Could a burned out dummy light be the cause of my alternator problems? on 1997 Honda Accord

I just bought this car 1 day ago. While driving it home, the car died 1 block from my house. I could tell the lights were dimming before it died and once it finally did die, the battery was completely dead. I figured it was the alternator. Today I checked the alternator with a voltage meter and sure enough it wasn't charging the battery. After replacing the alternator I checked it again and it wasn't charging the battery! I ended up replacing the battery and checking it again, still nothing! After reading some things on line, I realized that I never saw the dummy light come on this entire time. I read that if the dummy light is burned out, the alternator won't work. So how do I change the dummy light?

by in Streamwood, IL on May 11, 2013
3 answers 4 comments
ANSWER by on May 11, 2013
Have you verified that the fuse (to the dummy light circuit) is good? It's the #4 -7.5 amp fuse in the under-dash fuse box.(assuming 4cyl. non V-TEC). If the fuse is good , next check the black/yellow wire at alt, 4 pin connector---key on , should be battery voltage. Next would be to ground the white/blue wire at same 4 pin connector and see if the charging system light comes on. Reply with any questions (please use voltmeter NOT test light )
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
COMMENT by on May 12, 2013
Thanks for the good leads! I will check that as soon as I get home. BINGO!! The #4 fuse was blown. Thanks for the help I was afraid it was something much more expensive.
COMMENT by on May 12, 2013
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY!!! iT'S RARE WHEN WE ACTUALLY GET ONE , AND EVEN MORE RARE WHEN SOMEONE FOLLOWS THROUGH AND LETS US KNOW WHETHER WE HELPED OR SCREWED THEM UP WORSE! In your case it helped. Happy motoring!
ANSWER by on May 12, 2013
In addition to zipties answer, where did that alternator come from, Advance, Zone or similar parts store? New or rebuilt? Defective alt. can cause the light not to illum. AT ALL but the checks zip suggested will tell. With key on, if you can turn the light on by grounding wire in alt. connector (the one he said) then buy a better alternator, i have seen this problem before on several different makes not just Honda! I had rather have a good used one than a base line rebuilt!
COMMENT by on May 12, 2013
I did buy a rebuilt alt from Pepboys and the possibility of it being bad did cross my mind. You'd think they'd bench test these things at the store before selling them! Thanks for the response! It will be on my list of things to check.
COMMENT by on May 12, 2013
I second that!! By the way you got some good advice from a Honda Tech. and it wasn't me. Glad to hear you got it fixed!
ANSWER by on May 13, 2013
Your generic electronic module is what controls these systems, if it shorted it may be causing your dome lights to stay on.http://www.lightdeal.co.uk/