Reviews for Dodge Dakota years:

Dodge Dakota Reviews and Owner Comments

Dodge DakotaOwner Reviews (62 reviews)
  • 2007 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Suwanee, GA, February 21, 2014 10:54
    I have a 2007 dakota slt quad cab and failure is when you have lost the pedal fall to the rev 0
    Visitor, Highland Springs, VA, February 11, 2014 11:14
    I have a 2020 Dodge Dakota club cab, with the 4.7, SLT. I have this truck sinse it had about 17000 on it and now has 138,000. I replaced the front brakes at 60000 and the rear at 100,000 plus and the only reason I replace them was because a pease of the barke pad was broke, so I replaced the pads,hardware,and drums because they had to beat the drums off to the check the breaks. No work on the engine except plugs,pvc and some minor thing that needed to be replaced when I reached 100,000. I have replaced the tramission fluid twice,and coolent every 5 years, both due again soon). Body still looks good, no major damage. Except for the deer that hit me, yes I said hit me. All repairs were done and done good. The truck was rated 14/16 new, But I get 15/18 and even once got 21 mpg. I use all amsoil products ,oil,oil filter,air filter and transmisson fluid. All do great. The only thing I wish is that I could get better gas milage. Wish they still made the dakota, I would buy another one.
    Visitor, Centerburg, OH, January 01, 2014 07:18
    2005 Dodge Dakota Crew Cab 4x4 the only problem I have is the transmission runs at higher RPM when truck warms up. If the truck has to run @2000RPM check engine line will come on and transmission will get hot.
    Visitor, Peoria, AZ, October 18, 2013 21:17
    I bought my Dakota from a Dodge dealership in 2004 with 30,000 miles on it. All maintenance has been done by the selling dealership, and for having 160,000 miles now, maintenance requirements have bee acceptable with two exceptions. I have an extended cab SXT in 2WD with the 3.9 V-6 engine. Unlike my previous 1997 Dakota, which had the exact same engine and displacement, same transmission and differential, this truck has had poor engine performance. No bottom, mid-range, or top end through all gears, and just downright sluggish. But even worse than that is the water pump. I've just recently been told the 4th water pump that's been in the truck is now going out. Aside from the original water pump that went 70k, I've averaged from 13-31,000 between water pumps!! And its unfortunate, since I have liked the look of the Dakota, the handling, and the mid-size.
    Visitor, Woodland, WA, September 05, 2013 14:49
    I have had my Dakota tor 2 years and other than the brakes I have had no trouble. This vehicle has well over 100,000 miles and runs great. This is a quad cab with no issues and is m favorite vehicle to drive. In my driving life I have owned several of all brands of pickup trucks including some Dodges and find then a reliable vehicle with the exception of the brakes and this has been an issue with Chrysler since the late 1960's that I am aware of.
    corn1, Rockford, IL, August 10, 2013 12:28
    I have a 94 2wd 3.9 manual. 65,000 miles I know the rust will be the killer of this truck. Dodge dakota's rust around the fender walls. Repairs i have had done, only because i thought necessary are... Timing chain,(old one looked fine), brake pads, routine replacements plugs etc. All it needs is shocks and mounts and heater work. Truck came with no A/C, one less thing to possibly go wrong:) Truly a great truck. I see it being around for years to come. Soon to repaint it i think. (or just drive it)!!!
