Honda Q&A

1994 Honda Prelude Question: Distributor Problems?

darleneg20, Lavonia, GA, October 22, 2009, 03:48

Car will be running great, but about once a month something happens that totally fries the distributor.When this happens the car does not give any kind of warning. It just will not crank the next time. I have put two new distributors in it, about 30 days apart. The timing seems fine. Car doesn't backfire. Runs smooth. Could this be a ground wire shorting out somewhere? If so where would I begin to search for this wire? If someone knows the answer to this, I sure would appreciate it. These distributors are getting costly. I have the dist's put on, but nobody seems to be able to tell me what is causing them to short out in the first place.

1 Answer

rdude135 October 23, 2009, 04:45
     Journeyman

I have never experienced this before. Since I don't know exactly what's happening with the distributor it's hard to say what's going on. There are several circuits in the distributor itself and depending upon what wire is the problem that circuit will have to be traced and checked. If you still have an old distributor you might want to take it to a qualified technician with the car and explain what is happening. From the failed part the tech might be able to trace the circuit to find a problem.