Volvo Q&A

2000 Volvo S80 Question: DTSC light goes on when driving, is this an expensive problem to? fix

Visitor, 2.8L 6 Cylinder Turbo, Battle Ground, WA, November 25, 2010, 17:17

DTSC indicator light goes on after driving for a few minutes. Turned off the engine and then started again and the light went out for a few minutes but then came back on again. I am considering buying this car but want to know if this will be an expensive fix.

1 Answer

ZeeTech November 25, 2010, 17:45

If you would be my good friend, I'd tell yo to stay away from that car.
    Not only because of the DTSC light which could be the ABS/DSC computer, but many other reasons. Turbos and transmissions are failing quicker than a brake light bulb.
    Most repair are very time consuming, you will always pay a lot for labor. The parts are expensive also, you need to take it to a Volvo specialty shop or to the dealer because it requires the OE diagnostics for almost every repair, etc.....
    If you want a Volvo, I'd suggest an S70, preferably a non-turbo. They are a lot better.

Zee

Visitor, November 25, 2010, 18:13

Thank you! Your response was very helpful and I will try to contact a Volvo repair shop to see how much a diagnostic would cost. I have read a lot of reviews about the S70 and many people are not happy with this particular model. What is your experience with this model?

ZeeTech, November 25, 2010, 19:07

They are a lot more reliable than the S80 with the 2.8L turbo. If you do the regular maintenance they are good. The S80s has lot's of engine and engine control issues, PCV clogs easy, transmission and suspension problems. I don't know the condition of the car you where looking at, but I bet if you remove the oil cap you will see lot's of sludge on the bottom of it and also inside the engine.
    If I'd remove the oil cap / dipstick and and see carbon deposit and sludge built-up, I'd just walk away, wouldn't even care the rest. If they are nice, clean, no deposit at all, than I'd go and check the rest.
    Let me know if you have more question. I'd be glad to share my experience.

Zee