    st geo, Dothan, AL, July 30, 2013 09:56
    Over heats , radiator full, engine will shut off when temp. gets slightly above normal. now will not start. new water pump , new battery, new alternator now when turning over it sounds like starter may not be engaging flywheel. Gifford Tures giflyn@centurylink.net, tel 334 792 9288 or 334 200 1124
    Visitor, Las Cruces, NM, July 08, 2013 07:32
    2006 quadcab 4x4 v8 The worst vehicle i have ever owned. i cant sell it as i can never have everything fixed. brakes- i would give a negative score. replacing constantly. Cheap foriegn junk. Body(int/ext)- negative score. Cheap paint. dealer agreed and said i detail it too much?! interior is so bad a fly can break things. Way off the charts(center console2x, both seat recline handles3x, front dash rattles constantly, body is like rice paper. Suspension- i too replace half the front end every 20-30,000miles if lucky. Negativescor Engine- where do i start? It will quit running at random- not safe at all. the airbag light wont turn off(dealer is clueless) some sensor is going once a month but it doesnt save in the computer so dealer cannot assess anything. tranny IS very slow and mine just went out. the engine will rev up and down rapidly sometimes at idle after start up. it hates the cold- and the hot haha. the a/c clicks loudly- sone cheap flapper broke-2x. Oddly enough the 4x4 works, but all 4x4s i have work great. My wife is constantly upset her truck sucks! I am worried she or someone else will get hurt driving this unsound vehicle. i am constantly warning people about dodge products. Double the sticker price, because thats what you will spend in 150,000 miles. maybe even a night in jail if the dealer trests you like i was. i am not an engineer or ASE mechanic but you dont have to be in todays world. i work in the bakken oilfield and NO ONE has dodge fleets. all ford and some chevy. i dream of the day we have no dodge vehicles. Also, my stock 7.3 will embarass a hemi and a cummins at the same time without trying. my chevy 1500 outperforms a dodge 1500 in all catagories. and we should have bought a tacoma! I had a 90s model dakota that was awesome (truly american) the truth is, thete arent any vehicles made in america. they may be assembled here, but with MANY foreign parts. sorry for rambling- dodge disgusts me! if the customerservice was decent i wouldnt feel so butt sore. but they are happy witg the money you gave them.
    Visitor, Youngstown, NY, July 02, 2013 18:55
    I own a 2005 dodge Dakota&a2007 dodge caliber front end parts for these vehicles are inferior as I have replaced all front end parts om caliber twice,which is very expensive.my dodge Dakota wont go into gear after sitting idle for a month.As far as I am concerned all DODGE PRODUCTS ARE JUNK & Iwill never own one again.I cant even sell them without losing thousands of dollars,Icant even give them away.I think people are getting wise to dodge & their junk....
    Visitor, Bullhead City, AZ, May 24, 2013 19:06
    I have a 2004 dodge dakota crew cab 4.7 v-8 automatic. My problem is seat belt driver side jammed worked off and on then froze up. Dealer mechanic explained to me before changing or disconnecting the air bag connection on the retractor to be sure to disconnect the battery.I did but air bag light stays on. Seat belt light goes off when I put seat belt on,but air bag light goes off then comes back on. Whats up with that? artturner2012@gmail.com
    Visitor, Rochester, MN, May 02, 2013 11:53
    What a piece of junk. This the last dodge I will ever buy. I'm constantly having to take it to the shop for something. It only has 70,000. I dread what it's going to be like if it makes it to 100,000
    thekid1357, Sapulpa, OK, April 27, 2013 00:23
    I have owned my 2000 dakota 4x4 4.7L for 9 yrs. It has 153,000 miles on it. It was bulletproof until it hit approx. 125,000 miles. The 1st 6 yrs were great. However, the last 3 yrs has been back and forth work to keep this truck running. I used to take it to the river but its not too trustworthy anymore. I will say this: This 4WD is the best one that I have owned, when it's running!
    Visitor, Columbia City, OR, March 17, 2013 10:18
    Best vehicle I have ever owned. 200,000 miles plus and never have had a problem...except heater fan (high speed stopped working)still going strong!
  • 2008 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Saint Albans, WV, November 28, 2012 05:40
    Dealers don't have repair parts to fix backup lights. Can't get a state inspection sticker until sometime next year. Am disabled and can't get to my doctors or to the ER if I need to, without a legal vehicle.
  • 1990 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Maple Heights, OH, November 24, 2012 08:05
    my dakota is convertable and i love it it runs well stops and goes just fine
    Visitor, Charleston, WV, November 18, 2012 18:02
    contacted seller and manufacturer about rust with in 3 yrs of owning truck. I was told was normal.In 2011 took truck back to dealer who again told me rusting was normal, and not abnormal, and they could not do anything until it perfurated thru while under warrenty. Local body shop tells me its not normal and that by the end of winter I will have holes thru body of truck around doors and fenders and the bumbers could fall off. and the core frame has started to rust thru. And I am out of warrenty with truck paid off. Im very upset.. to think $24,000. bought a rust bucket that I as a single mother of a three yr. old will have to drive until I can afford to purchase another. Im disappointed how the dealer and the Manufacturer treated this problem. Now I have lost faith in American Made vehicles..At least Toyato took there responsibility and repaired or purchased back the vehicles they sold.
