Car Problem Reports

17 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

Engines Affected: 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 2.5L 4 Cylinder Turbo

Average Mileage: 96,478 mi (46,000 mi - 175,000 mi)

Verified

The head gasket has a high failure rate due to cooling system problems. Subaru is aware of the problem and has extended the warranty to 8 years/100k miles on many vehicles.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 80,000 mi

Bought a used 2004 Baja. had been jury rigged for sale, but engine was bad due to blown head gasket. Had to replace engine.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 100,000 mi

loss of coolant. smoke coming from crankcase,vehical o2 sensor bad also. engine beginning to run rough. Nothing repaired yet but suspect cooling system problems and head gasket failure.

• VickieT, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 175,000 mi

While driving my Baja I noticed the temperature gauge seemed a little higher than normal last spring. Then this last Summer started noticing a hot oil smell coming through the vents and around the engine after driving. After seein oil spots on ground, I had engine bottom completely clean to see where the oil leak was coming from. It has been diagnosed as a failing head gasket. Mechanic is putting together an estimate.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 118,000 mi

not yet fixed, weekend project to pull engine and replace headgaskets.

• bsmith2323, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 97,500 mi

Head gasket leak found while having timing belt replaced. Guessing I don't benefit from the warranty extension being the second owner. Have to look into cooling system fixes to prevent recurrence. Anyone done this yet???

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 58,630 mi

I was driving with the a/c on when the temp guage rose to the "hot" area on the dashboard and the a/c turned warm. I turned the heat on high until I could reach a service station. After adding coolant the problem seemed fixed. I asked around about it and was told to have the collant flushed and replaced which I did. Now I've noticed my driveway is wet under the car. Not a puddle just wet. I also have to add coolant from time to time to replace what is leaking. What should I do?

• foofer, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder Turbo, 156,000 mi

Head gasket replaced at approx. 100,000 miles. About three weeks ago, the gasket started leaking. Since the cooling system problems have not been addressed this problem may surface again.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 92,293 mi

Intermittent overheating
    Coolant looked like Yoohoo.
    $3000 repair at Midas

• buggs, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 49,315 mi

During past 650 miles and 1 1/2 mo. (last oil change 49379), oil has gone to nearly out twice and coolant to lower third once. "check engine" code said catalytic converter out and I was told it could be from broken head gasket. There's no oil leaking underneath. Are these problems related and where is oil going? I'm not driving it because check light stays on.