Car Problem Reports

Mercedes-Benz ML320 Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Mercedes-Benz ML320 Problem
35 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003

Average Mileage: 132,657 mi (60,000 mi - 272,000 mi)

Verified

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance.

• Visitor, , 167,000 mi

It has not been fixed yet. When I turn the key, i can hear the engine "click" and make a stalling noise. It usually ocurs after I've turned the car off and try to restart after about 15 minutes. I typically allow it to "cool off" and then it starts up fine. Occassionally, I will hear a stalling sound when I try to start it in the morning. It will start, but it sounds like it's stalling.

•  Rookie

the car stalls and won't start several times and it would not start sometime 30 or 40 minutes later, but still it won't go far before it stalls again.

• Visitor, , 135,000 mi

Car died at a stop light - every light on the dashboard came on - I tried to restart - almost sounded like it was running - waited about 15 minutes dorve it to a garage - unfortunately not Mercedes a new crankshaft POS was put in - still cut off.

• Visitor, , 127,000 mi

My car shuts off after running for approximately 10-15 mins. It shuts off when i come to a stop. I had the battery and alternator checked. I was told i need a fuel pump,then i was told i needed a starter. None of these answers felt right. So i decided to research the problem and im glad i did. By reading the other post it will save me some time and money thanks.I will post later after i have the crank shaft sensor replaced.

• Visitor, , 98,000 mi

Having the same issue, i've changed the battery, mass airflow sensor, and trottle position sensor, and still cranks and dont start, only after like 15-20mins. Then also another problem just came along, when it finally starts, it stays in 1st gear.

• car cranks and drives after a while it shuts off and will not start until after a few minutes and it cools off

•  Rookie

My ML320 would run hot and shut off while I was driving or at a stoplight. My mechanic put on new fuel pump even though I had gotten a fuel on April 27, 2009. Now he thinks its the crankshaft position sensor.

•  Rookie

I don't seem to have these common problems but I am being told it is the crank sensor.

My problem is the car starts ok and drives ok for about 30 miles or 30 minutes. Then if I try to accelerate above 50 mph - the car doesn't react - i put my foot flat down and it just stays at 50 mph - it doesn't stall or anything like that but then when i get to lights and stop the motor is very rough - like it is running on 4/5 cylinders. Does have anyone had a similar experience ?

I have many different answers from people.

1. they say rocker gasket broken and oil getting into spark plugs - dos make sense to me.

2. others they say changer spark plugs
    3. change leads
    4. change fuel filter.

Any help really appreciated.

Also suspension seems very rough - now I have ben told i have sports suspension - it there any way to smooth it out can i change anything on suspension.

Also what tyre air pressure should i put in the tyres some say 44 psi but that seems hight to me

thanks for a lll help

regards
    Ross

stopped not start only after cool off for more than 15 min

• Visitor, , 118,000 mi

Engine would cut off at stoplight with no warning, but initially would instantly re-start. Next problem is trying to start car when engine is warm, would crank but not start. Then, after sitting overnight, would start back up just fine. Stalling and starting problems intermittent at first, but now more frequent. Getting ready to have CPS replaced to see if that resolves the issue.

+ See more reports