    Visitor, Hanford, CA, August 13, 2012 21:58
    My dad bought it off a Texan in Fresno, CA back in 2000 for $950. The a/c and radio on it were broken when he bought it. For a truck three months older than me it's taken a lot of abuse and has a ridiculous amount of dents to prove it. The paint has a lot of sun damage as well and it's almost all dull (It used to be a dark green/blue), but it's no surprise as we live in a desert. We took it to a mechanic after and he saw some frame damage from 3 different car accidents and told us the whole truck was off center, and because of this the shocks wear out more on one side and we have to align it every couple of years or else it drifts really badly to the right. It has 270,856 miles on it and the only major repairs were replacing the starter and gas pump back in 2005. I've owned it for 3 years now and it has held up beautifully. I installed a new radio+sound system which set me back about $450 but is well worth it. I admit I've won a few races with it and never have I felt . I can see why the other drivers laugh at it and ask if I really want to enter "that" into the race. I have the last laugh though, the engine is amazing and the money I win goes into the "paint job" and "fix the a/c" fund. (These are small country-road races that are a lame attempt at drag racing out on my dad's ranch that never go over 80MPH and the prize is usually $35 so it'll take awhile before I get to paint it) Now I realize it's dangerous but I honestly feel safe in this hunk of metal. The inside can get very hot though, even though I always park in the shade it seems to trap a lot of heat, a lot more than other cars. I'm meticulous with it's maintenance though and can easily see it reaching 300K. I don't ever see myself selling it to someone else or to a junkyard where it will rust and get ripped apart. I love this bat sh*t crazy truck and will keep driving it until I either wrap it around a tree or the repair cost of something is too much, and even then I'll save it so my grandchildren can restore it or something.
    Visitor, Hardyville, KY, January 29, 2012 16:16
    ive had my 1994 dodge dakota for 6 years now it has the 3.9 v6 2wd and i wouldnt never trade it off for anything its got 210k and ive never turned one bolt on the motor except for a water pump. the best truck ive ever owned and the motor runs just as smooth as my 2009 nissan. drive it daily and the only way to beat the motor down would be to run it without oil or something.
  • 1991 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Princeton, WV, January 03, 2012 12:49
    I just bought this 91 Dakota truck for 950.00. I have always been a Dodge truck fan. The truck needed some minor things and I fixed them. I am now so happy with this truck. I could notand still can not believe how nice this truck runs and how sturdy it is. I love it! One small problem though, a small ticking noise around engine. I have yet to check it but will soon. Over all nice truck. I would definitely buy another Dakota of any year.
    tdfunk, Dover, DE, January 02, 2012 08:41
    air condition belt broke and everything stop work and running hot
  • 1998 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Whitesville, KY, December 23, 2011 17:47
    I have a 1998 dodge dakota that did not come with cruise control but i installed it from another dakota but it still will not work can i have pcm flashed to turn it on suspension is good
  • 1997 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Capac, MI, December 19, 2011 10:51
    No need for me to say much about my dakota 4x4. It has the 318cu that you have to shoot to end its reliability. Although it now has some issues I just turned 223K miles and it still runs like its shot out of a canon when I tromp on the gas pedal. Best truck I've ever owned Thank you "Dodge City" Warren MI
    Visitor, Zachary, LA, September 04, 2011 11:14
    I got my Truck used in 02 with 12000 miles on it already, it's a single cab,2 door,5 speed,has a 22gal tank,with the 3.9 V6,it came with 16" wheels but caused the truck to bounce like the wheels were to big for the truck so I found someone with 15" wheels on their 4 door Dakota and did a even swap, it now rides better and looks better, the other guys truck looks better too. It now has 178,000 miles and has only had a few problems,the brakes have always been kind of jumpy when I need to apply them in a hurry, like they don't want to catch,I've put it in the brake shop to have them checked and was told nothing was wrong with them,other than that it stops very good in normal traffic.I removed the large air filter that came with it and put on a 6" filter,put in AC plugs and new wires,changing the oil every 4000 miles and oil filter too,I get between 19-20 miles a gal.the AC will freeze you out and the heater will run you out,The body is in great shape,added fog lights in the front bumper and running lights down the side,I have been very pleased with my 2002 Dakota these past years and will buy another one if this one ever wears out.
