"Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Mercedes-Benz E320

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 117,813 (23,000–300,000)
10 model years affected: 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999, more2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
112 people reported this problem
Viewing
of
problem details
2000 Mercedes-Benz E320 37,000 mi,
Sometimes e320 starts and sometimes not. Don't have a good wait time corrlation as to how long to wait before it will start. Sometimes it will start after 30 minutes or so. Other times have to wait hours and other times have to wait over night. At this point in time the only thing for sure is that it will eventually start. Buy 2 new OEM keys and still same problem. Anyone, any ideals.
2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 95,000 mi,
my 2005 e320 wagon won't start. the engine turn over but does not start . left it for about half hour and then it sararted. the next day i went to start it and it does not start. does any one have answer to this problem. thanks
My car had trouble going up hills it would stall. I really think my engine is going to die. My girlfriend also noticed at times the car would not start but than it would start again. I notice constant hesitation when the rpm increases. My car will not start anymore I can crank it but it wont start. So on Thursday on my day off I will try to replace the Crank Position Sensor. I found a video on YouTube which is helpful the only thing is my car is a 2005 e 320 and the car he is doing the replacement on is a s500. The engine looks very similar. We will see what happens on Thursday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KTTM3VeJuA8 Crankshaft Position Sensor from Autozone = $57 E8 Socket = $8 Magnetic Retriever = $1.99
crank and no start scenario... being left at the busy intersection of Las Vegas, helpless. Had to let the engine cool (30min) before having to start again.... but due to heavy traffic.... engine stopped at the next intersection again... sooooo pissed off for the heavy traffic I caused :( :( :( TripleA came to the rescue but before they hooked me on tow.... my engine started.... isn't that crazy? :( Benz such a shame!
I purchased the car used in 2010. I replaced two fuel pumps (diagnosed by the dealership) before someone figured out it was the crankshaft position sensor. It did not read as faulty. Symptoms at first were problems starting. It just wouldn't crank, but it was intermittent and getting worse. It finally started dying on me while driving - no sputtering, just stopping. Since replacing the crankshaft position sensor, the car has worked fine for three years but is now starting to have the intermittent starting problem again, especially when hot.
I got out the car after a short drive and the car would crank when I turned the ignition but would not start. It took several tries, but it finally started and the "check engine" light was illuminated. Took to local mechanic and they diagnosed it as "P0335 crank shaft position sensor". I am looking to take to a good mechanic. Mercedes dealership is too expensive.
2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 53,000 mi,
I happened just like those listed above. But for worst the engine cut off twice while driviing right the busy intersectiong . felt so embarrassed while sit in the car and saw the looks of the people passing by
2004 Mercedes-Benz E320 147,000 mi,
Just serviced two weeks prior, not detected as faulty. Drove without incident, parked 20 min, car would not kick over, starter would cycle without spark... hours later, started right up, as MB Tech predicted. $300 to replace at MB, $60 online, and did it Myself, Torx E8 socket needed.
2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 48,000 mi,
do not start when hot. Wait to cool down and then start.
mercedes towed and fixed
vehicle crank but does not start. When it does, its stalls more frequently.
1999 Mercedes-Benz E320 172,000 mi,
Car will crank but not start after it has been running for about 1/2 hour and turned off. After it sits for about 15-20 minutes it will start again.
2001 Mercedes-Benz E320 175,365 mi,
new to this car - so it was towed to a certified mechanic - he replaced the sensor $290.00
Why is oil leaking from the engine on my 2002 Mercedes Benz E320
1998 Mercedes-Benz E320 105,000 mi,
98 e320 died in intersection often ... just shut down. would restart 30 minutes later;
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 137,247 mi,
Every so often it will not start. How every it has a strong crank but won't turn over. I let it sit for several minutes and try it again and it will start. The engine comes on when that happens.
1997 Mercedes-Benz E320 136,201 mi,
I have a 97 e320 that want crank By if I poor gas in the troth body it will crank thin it cut off what going on
1997 Mercedes-Benz E320 110,000 mi,
Died when hot. Started cold. Changed out crank position sensor. No recurrence
2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 167,000 mi,
At light after 45 minute trip on highway it just died. Towed home 30 miles and it started up.