Reviews for Dodge Caravan years:

Dodge Caravan Reviews and Owner Comments

Dodge CaravanOwner Reviews (42 reviews)
    Visitor, Bowie, MD, November 21, 2014 16:00
    This car has been remarkably reliable and is the most comfortable, practical car I've ever owned. I hope I can get it to run forever! Would not hesitate to buy it again and recommend it to anyone.
    Visitor, Chicopee, MA, December 22, 2013 06:21
    I have a 2001 Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L V-6. The transmission differential just went with 215,000 miles on the van. It was running excellent.just put a new set of tires all around and now this. I have a few buddies that are qualified to fix the problem but none have a working environment,it's not a "parking lot" job ,so I would have to take it to a shop.Anyone have a ballpark figure in what the cost would be.I'm sure labor and part's on this type of job could get steep, is it worth fixing??
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, April 18, 2013 16:17
    Body & interior has held up great. HOWEVER, the brake syste has had to be replaced atleast 4.5 times; only once under warrantee. We DO NOT drive it hard, the last time the dealership did pick up most costs...because we had JUST replace the brake system & they told us the drums were bad; go figure. a few gaskets leaked after 5 years, radiator has been replaced twice, now its the Front Cylinder head --- dealer says its $1969 to repair. Plus it also need rack & pinon full repair. Expensive repairs for one that takes care of their cars.
    Visitor, Green Valley, AZ, March 08, 2012 13:43
    we bought our 1996 dodge caravan new and it has 110,000 miles on it. Replaced transmission with 70,000 miles on it and recently two fuel pumps in an 8 month period. Starting to cost me $800 every time I pass a repair shop. Latest problem is a surging at idle and just about any speed. It is not consistent and happens about every other day. Seems it wants to stall out but hasn't yet. Anybody have any ideas?
    Visitor, Uniontown, OH, December 19, 2011 17:15
    Dodge Caravan 2005 Only has 55,000 Miles and had to replace sway bar bushings twice. Now my machanic said I'll need a to replace a rack & ponion; that's a $700. dollar job.
  • 2004 Dodge Caravan
    apenny, Indianapolis, IN, December 08, 2011 01:53
    check engine will not go off everyone said it was the gas cap bought a new one and after two weeks it is still on.
    Visitor, Medford, OR, November 16, 2011 14:45
    Bought her new Jan. 2000. Love, love, love this van. It drives and rides like a dream. Great mileage...25mpg on the road. I wish I could purchase one like it new but the "shorty" is no longer made. I have only 83,000 miles on her so far...I shouldn't need a new one for a long time. I go camping in her, haul furniture and lumber and whatever I need. Just had her detailed at Medford Lithia Dodge and she looks great. I have low profile wheels and tires on her and she looks super going down the road.
    Visitor, Benton City, WA, November 13, 2011 17:15
    i love my 2000 dodge caravan,but lately i have had 3 rebuilt power steering pumps put on and it is still having issues,im at a lost as what to do!! but i still love my van...
    stevee6977, Waynesville, MO, October 26, 2011 18:50
    2000 dodge caravan speedometor quit working slowed down to make a turn engine died started back up went to make another turn engine died again .if anyone can help
  • 2002 Dodge Caravan
    Visitor, Muskegon, MI, October 07, 2011 06:13
    Have a 2002. The second I paid it off I had to have the transmission fixed, replace the fuel filter and pump. Now I have been fighting with a clinking noise in my front suspension even after I replaced the sway bar bushings, struts, links and tie rods. My power stearing constantly hums as I come to a stop light and sometimes stops working, front windshield pump went out and the reaer defrost and wiper doesn't work. Went thru two sets of brakes and rotors in one year driving normal and the chrome in the headlights are pealing so now I have to replace them too. They need to sell these vehicles a lot cheaper if were to dump a lot of money and time to fix them. I miss my jeep wrangler.
  • 2003 Dodge Caravan
    Visitor, Austin, TX, August 12, 2011 23:00
    2003 regular Caravan, SXT, now 75K miles. Chrysler definitely value engineers this vehicle. Clunky sway bar links, door lock issues, lots of plastic inside and out, paint does not buff out well, but is standing up to the sun, dual sliding doors are nicely done, and the window tint is excellent. Easy to clean and care for. I knocked the EVAP canister sensor pump off at the beach, has anyone else seized lug nuts, or was that just Firestone service? Replaced the headlights as units as they were glazed, parts are generally affordable. Now the blower motor makes noise and it may be a clogged duct? Hard to believe, the inside coils are clean. Careful if you put aftermarket speakers in the doors, that they clear the window slider. Gas mileage could be better. It coasts very well.