    Visitor, Myrtle Beach, SC, July 14, 2011 11:51
    I bought a 91 Dodge 1500 LE 318 ci new and had very few problems with it. I ran it to 205,000 miles and traded it in on a 2001 3.9 Dakota, big mistake. The Dakota is a good truck but, it's not as comfortable as the 1500. Both vehicles had a problem with the paint, after 4 or 5 years the paint deteriorates. The Dakota had 1 recall for the ball joints. I bought the Dakota thinking a smaller truck would get better mileage but, it only gets about 1 mpg better than the V8. Next time I'll get the full size Ram with a hemi V8 as I don't drive as much as I used to and the new hemi's get decent mileage now.
  • 1991 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Lockport, IL, July 09, 2011 22:19
    I have a 1991 Dodge Dakota Sport 5.2 which has been amazing. I bought it as a demo with 5K miles on it. Local auto parts counter guys laughed at me when they seen me driving it to their business. They said they beat the hell out of it, and did break torque starts with it. I did bring it back to the dealer several times in 91-92 for ticking noises and I found it was just dirty oil in a lifter as they never changed the oil in the first 5200 miles even after I bought it. I've had 3000 lbs of cement bags and numerous other heavy stuff in the back in the 20 years I've owned it. Mostly all normal maintenance except Left rear seal leak caused breaking problems. Computer changed when my daughter used it and it wouldn't start using a booster charger the dude blew the computer ( voltage regulator ) and the alternator and wiring into the alternator and recently after 18 years AC blew a seal at the condenser as my daughter used the truck during the winter and had the compressor switch engaged all winter. I was away and had my jeep to drive at the time.everything else works fine and nothing else has been replaced or worked on. Original engine ( burns no oil in my 1 year oil changes( "Amsoil of course" since new )original trans and rear end ( Amsoil in there too ) I have 150 K showing on odometer but odometer wasn't working for 5 years before I fixed it. Sorry to all the people that have trouble with American metal. I don't baby this truck either. I'll stick with mopar forever!
    Visitor, Victorville, CA, July 02, 2011 16:19
    I've owned my truck for about 10 years it is a 1992 Dodge Dakota LE V6 this truck has served me well numerus trippes to the dump over the years it's value hs not dropped much, sense I purchased it. Really any majore repairs just, I had the transmission overhauld at about 100,000 miles then just regular oil changes and tuneups. This truck is great.
    Visitor, Carol Stream, IL, June 29, 2011 18:34
    I have owned a new 05 dakota and my wife has an 06 dakota both quad cab 4x4s. These trucks are horrible. Dont expect any better than 15 on the highway. And everything breaks. The brakes are good for 20k thats it. I have electrical problems. The engines smokes oil. The struts and sway bar links are shot every 30k AT BEST. Its one thing after another. I had a bad fuel pump at 20k. A bad ECG at 10k. The seat belt had a short at 15k. My wifes 4x4 stuck in 4 low while driving on highway at 30K. LEAKS GALORE. I wrecked my dakota at 36k thank god. But my wifes we are still dealing with. Currently have chrysler warranty and have to fight to get front strut replaced since it says its covered. But dodge calls it a shock so they wont have to replace(quoted my 850 to replace 1 strut(shock)).
