Car Problem Reports

Lexus ES300 Debris in Idle Air Control Valve May Cause Engine Problems

Lexus ES300 Problem
15 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002

Engine Affected: 3.0L V6

Average Mileage: 116,945 mi (80,000 mi - 140,000 mi)

Verified

Debris can get into the idle air control valve. This will restrict the air flow into the engine, causing idle speed and/or stalling when cold. The valve can be cleaned or replaced to correct this concern.

•  Rookie

I just changed the battery...and now when it idles it dies out. Its fine when I give it gas, but once I take my foot off of the gas...there she goes.

• Visitor, , 3.0L V6, 125,675 mi

The same problem with my 1999 Lexus ES 300. It is an intermittent problem and suspect something wrong with the Air Intake System. I remove the throttle assembly and clean the IAC (Idle Air Control)and the problem was solved.

• Visitor, , 3.0L V6

Idle problem from air control valve

• pamcru, , 3.0L V6, 113,000 mi

• Visitor, , 3.0L V6, 140,000 mi

Had same problem - stalling and running rough. Took the assembly out and cleaned even though it didn't look real dirty. Problem solved. Runs like new.

• Visitor, , 3.0L V6, 108,000 mi

Took it to Lexus, took them a week to figure it out. Then they realized it was the air hose. Problem solved.

• Visitor, , 3.0L V6, 135,000 mi

car starts and runs but won't idle and stalls