The emissions air injection pump can seize, causing a loud squealing noise followed by smoke from the drive belt. If the engine is not turned off, the belt will break, turning on the alternator/battery warning light.
2 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 1 of 1 comments
Rattling noise and smoke from the belt, generally during startup and goes away while driving. Need to replace the AIP.
Most Common Mercedes-Benz E420 Problems
Most Recent Mercedes-Benz E420 Problems
Mercedes-Benz E420 Estimates
- Valve Cover Gasket Replacement ($388 - 492) in Mineral Springs, AR
- No Start Diagnosis ($88 - 111) in Oakdale, PA
- Tie Rod End Replacement - Inner ($265 - 408) in Olivia, NC
- EGR Valve Replacement ($212 - 309) in Bald Knob, AR
- Suspension Coil Spring Replacement ($302 - 354) in Lempster, NH
- Drive Belt Tensioner Replacement ($315 - 338) in Polo, MO