    cowabungachick06, Aurora, CO, April 30, 2011 15:45
    I freakin love this truck. Bought it off my grandpa for $500 summer 07, 116k miles. Now spring '11, almost 150k and engine still running strong- 180hp V6 beats my boyfriend's 410hp supercharged V8 2001 Tundra off the line but he's got me on top speed. Hauled about 1000lbs in the bed thru the NC/TN mountains like it was nothing, Drove nonstop loaded down 26hrs from NC to CO when I moved and it had no problem, didnt even come close to overheating. Yes its old and it still needs work and a serious paintjob, but its so easy to work on I've been able to replace everything myself except the catalytic converter and the clutch with nothing more than a haynes manual and advice from the guys at advance auto. No special tools, no taking to a dealer to plug into a computer for trouble codes, and parts are so cheap I can afford performance parts. NC taxes on it are pocket change ($8 and change last year! lol), and insurance is definitely affordable. 2stars for body/interior because previous owners didnt take care of it and it could use a serious facelift, and bench seat is uncomfortable after 2+hrs, (no prob during long trips in family car). 4stars for brakes only cuz rear are drums, I replaced everything (except master cylinder) a couple months ago for $500 including calipers pads drums springs shoes and lines. Performance parts up front, store-brand in the back. No electrical problems whatsoever yet so 5stars for that. 5stars for engine, reasons stated above. Barely smokes in below zero weather once its warmed up, never failed a test so 5stars for emissions. Mine didnt come with a/c, and heater coil burned out winter 2009, and air still comes thru vents at highway speeds even when fans are off so 3 stars for heating/air. Turning radius kinda sucks, and ride can be rough when bed is empty, but struts are still original so suspension/steering will get 4 when I replace those with off-road quality. Bottom line- love it, love it, love it, and even when the engine finally goes, i'll still replace it and keep driving it til the floor rusts out from under my feet. And then I'll replace that too! Lol
  • 2010 Dodge Dakota
    Visitor, Duluth, MN, April 26, 2011 15:29
    I bought a 2010 Dodge Dakota ext. cab V-8 4x4. the engine shifts funny and after a year and a half. I have to replace the front rotors because they are warped and peeling on the back side. With only 9600 miles on it.The lower part of the body is all plastic, for the price of the truck I would expect to have metal, the grill is all plastic the bumper is plastic. made very cheap. I will never buy a dodge again.
    Visitor, Fairfield, CT, April 18, 2011 19:58
    I bought my Dakota with 53k miles on it in Feb 2007. I have had no problems with it until last year when the front right caliper started freezing and the tstat went. I love this truck! It has giddyup, plenty of power, great in snow and mud, hauls building material, fits five comfortably. I am selling mine now and only because of the gas mileage and its age with over 128k on it.
    rdsarge, Deltona, FL, November 18, 2010 18:38
    I have had my Dodge Dokota 4X4 Crew cab for 4 years now and thoroughly enjoy driving it. It has been a fantastic truck and plan to keep it for at least another 5 years or so.
    unixc3p, Madison Heights, MI, November 16, 2010 16:33
    I bought my 1993 Dodge Dakota 6 cylinder 3.9 almost a year ago and have never been happier with a used vehicle. I can not stop myself from saying out loud that, " I fricken love this truck" nearly every time I drive it. I have had to do the little things, serpentine belt, plugs & wires, cap & rotor, nothing big. I am certainly no mechanic, but have had no problem working on this truck. The engine compartment is spacious and the little things, like, not a spark plug that you cannot get to, make it even more lovable. I have even started doing my own oil changes at home just to spend quality time with a vehicle that is so good to me. 156,000 miles and runs like a champ! The only complaint I might have is that it makes wide right turns.
    the11thnickel, Belmond, IA, November 16, 2010 16:33
    Purchased this truck recently with high mileage, so much may be different due to it's age, but I will say: Suspension and Steering gets 1 star as I am aware some of my steering components are worn down which doesn't allow me to make a reliable review. This truck has run exceptionally well given it's high mileage and age. Even though the previous owner neglected a lot of important maintenance, this truck has held together. I can only say that it was very well built. I enjoy the power of the 5.2L V8 (the always reliable Mopar 318) Despite this model design being from the early 1990's, I find it's design doesn't look 'old'. It is a good looking vehicle. The interior is also very comfortable. The back seats are small but still useful, with convenient under-storage. They are definitely more comfortable then the jumper seats in Ford Rangers of similar years. This is definitely THE truck for something looking for a medium truck. I would not compare it to a Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10, and it is also doesn't feel quite as large as a full size truck. On a mechanical note, even though the engine is quite large, everything in the engine compartment is very accessible. I am a very new to vehicle maintenance, but this truck certainly feels like a good starting point. One thing that does bother me, though, is that the heater takes a long time to get going.