  • 1995 Dodge Caravan
    Visitor, Galesburg, IL, May 07, 2011 14:21
    This is the worst engineered vehicle I have ever owned. Have had to replace both front drive axles due to problems with ABS sensors at cost of almost $1600. Just replaced brake line which had been poorly positioned. Shocks and struts seem to wear out quickly. Seat belt does not retract properly and hangs down far enough to get caught in driver's door. This has caused a crack in the body where the door hinge attaches which, in turn, has caused the trim to fall off the door. Button to shut off overdrive is located between rear window wiper button and rear window defrost button. Problems with drive axles and ABS have led to failure of transfer case bearing. Engine still runs well at almost 200K miles but would like to throw the rest of this lemon away.
  • 2006 Dodge Caravan
    ed kloos, Hazelwood, MO, April 15, 2011 06:36
    Front crankshaft oil seal popped out onmy 2006 Dodge Caravan 2.4L engine with 34500 miles.Warranty had expired (36 months).I notifed Chrysler,they sentme to my local dealer to diagnose the problem.They found the crankshaft had excessive end-play causing seal to pop out.They replaced the engine block for my co-pay of $1500.Considering my warranty had expired,I am satisfied with with Chrysler,Love my Caravan SE. Ed K
  • 1991 Dodge Caravan
    Visitor, Warren, MI, April 04, 2011 13:13
    Have a 1991 Caravan C/V Van has over 350k and still running strong... Trans rebuilt 80k ago
    Visitor, Hanford, CA, March 30, 2011 11:50
    My 2000 Dodge Caravan is wonderful. bought it used with 40,000 miles on it and it now has 250,000 miles on it. It has been across country twice. We have never had to replace anything until a month ago when we had to replace fuel filter, fuel pump and alternator. Still running great! I love this van! i wouldn't mind having another one.
  • 1991 Dodge Caravan
    Visitor, Rosburg, WA, February 13, 2011 09:25
    My Caravan has 198,000 miles it has been through floods where it was floating in muck haven't had to replace anything except the starter after the flood. The transmission is now going out and I want to replace it as this van keeps on running it's a real beast and still looks okay.
  • 2003 Dodge Caravan
    fuzzemale, Adams, MA, November 22, 2010 10:47
    I bought the van with 54,000 miles on itit now has over 120,000 miles the first problem I had was the water pump , but other than that I've had only minor repairs on it , brakes etc. just resently had to replace the sway bar bushings but thats after all those miles good car ,change the oil every 3,000 miles.
    Visitor, Anderson, SC, November 17, 2010 20:45
    Everything still works on mine....but it has started having a problem with a "warped-sounding roaring" which a mechanic tells me I need a new air conditioning compressor for $600-$700. The A/C works great, but the belt as it passes has this awful noise coming from it sometimes. Has anyone else had this problem? Car has 121,000 miles on it, but I have taken excellent care of it.
  • 2002 Dodge Caravan
    cassi, Irvington, NJ, October 24, 2010 17:06
    my 2002 dodge caravan is amazing bought it in 2003 it's my truck moved many of my friends and relatives in it, i just bought a new battery three month's ago 2010 i had a mopar battery, 7 years not one time did i have a problem never replaced anything on it but brakes and pads, i have life time brakes only pay for labor check out pep boys they stand 100% by their products i would not give my van up for no one when it's time i will be buying another one. sincerely,cassandra
    Visitor, Sophia, WV, October 23, 2010 17:00
    Bought in 2009 w/ 32,000, air bag light "warrenty", for a driver its fine, for a Porche want to be it needs more, but I bought what was practical. Does the practical thing Great. Would rather have a Grand Caravan but this is just fine, Mor Power to MOPAR!
    Portraits by Nancy, Pembroke Pines, FL, August 29, 2010 12:55
    The automatic power locks on the doors have been a problem for the dealer to ever get fixed right from the beginning when I first bought the car brand new in 1996. Never worked right and still don't work right.
  • 1997 Dodge Caravan
    Visitor, Marietta, GA, August 22, 2010 18:16
    over all a great car mine has over 200k miles on it still runs like it was new other than a few electrical problems and being a pain to work on when things need to be changed out...
    yippie, Everett, MA, August 16, 2010 16:23
    never again will i buy a dodge had enoughno air bulbs keep burning out windows not working
    Visitor, Oklahoma City, OK, July 29, 2010 22:58
    powersteering problems. air conditioning leaks condensate on front floor.
    flaps22, Bel Air, MD, July 25, 2010 08:27
    My fiancee owns this workhorse of a van, and it's amazing how it holds it's own after all these years of wear and tear. The engine still has LOTS of grunt, even after 120,000 + miles of use, and it shows no sign of giving up! This tank has been used often to haul the family around (5 kids plus 2 adults), and it doesn't falter under the load. What's even more astounding is the fact that even though it has some minor electrical problems, it works like it's almost brand new!
