the Dealer couldn't diagnose this problem.

• Visitor, , 67,000 mi

sounds like rods or valves knocking

• Visitor, , 62,000 mi

Engine quit while driving in traffic without warning and check engine light won't clear and stay off. It continues to occur numerous times and dealer say car check ok.

• Visitor, , 185,000 mi

exact same issue. Car is stalling and sputtering while driving and I have changed the crank sensors and still does it.