Car Problem Reports

Mercedes-Benz E320 Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Mercedes-Benz E320 Problem
54 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

Average Mileage: 112,274 mi (37,000 mi - 282,000 mi)

Verified

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

•  Rookie

My car had trouble going up hills it would stall. I really think my engine is going to die. My girlfriend also noticed at times the car would not start but than it would start again. I notice constant hesitation when the rpm increases. My car will not start anymore I can crank it but it wont start. So on Thursday on my day off I will try to replace the Crank Position Sensor. I found a video on YouTube which is helpful the only thing is my car is a 2005 e 320 and the car he is doing the replacement on is a s500. The engine looks very similar. We will see what happens on Thursday.

Crankshaft Position Sensor from Autozone = $57

E8 Socket = $8

Magnetic Retriever = $1.99

• Visitor, , 53,000 mi

I happened just like those listed above. But for worst the engine cut off twice while driviing right the busy intersectiong . felt so embarrassed while sit in the car and saw the looks of the people passing by

• Visitor, , 37,000 mi

Sometimes e320 starts and sometimes not. Don't have a good wait time corrlation as to how long to wait before it will start. Sometimes it will start after 30 minutes or so. Other times have to wait hours and other times have to wait over night. At this point in time the only thing for sure is that it will eventually start. Buy 2 new OEM keys and still same problem. Anyone, any ideals.

• Visitor, , 95,000 mi

my 2005 e320 wagon won't start. the engine turn over but does not start . left it for about half hour and then it sararted. the next day i went to start it and it does not start.
    does any one have answer to this problem. thanks

•  Rookie

I got out the car after a short drive and the car would crank when I turned the ignition but would not start. It took several tries, but it finally started and the "check engine" light was illuminated. Took to local mechanic and they diagnosed it as "P0335 crank shaft position sensor". I am looking to take to a good mechanic. Mercedes dealership is too expensive.

• Visitor, , 147,000 mi

Just serviced two weeks prior, not detected as faulty. Drove without incident, parked 20 min, car would not kick over, starter would cycle without spark... hours later, started right up, as MB Tech predicted. $300 to replace at MB, $60 online, and did it Myself, Torx E8 socket needed.

• Visitor, , 111,500 mi

Same issue as others described. Car cut off on me on the highway at 50 mph during my evening commute. Tried to start several times, but would not crank. The check engine light was on. Eventually after about 30 minutes or so it started (after car cooled off). I made it to my repair shop but then the engine shut off again and would not start. The mechanic knew what the problem was even before he tested for the check engine code... and it came up with a bad Crankshaft Position Sensor. Yes... Mercedes Benz should have a recall on this since it's happening to so many year models. What can we do to make this happen? Does anyone know? This is a very dangerous problem that gives no warning. We are out here driving with kids or alone at night.

•  Rookie

crank and no start scenario... being left at the busy intersection of Las Vegas, helpless. Had to let the engine cool (30min) before having to start again.... but due to heavy traffic.... engine stopped at the next intersection again... sooooo pissed off for the heavy traffic I caused :( :( :( TripleA came to the rescue but before they hooked me on tow.... my engine started.... isn't that crazy? :( Benz such a shame!

mercedes towed and fixed

• Happened to our car too. Same problem. This is very dangerous, the car can stall anywhere without any warning and cause a serious accident to happen. Report it to the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation Safety Administration) Vehicle Safety Complaint Dept. There is power in numbers! Very easy to report. Here is the information: http://www.safercar.gov/ -- then click on 'File a Complaint' on the right. Or call 1.888.327.4236

+ See more reports