    xxyyzz, Denver, CO, November 16, 2010 16:30
    I bought this truck in 1994 with 29 miles on it. It now has 210,000 miles and is running strong. The body still looks like new except for a few small rust bubbles. This is not bad for 10 years in Minnesota and 6 years in Colorado. The brakes work great with normal maintenance. There is no problem with the drive train and it is original. No problem with the electrical and exhaust. The engine runs like a top. Starts great. The 2 problems that I have had with it are the a/c that went out at about 130,000 miles and I have put 4 sending units for the fuel pump in it. There is no doubt that I was truely blessed when I bought this truck.
    dingo111, Coventry, RI, October 12, 2010 13:53
    great truck. only problem a ticking noise in the injection system when you start it up after it comes up to temp. it quiets down but dosen't go away. the truck runs great. I baught it with 103000ml now has 196590 It could use more power, I pull an 18' cargo trailer hills are a little tuff. put in 2 heater cables needs a new 1 now. added a added a leaf over all great mid size truck.
  • 1999 Dodge Dakota
    handymanjwv, Salem, OH, September 09, 2010 16:26
    good mid size truck....
    Visitor, Southampton, PA, September 08, 2010 05:45
    bought this truck used with 60k miles, replaced the front rotors and the rear drums (rear drums were out of round causing a vibration not the front rotors) truck runs great, real nice smooth ride for a heavy truck. I use Mobil 1 oil since I had it and I get 16mpg combined/20mpg hwy. No major issues with this truck. I will put in a K&N filter to see if I can up the gas mileage. Love this truck!
    Visitor, Tulsa, OK, July 14, 2010 08:09
    Looks good, interior good, 6 has no power gear ratio feels wrong cant drive it on the interstate cant pull a small hills and for get the big hills. Highway gas milage poor, loose ball joints already at 75,000. Good for local driving only!
    Visitor, Silverdale, WA, June 25, 2010 11:18
    I had a 1997 V-6, then moved to a 2000 4.7... Love everything about this truck. Never had a problem that I couldn't fix or that kept the truck from running strong.
    SuperMex, Laguna Hills, CA, June 08, 2010 11:48
    I love the truck but the MPG is killing me I know get 9.2 MPG when I first got the truck I was getting 13 MPG I have the Quad Cab 4 x 4. Anything anyboday can suggetst I would really help me out
    rodeojim, Trinidad, CO, April 19, 2010 07:37
    I've driven Toyotas most of my life, but tuis truck out performs them all. the 4 wheel drive is incredible and the V8 gives me the power I need in the mountains. Having major problems with the front end suspension though. When is a strut not a strut? when you turn it in for warranty work.
    kodolama, Collierville, TN, April 13, 2010 11:14
    Great truck.
    Visitor, Henderson, KY, April 05, 2010 21:37
    i love this truck, everyone loves this truck. we get just as many compliments now as we did when we first bought it. it has an awesome interior and ride. drives better than a caddy. and its got the pep. its the best we have ever had and we've had or drove quite a few !!!!!
    Yesrod85, Manhattan, KS, April 03, 2010 12:37
    2000 Quad Cab 4x4 with 4.7 L Great truck. Bought it from my father who bought it new and did all maintenance on it through the dealership. Currently has 170,000 on it and no major problems. Has gone through 3 sets of tires (oe goodyears @ 40,000; michelin xcx/apt @ 120,000; current bridgestone dueler revos), 3 sets of ball joints, 3 sets of shocks, original transmission (kinda rare at this mileage for these vehicles) with 4 fluid exchanges, rear pinion seal is starting to go out but not that bad yet, developed a lower end knock in the motor around 130,000 and has just been getting slowly worse when cold (goes away when warm). 4 wheel drive works like a dream, I love the 'Four on the Fly' transfer case. Good power, although its been getting a little weaker with its higher mileage. Original exhaust except for the muffler which I put on a Flowmaster @ 135,000. Would recommend to anyone needing a truck that is capable of full-size performance in a mid-size package. Just remember there is a lot more to maintain on these vehicles than on a 4 cylinder car; Do the maintenance and she'll easily last you through 200,000.
