Car Problem Reports

Mercedes-Benz ML320 Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Mercedes-Benz ML320 Problem
32 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003

Average Mileage: 134,291 mi (60,000 mi - 272,000 mi)

Verified

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

• Visitor, , 167,000 mi

It has not been fixed yet. When I turn the key, i can hear the engine "click" and make a stalling noise. It usually ocurs after I've turned the car off and try to restart after about 15 minutes. I typically allow it to "cool off" and then it starts up fine. Occassionally, I will hear a stalling sound when I try to start it in the morning. It will start, but it sounds like it's stalling.

•  Rookie

the car stalls and won't start several times and it would not start sometime 30 or 40 minutes later, but still it won't go far before it stalls again.

• Visitor, , 135,000 mi

Car died at a stop light - every light on the dashboard came on - I tried to restart - almost sounded like it was running - waited about 15 minutes dorve it to a garage - unfortunately not Mercedes a new crankshaft POS was put in - still cut off.

• Visitor, , 127,000 mi

My car shuts off after running for approximately 10-15 mins. It shuts off when i come to a stop. I had the battery and alternator checked. I was told i need a fuel pump,then i was told i needed a starter. None of these answers felt right. So i decided to research the problem and im glad i did. By reading the other post it will save me some time and money thanks.I will post later after i have the crank shaft sensor replaced.

• Visitor, , 98,000 mi

Having the same issue, i've changed the battery, mass airflow sensor, and trottle position sensor, and still cranks and dont start, only after like 15-20mins. Then also another problem just came along, when it finally starts, it stays in 1st gear.

•  Rookie

My ML320 would run hot and shut off while I was driving or at a stoplight. My mechanic put on new fuel pump even though I had gotten a fuel on April 27, 2009. Now he thinks its the crankshaft position sensor.

• Visitor, , 118,000 mi

Engine would cut off at stoplight with no warning, but initially would instantly re-start. Next problem is trying to start car when engine is warm, would crank but not start. Then, after sitting overnight, would start back up just fine. Stalling and starting problems intermittent at first, but now more frequent. Getting ready to have CPS replaced to see if that resolves the issue.

• Visitor, , 161,463 mi

The car suddenly would not start. The engine would turn over, but never 'catch' and run, just continue the cranking over and over until the key was turned off. Letting it sit for anywhere from 45 minutes to 90 minutes would allow it to crank again. Took to my local mechanic, Diagnosis(DX) was a bad crankshaft sensor. Part replaced 3x due to faulty sensors being sent by parts dealer (all in one day) but finally my car will crank again. $217 for DX to out the door.

• car cranks and drives after a while it shuts off and will not start until after a few minutes and it cools off

• Visitor, , 79,000 mi

Car runs fine then without out warning it won't start. It cranks good, but engine won't start. If I let the engine cool down, it starts and runs fine for several days then without warning won't start with the engine warm.

+ See more reports