Electrical problem on 1996 Jaguar XJ6

Could you tell me where the security system contol is located. I cannot lock my car with the key or remote. Its all dead. Have tried to reprogramme remore but it doesnt work

by in Saint Louis, MO on February 25, 2009
1 answer 4 comments
ANSWER by on February 25, 2009
There is a complex method to reprogram the locking remote I have the bulletin at work. I will look for it and respond tomorrow night.
COMMENT by on February 25, 2009
Thank you very much for your efforts. Will continue to try and get it sorted. In the meantime if you come across any solutions, would appreciate eharing from you. I really appreciate your efforts
COMMENT by on February 26, 2009
Here are the instructions, first replace the batteries in your remotes. Open the trunk lid and driver's door. Turn the ignition key to the run position (2nd position) Open the center consule, cycle the valet switch switch 5 times, you will hear a chirp and the headlights will flash to signify the security system is going into learning mode. press the arm/lock button on the first remote, a single chirp will be heard to confirm transmitter recoding was accepted, the reprogramming times out if not done correctly after 15 seconds and emits two chirps. Rock the valet switch once. A chirp will be heard to allow you to start programing the second remote (if you have one). Press the lock/arming button on the second remote. Turn the ignition key off. Get out of the car, close the door and then the trunk lid. Clap you hands three times (joking!) This should complete the programming sequence. Of course all this sequence is relying on the remotes to be functioning correctly, the valet switch to work (I have seen them fail they are a simple switch continuity/no continuity). Sometimes I have had do the process twice to get the alarm programming sequence right. Try this and let me know how this works for you.
COMMENT by on February 26, 2009
PS: Security and locking control module is in the left side of the trunk toward the shock tower
COMMENT by on February 26, 2009
I just looked at several pages of wiring diagrams I was hoping to be able to tell you some tests to do back at the control module in the trunk but you absolutely need the full wiring diagram for the car. Jaguar manuals don't just have a line diagram for a system or circuit, everything ties in. There are several fuse boxes in this car. If you have good electrical knowledge and do some of your own repairs look into a company called Alldata. For under $30 (I think) you can buy an online workshop manual for your car for one years use. It includes Technical bulletins and lots of great information. If you do any of your own maintainence you would get great value out of their service for a fraction of the cost of buying the set of Jaguar manuals for your car.
My 1991 XJ-6 was running at idle in a parking lot...I went to drive on and turned on the headlights, (it was a rainy day) when all of the sudden the car totally dies...No electrical power what so e...
instrument panel stays on when ignition is off and will not turn off
My car sat in the garage without a battery for a year. I replaced the battery and now I can't put the car in gear nor does any of the dashboard information work (milage; gas etc)
Sometimes engine does not run+ door locking system does not work+ alarm system+ trunk open button and not back to life except after removing battery cords and reinstalled electrical cord before ear...
i have a 96 xj6 when you lock or unlock the door it do not beep no more it use to beep but not not more and now the security light came on when i drive the car the security light stays on.i checked...