    Visitor, Lake Worth, FL, July 21, 2010 18:00
    I brought this Van used and 3month in the Transmission started giving me problems then leaking oil and transmission oil now she is sitting in my parking space..
  • 1998 Dodge Caravan
    MistyD, Lynn, MA, July 16, 2010 19:14
    My brakes keep wearing out too fast, the lights in the buttons around my radio keep blinking, auto-transmission sticks when I try to switch from reverse & drive & my horn (brand new) wont beep.
    glw57air, Jacksonville, FL, July 02, 2010 14:37
    This is my 4th Chrysler made mini van, my first was a 1986 and I've had one ever since. They have all been great autos and have gotten better with each new year. When it becomes time to get rid of this one, I won't hesitate to purchase another one. The new ones look awesome and the the fold down seats make it easier to create storage space.
    Danny C, Jasper, AL, June 25, 2010 19:58
    We bought this van brand new. We had a few problems with it at the beginning. Luckily it was still under warranty when the transmission slipped. still does, but warranty is out, brake light ABS comes on and stays on, the dvd player is on all the time flashing lights we can not cut off, everything we tried has not worked. Does anyone know what to do to get the dvd players lights to stop flickers adn it will not take another disc in it.
    Visitor, Berrien Springs, MI, June 14, 2010 15:06
    it is a good vehicle. I would not mind buying another one.
    Visitor, Salem, WV, June 14, 2010 07:47
    I got my 2001 Dodge Caravan Sport with 25K on it from a rental agency. It now (2010) has 240,000 miles! I rebuilt the transmission at 158,000 miles but the engine is original and makes no extra noise. I've had almost no other problems with this car ... other than wearing out electric window motors.
  • 2004 Dodge Caravan
    Visitor, Mitchellville, IA, April 23, 2010 20:44
    2004 SXT 20th Anniversary Edition, 154,000 miles: Great van, crappy brakes -- 4 wheel disc . Front rotors prone to warping. Have been told that the brakes aren't big enough for the van's 4300 lbs. All electronics work great -- DVD player etc. Power sliders quit at 100,000 and 120,000. Water pump leaks a tad, but what the hell, we've driven the piss out of it. Suspension parts were replaced early under warranty and then again at about 90,000. Overall a good, dependable van.
    Visitor, Oakland Gardens, NY, April 17, 2010 16:09
    Great van ,cheap parts on internet,would buy again
    Visitor, Chaseley, ND, March 26, 2010 22:21
    lousy dodge service hard to beleive this company makes the challenger cant get rid of it soon enough
  • 2007 Dodge Caravan
    painterboy, Indianapolis, IN, March 24, 2010 20:38
    I own a gold 2007 SXT and found it to be a very quiet, very smooth riding vehicle with lots of room for the whole family.
  • 1997 Dodge Caravan
    knowwhatswrongbutcantfixit, Northridge, CA, November 27, 2009 17:48
    Overall I love my van. I actually prefer it to my other vehicles which are newer (Volvo S60 and Buick LeSabre). However, there are two problems that are annoying...my wiper blades come on periodically for no apparent reason and I have had problems with the passenger side rear tail light, the socket melts slightly and the bulb burns out. I have replaced sockets a half dozen times but it drives well and I really enjoy driving it especially when there are no children in it! : )
    endeavorniche, Fort Walton Beach, FL, August 12, 2009 13:22
    If you are going to purchase a Chrysler Minivan, go for the Chrysler Town and Country. While it looks like a Dodge Caravan, it is far and away a much nicer vehicle. Sort of like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. I've owned all of them T&C, Caravan, Voyager of all trim levels and all motors. The T&C with the 3.8 V6 is hands down the best. Oh, and expect transmission problems with all of them. This is a well known fact. If you drive your van even a little low on fluid expect catastrophic results. When your van gets to 150k miles if you still have your original transmission, always keep your cellphone with you. You are on borrowed time.
    johnschaffer, Lenexa, KS, May 07, 2009 16:50
    Overall, I think this vehicle deserves 3 stars. I could probably rate it higher, but it doesn't hold up real well under the vigor of a soccer mom on a mission.
  • 2006 Dodge Caravan
    Dr. John, Okmulgee, OK, April 11, 2009 11:12
    Some of the plastic interior is not as durable as it could be and the seat releases are not adequate to stand up to more than moderate use in that they have a tendancy to hang up and the release handle will begin to give and bend. The stereo system gives almost concert hall quality sound. Everything else over all is above average in my opinion. It is a comfortable and easy to drive vehicle and I do not regret buying it in the least.
    tee, Cleveland, OH, April 11, 2009 07:42
    still runs great love my van
    Happy_1, Grand Rapids, MI, April 08, 2009 15:20
    Very good, still has original exhaust and air conditioner has never had any problems. Some rust around slider and front driver's door. Runs Great!
  • 1998 Dodge Caravan