Car Problem Reports

36 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Engines Affected: 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 3.0L 6 Cylinder

Average Mileage: 95,911 mi (22,000 mi - 169,000 mi)

Verified

The head gasket has a high failure rate due to cooling system problems. Subaru is aware of the problem and has extended the warranty to 8 years/100k miles on many vehicles.

• jimr24, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 147,000 mi

car overheated , replaced water pump , radiator , sensors ,hoses ,head gasget

• sdjrs, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 75,000 mi

head gasket caused oil leaks and replaced, along with thermostat and coolant flush, total cost more than $2600.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 65,000 mi

Coolant level drops, sweet smell when engine stops

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 110,000 mi

Leaking head gasket.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 81,000 mi

Car began overheating. Mechanic replaced thermostat and radiator cap. Problem continued. Mechanic then diagnosed blown head gasket and used chemical treatment to seal the gaps and correct the problem. However, car is continuing to overheat under stress (highway, a/c running, high outside temp). Considering next step.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 125,000 mi

Head gasket leak

• xockcaj, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 110,000 mi

seriously reconsidering purchasing another subaru at this point.

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 90,440 mi

I had my 2008 Outback in for my 90000 mile servicing and was informed by my dealer (Koenig Chevrolet/Subaru) that I had a coolant leak at the head gaskets. Repair cost $1500.00. We haven't gotten it fixed yet, we're still trying to get over the shock and checking out our options. This is when my wife is looking to replace her 2004 Mazda 6, which has been an excellent car. Having second thoughts about the new Legacy!

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 95,400 mi

Both side head gaskets. Replaced them, both side valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, intake gasket, exhaust gasket, timing belt, front crank seal, water pump and gaskets, thermostat and gaskets, flush coolant, drive belts, idler pulley. $2,934.21

• Visitor, , 2.5L 4 Cylinder, 65,000 mi

The coolant idiot light came on and we pulled over to read the manual. It said when the engine cools and the light goes out, keep driving. If the light stays on, DO NOT DRIVE. The light went out and it never came back on again. When checking under the hood, the reservoir cap was blown and there was coolant all over the engine and the underside of the hood. I took it to the Subaru dealer and they said 'blown head gasket'. Fortunately, it was still under warranty. It had been serviced less than 2 weeks before so I know it was a problem with radiator hose or something. I saw the recall on the 2010s but the Service Dept said not for my VIN. I am skeptical.

+ See more reports