Low Engine Idle and/or Stalling Due to Dirty Idle Air Control Valve on Toyota Solara

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Debris can get into the idle air control valve. This will restrict the air flow into the engine, causing idle speed and/or stalling when cold. The valve can be cleaned or replaced to correct this concern.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 138,700 (63,000–264,000)
Engines affected: 2.2L 4 Cylinder, 2.4L 4 Cylinder, 3.0L V6, 3.3L V6
10 model years affected: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, more2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
28 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 comments
when I turn the air conditioning on ,the idle becomes : very low!!!I would like to know how to fix it myself. Any advice? .where is that air valve control located and show me how to clean it .thanks
Sporadically the engine idles roughly usually after high speed driving on the Interstate and the engine is warm. First thought it could be water in the gas. Dry gas seemed to solve the problem. Toyota dealer wants to REPLACE the IAC at a cost of $500. Seems like cleaning it might be a cheaper alternative.
I had two Toyotas (2000 Solara V^ and a 1998 Camry V6) and both had the idle problem. Both my cars idled great at cold startup but around 200,000 miles they would occasionally idle really low (500RPM) on a warm restart, say after getting gas. So far, I can just gently gun the engine once and the 1000RPM idle returns.
Same problem, on cold starts engine will choke or idle at ~300 RPM. Only way the IAC opens is if I give the acceleration a nice push (up to around 3k RPM). Will attempt to clean the IAC today.
I recall: Car started poorly and then mostly died in December 2010 cold mornings. I had thought starting problem was due to a 9 1/2 year old original battery. Sears replaced battery twice but starting problem continued. Finally, as I couldn't work on the car at that time, I bought the car to the dealer, whose service writer had the exact problem with his car and whose service department correctly diagnosed the problem, clogged Idle Air Control Valve. Dealer replaced the valve.
start car put temp on and car stahls -
Low idle in neutral with 5 speed
replaced two times 1200 the second time
wont stay cranked...hasnt been fixed