I changed my heater core on my car......put everythin back and now the car doesnt want to start. I also changed the fuel filter and pump but that didn't solve the problem either.
Mercury Q&AAsk Your Question
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis Question: Engine cranks but car won't start
Answer #1DaveJHM April 11, 2011, 18:01Master
Changing the heater core should not really impact a starting issue. However, since you have to pull the dash, if you did not reconnect something around the ignition area, it's possible something may be causing the problem here. I would recommend retracing your steps in how you removed and installed it, and check every connection.
ReplyYoungGutta561, April 11, 2011, 19:06Rookie
I have retraced my steps 3x I havent seen anything that I have missed. I didnt remove any wires from the ignition area.
ReplyDaveJHM, April 11, 2011, 19:09Master
Next step would be to see what's missing - fuel, spark...
ReplyYoungGutta561, April 12, 2011, 17:07Rookie
Spark plugs were changed almost a year ago. Could they go out again that fast or woukd one with no spark cause it to not crank also
ReplyDaveJHM, April 13, 2011, 00:12Master
Spark plug "failure" could not cause a no crank. Also, even if one plug did not spark, the other 7 would allow the engine to start.
It's not the plugs causing your issue.
Your question initially says "engine cranks but car won't start". Your last post was asking if plugs would cause it not to crank. I'm confused - is your vehicle cranking or not?
ReplyYoungGutta561, April 13, 2011, 22:25Rookie
Yes its cranking but not starting....i was just askin because people r given me different senirios
ReplyDaveJHM, April 13, 2011, 23:52Master
What does your "THEFT" light in the instrument cluster do when it cranks? Stay on solid? Flash?
ReplyYoungGutta561, April 16, 2011, 19:14Rookie
I found out the problem. The wire was bad that ran to the fuel pump.......
Now my fuel gauge is showing full but its only 4 gallons of gas in my tank
ReplyDaveJHM, April 17, 2011, 02:09Master
If the gauge is "full" it means that the wire is probably open somewhere. Good luck.