    pinky30, Appleton, WI, February 21, 2010 12:25
    I bought this truck in 2006 off the show room floor with 15 miles on it over all the truck is everything I need it to do. The Goodyear tires that were on the truck only lasted 20000 miles and had to put some other ones on, one of my friends has the same truck and has to put tires on every 15 to 20 thousand miles always goodyear. so I put yokahama tires a little loud but so far 35000 miles on them with tread left. the engine could have a little more power, and the hauling load in the box could be a little higher. I do all of my service work other than the warranty work that was done but never in the garage for any thing. my sway bar linkage just broke on the drivers side going to replace both of them
    colincliff2, Gig Harbor, WA, January 01, 2010 17:33
    Had this truck for 3 years now. Very well maintained since new. Had no issues until just recently, at only 88k miles, the head gasket blew. After fixing, I decided to sell & buy a Toyota.
    JDMDakota, Carlsbad, CA, November 20, 2009 19:46
    I bought my truck from Worthington Dodge (Now Closed) as a used truck in April 2009 with 54000 miles on it. I ended up taking the truck back 7 times to the dealership to have brake work done in it from a nasty vibration while braking. It still does it now even after they pretty much replaced all the brake components and did two alignments and balanced the tires twice. But now its at least bearable. The automatic transmission has made noise in 5th gear since I bought it. The dealer blew me off on that claim. The engine V8 engine is pathetic at only 230hp vs. a Nissan V6 with 265hp in the Frontier. The highest MPG I have gotten is about 18.5 so its not the greatest...Other than that I love the way the truck drives, the suspension is great and I haven't had any breakdowns yet! Its the perfect size for me.
  • 1998 Dodge Dakota
    neil5150, Caledonia, MS, November 01, 2009 09:40
    I used to love this truck, but since it hit 90,000 miles, I have had to replace the PCM three times...and it still just randomly stalls. Many times the truck will just crank right back up and run fine for a day or two before it starts turning itself off again...even at highway speeds. I have had over $3k in repairs replacing everything...but to no avail. The truck now has 105,000 miles on it of which only 17k miles have been put on it in the last 3 and a half years. Truck still looks great and has been well taken care of, but keeps shutting off no matter how much I spend trying to get it fixed. Any suggestions?
    twhalen81, Kent, WA, October 25, 2009 08:12
    Good vehicle that does almost everything a full size truck can do but still fits in a standard two car garage. I have towed filled trailers across the Rockies during the hottest part of the summer with ease, but it is still my daily driver. The rear differential of this vehicle (at least in the 2003 model year) has a flaw that will go unnoticed until you are broken on the side of the highway, unless you change your own differential fluids. When I did this at 30K miles I noticed large metal shavings and took it in to the dealer. It was covered under warranty, but if I didn't do my own minor repair work, this would have gone unnoticed until the rear differential self destructed.
    LJElias, Washington, PA, August 05, 2009 13:01
    Bought this truck with less than 60,000 miles on it in 2008. In great condition, was garage kept. It runs like a charm, decent smooth ride, comfortable front seats, enough room for small kids in back seat, but could only fit a booster seat not a full car seat back there.
    carbuff, Terryville, CT, April 19, 2009 18:06
    Bought this Quad cab 5 speed manual 4x4 4.7 engine new in September of 2000. Currently has 51K miles on it. Had ball joints replaced due to recall. replaced the water pump because of bearing noice. Also put on K&N Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust and Rancho shocks. The truck has been pretty reliable and is the perfect size for a family especially the Quad cab. I really like the 4.7 engine. With my add ons the power curve is much better. Mileage has improved also. Would recommend this truck.
  • 1999 Dodge Dakota
    duke0645, Tunnel Hill, GA, April 14, 2009 13:43
    I bought this truck (3.9 V-6) with 74,000 miles several months ago and have put 6,000 miles on it and absolutely no problems. It is the best truck I have ever owned and use it just about every day. The previous owner did all the maintenance so I should be able to enjoy it for a long time.
    gcap60, Philadelphia, PA, April 14, 2009 04:18
    good truck for the price
    Judge, Edinburg, VA, April 13, 2009 18:15
    I have had this 01 Dakota 4X4 Club Cab since 02. It is my 3rd Dakota and I like it much better than the 1997 or the 1992 that I had. Those were V6's this is the V8, 4.7 is a good engine, good MPG. I just replaced the original tires at 56,000 miles. Still has the factory brakes front and rear. I just replaced the oxygen sensor and the MAP sensor and the battery. That is all that I have done too it. My only concern now is that the AT has a "skip" between 1st and 2nd gear. It has been there for sometime and does not seem to be getting worse. Still looks new and I have only used the 4 wheel drive 4 times since I purchase it. We don't get the snow that we use too here in Northern Virginia. I will buy another Dakota.........
