"Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Mercedes-Benz E320

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 117,388 (23,000–300,000)
10 model years affected: 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999, more2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
115 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 20 of 73 problem details
Sometimes e320 starts and sometimes not. Don't have a good wait time corrlation as to how long to wait before it will start. Sometimes it will start after 30 minutes or so. Other times have to wait hours and other times have to wait over night. At this point in time the only thing for sure is that it will eventually start. Buy 2 new OEM keys and still same problem. Anyone, any ideals.
my 2005 e320 wagon won't start. the engine turn over but does not start . left it for about half hour and then it sararted. the next day i went to start it and it does not start.
does any one have answer to this problem. thanks
My car had trouble going up hills it would stall. I really think my engine is going to die. My girlfriend also noticed at times the car would not start but than it would start again. I notice constant hesitation when the rpm increases. My car will not start anymore I can crank it but it wont start. So on Thursday on my day off I will try to replace the Crank Position Sensor. I found a video on YouTube which is helpful the only thing is my car is a 2005 e 320 and the car he is doing the replacement on is a s500. The engine looks very similar. We will see what happens on Thursday.

Crankshaft Position Sensor from Autozone = $57

E8 Socket = $8

Magnetic Retriever = $1.99
crank and no start scenario... being left at the busy intersection of Las Vegas, helpless. Had to let the engine cool (30min) before having to start again.... but due to heavy traffic.... engine stopped at the next intersection again... sooooo pissed off for the heavy traffic I caused :( :( :( TripleA came to the rescue but before they hooked me on tow.... my engine started.... isn't that crazy? :( Benz such a shame!
I purchased the car used in 2010. I replaced two fuel pumps (diagnosed by the dealership) before someone figured out it was the crankshaft position sensor. It did not read as faulty. Symptoms at first were problems starting. It just wouldn't crank, but it was intermittent and getting worse. It finally started dying on me while driving - no sputtering, just stopping. Since replacing the crankshaft position sensor, the car has worked fine for three years but is now starting to have the intermittent starting problem again, especially when hot.
I got out the car after a short drive and the car would crank when I turned the ignition but would not start. It took several tries, but it finally started and the "check engine" light was illuminated. Took to local mechanic and they diagnosed it as "P0335 crank shaft position sensor". I am looking to take to a good mechanic. Mercedes dealership is too expensive.
I happened just like those listed above. But for worst the engine cut off twice while driviing right the busy intersectiong . felt so embarrassed while sit in the car and saw the looks of the people passing by
Just serviced two weeks prior, not detected as faulty. Drove without incident, parked 20 min, car would not kick over, starter would cycle without spark... hours later, started right up, as MB Tech predicted. $300 to replace at MB, $60 online, and did it Myself, Torx E8 socket needed.
do not start when hot. Wait to cool down and then start.
mercedes towed and fixed
Car will crank but not start after it has been running for about 1/2 hour and turned off. After it sits for about 15-20 minutes it will start again.
vehicle crank but does not start. When it does, its stalls more frequently.
new to this car - so it was towed to a certified mechanic - he replaced the sensor $290.00
Why is oil leaking from the engine on my 2002 Mercedes Benz E320
I am ashamed of my benz
98 e320 died in intersection often ... just shut down. would restart 30 minutes later;
At light after 45 minute trip on highway it just died. Towed home 30 miles and it started up.
Every so often it will not start. How every it has a strong crank but won't turn over. I let it sit for several minutes and try it again and it will start. The engine comes on when that happens.
Will start and run then I'll come to a light and it will stall out. I'll turn it off let it sit for 20 mins and it will start again
Car stalls at traffic light. needs time until it restarts again.