Cadillac
Catera

Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure on Cadillac Catera

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to stall while driving and/or will crank but not start, especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 107,566 (40,000–200,000)
Engine affected: 3.0L V6
5 model years affected: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, more2001
32 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 15 of 15 comments
Replaced crankshaft sensor. Car still will not start until cooled down.The oxigen sensor was replaced also. Can this be a thermostat-radiator problem
The car runs and then when try to start it like 5 minutes later it doesn't. I need to let the car off for about 1/2 hour.
My car won't start when hot even after 40 minutes?? Has to sit for over an hour for it to start. I've had the starter replaced a year&half ago, valve cover gasket changed, battery fully charged just don't get it. I'm a female & don't need to be dead in the water in the middle of the night.. Any suggestions?????
I bought this 1999 Cadillac Catera and lately it has shut down in traffic. During the winter it ran great. Now that it getting warmer it runs for a while, then stops by itself and cranks back up after 15-20 minutes. This may be my problem b/c it's grown to be tempermental and a little scary, especially in rush hour traffic
Car runs then just stops. After cool down, it will start again. Problem was only occasional, but has now become debilitating.
My car won't start when hot outside even after an hour?? Has to sit for over an hour or try early in the morning for it to start. I've had the battery and replaced crank sensor because Speedometer stop working and therefore mileage counter stopped. I just don't get it... Any suggestions???????
Engine quits while running and needs to be restarted
driving on rt 95 at 60 mph and car shut off and lost power.. car would only drive til engine was warm then shut off.. i still had a warrenty from the dealer i bought it from and was replaced at no cost to me..
i had to take my car in 5 times for service to cadillac dealer...It could never be fixed. I turned the car back in to dealer...They did not want to accept the car, so I stopped paying for it...It was then turned ovrr for reposseion...Even then the cadillac dealer tried to mak a deal with me to keep the car....never again will I buy a Catera cadillac or a cadillac car. Lots of problems with this car...also Oil leak issues..
Engine quits while running and needs to be restarted
The car stalls and dies when warmed up and will not restart until it cools down.
car shuts off when gas pedal is released have to restart
Same issue engine stalls out when it over heats and once it cool it starts right up but the performance sucks...
Stalls after 10 mins of driving then starts again ater 20 mins of been cooling ..
Had earlier problem of valve cover gasket leaks, about 1500 miles after that was fixed the car would not start after parking, cool down and restart. Twice it just stopped running and would not restart. Took to shop and dagnosis was crankshaft position sensor failure due to being saturated with oil, likely from previous valve cover gasket leak problem. Replaced sensor and now running OK but valve cover leak problem is returning so will need to pay attention.