I recently have been getting the P0420 code in my 4runner with CA emissions. Which means I have two catalytic converters. I took it into a shop where they took the voltage readings for the o2 sensors and they said it looked good. I was under the hood playing with the throttle while passing "Seafoam" through to clean the engine and noticed that some of that seafoam smoke was coming from in between exhaust pipes. The leak is at the connection right after the headers so I'm assuming it is just bad gaskets. I get the CEL P0420 code usually under hard accelerations, rainy weather, or stop and go driving. Unusual thing is that when I took it for a road trip from Portland to San Diego, and also from Portland to Seattle, the code never came on! Please help!!
Could a Exhaust leak cause P0420? on 1999 Toyota 4Runner
Asked by Visitor for the 1999 Toyota 4Runner
This week's top 10
Recent Toyota 4Runner Questions
- Eng Trac off vsc light is on I can take cable off batt it go off sho no code?
- Side to side wobble under 8 mph. Steering wheel not jerking.
- I have cylender that is. Not firing and when taking ng off heads #1 was like ne
- Will not start when cold temperature, what will cause that
- Shift to "D" -> Very weak pullup -> Chekengine light on.
1999 Toyota 4Runner Estimates
- Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement ($321 - 453) in Ho Ho Kus, NJ
- Coolant Leak Diagnosis ($88 - 111) in Klamath Falls, OR
- Thermostat Replacement ($147 - 207) in Nemo, TX
- Brake Pad Replacement, Resurface Rotors ($233 - 338) in Postville, IA
- Window Switch Replacement ($270 - 281) in Lamar, CO
- Suspension Control Arm Bushings Replacement ($754 - 824) in Fairview, IL