Chevrolet Q&A

1990 Chevrolet Celebrity Question: could there be a problem in the electrical hornest that causes this problem?

Mr Kenneth Calip, Lindale, TX, August 27, 2009, 06:09

why does this car runs good for about 5 miles and then stalls out.I noticed that when it gets hot it shuts off,and once it cools off it will start back up.I have had the crank sensor,ecm control module,computer and coil packs replaced.I noticed that the injector stop spraying fuel but the fuel compression test shows atleast 40 psi pressure in the fuel rail.

dandd August 27, 2009, 16:40

What engine do you have and does it have a distributor? then I try and help you. I used to work at a GM dealership, but I need to know what kind of motor and ignition system you have. let me know.

Ok, I am pretty sure that this car has a coil pack ignition system. Under neath the Coil pack is the Ignition Module. I would suspect this. Do you get any Check Engine Lights especially a code 42 which is a loss of electronic spark timing. When the car dies, do you have spark?

Does your car have a Check Engine Light on? There are several sensors that can cause a lack of fuel delivery by the injectors. 2 of the most common are the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the Throttle Position Sensor. Since you have spark, the Crank Sensor has to be working but even though the engine is getting a Crank Signal, it may not be able to fire the injectors for several reasons. If you do have a code, check to see what the code is because it may allow you to trace down why the injectors are not being opened.

Mr Kenneth Calip, August 28, 2009, 05:21

I failed to mention that this is a 3.1 port fuel injection engine.

Mr Kenneth Calip, August 29, 2009, 06:27

believe this or not but this jewel has had all these existing components replaced and it does not lose spark control,it just stop getting fuel.I can spray starting fuild in the trottle body and it will run,it will die once I stop.However like i mention before it will start up and run right now but as it reaches a certain tempature it shuts off and will not start and run again until it get cold.This the problem I was having before i replaced the ignition module,two coil pac,ecm,spark plugs etc.etc.

Visitor, August 19, 2010, 23:13

If you are losing fuel and you are sure that the Crank Sensor is working, then check the fuel pump relay. Check to see if you are losing Fuel Pressure with a Fuel Pressure Gauge and check for Injector Pulse. That will isolate the problem.

Reese1 November 15, 2009, 13:53

Did you ever find the problem? I have the same model car with 190K that just recently started doing the exact same problem you are having.

Visitor, August 19, 2010, 19:32

I replaced many components including the fuel pump in the gas tank in a mini store parking lot using a adjustable wrench and and hammer! No results. Changed the ingition module and every thing is running great on my '92 Chevy van with 267k miles. My two sons had the same problem and solution and a certified desiel mechanic where I work. All with GM engines. Told them all to replace ingition module and all have been repaired. Cold engine bypassed the module and when warmed up, runs through the ing. Mod.

Visitor, August 30, 2010, 08:42

try replacing your thermostat.. probably costs like 10$ if its not reading right, it will cause your engine to stall for a while.. we had the same problem as you but with a 99 blazer.. after replacing the thermostat, all is well!