  • 1997 Dodge Dakota
    cammers2, Calabash, NC, April 13, 2009 04:47
    Put a bed liner in the day we bought this. We have hauled just about everything including a 20' boat and trailer. We have it serviced every 3,000 miles and we finally had to spend some money on this truck. Had to replace the alternator and water pump. We'll probably have this until we go to see our Maker. Best dang vehicle we ever bought. Still looks new also.
    fast ed, Nashville, TN, April 12, 2009 18:37
    good truck for long trips. good highway miles handles vary well.
    mrelane, Ocean Shores, WA, April 08, 2009 18:16
    Have has no problems with my 06 Dakota. Milage was not so good until I added a K&N air intake system and a flowmaster duel exhaust. Now I'm getting 17.5 mpg.
    Steven I Toth, Pompano Beach, FL, March 28, 2009 17:30
    At 50k I replaced: tires the brake pads I've installed K&N air filter and Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs. About a month ago the cam shaft and the crank shaft sensors vent bad 400$, #2ingnition coil replacement was 35$. Belt replacement coming too. Paint is very sensitive. Body dents very easy. Factory speakers sounds like you have a bucket on them later upgraded with Infinity speakers now the whole door panel rattles. I have broken the parking brake release 18$ and once I have slammed the glove compartment door a little harder and the opening mechanism broke inside replacement was 50$. Idles a little rough. And the tranny are slow. I may going to have some problems with my differential. Highway I do 20mpg city about 15-16mpg. Truly impressive towing. Pretty spacious inside also the rear door opens wide which is a plus. Easy access of the engine compartment as you will going to spend lots of time on it. Also when turning the wheel all the way it makes a worrying noise. It's not that bed of a truck but it's got some issues. My conclusion is the engine could produce more power but the tranny are too slow. If somehow the shift timing could be reprogrammed the mpg would be better and it would produce a quicker vehicle. The single most annoying element is the all around plastic inside. The bed could be bigger a few inches.
    slowrider, Westminster, CA, March 08, 2009 23:40
    This had been a great truck. The Dakota is a perfect size vehicle with plenty of power and a nice ride. The few issuues I've had were within a few weeks of purchase the AC relay failed and was replaced under warranty. The Milage has been dissapointing for a mid size. MPG started around 14 combined. I gained 1mpg with a cold air intake and 1.5 mpg after 80,000 miles which it has held onto to its current 104,000 miles with a best tank of 18.5mpg and fairly regular combined tanks of 17mpg. Front brakes don't last but the rears are original. 4 allignments by 104,000 miles. 104,000 miles 2 rear passenger exhaust bolts broke causing a bad exhaust leak. 2 $5 bolts from the dealer and 1/2 hour of my time fixed that. Love the style, power and ride of the truck but the glorified 4 speed auto needs 2 more gears to keep up with Ford and Chevy full size fuel economy and performance, even the old ranger has a 5 speed auto.
    DirtGod, Monroe, WA, February 15, 2009 23:07
    Purchased w/ 32,000 miles and now has 86,000 miles. Problems are: PCM went dead, crankshaft sensor went out and now pressure sensor going out in tranny. Special order part takes 5 days and now I am w/o a truck. Good truck, to many sensors that go bad.
    ROK1987, Glenn Dale, MD, February 07, 2009 07:30
    2003 Dakota Sport Plus Quad cab, 4x4, 4.7L V8, I had very few isses with this truck and have 115K miles on it.
    charleswh, Magnolia, TX, August 26, 2008 10:27
    4x4 HD v8. AC failed at under 100K. Current mileage 204,000. original engine/trans. No major drive train problems. Radio failed at about 100K. Mechanically very reliable. Steering very loose since about 125K.