Convertible top problem on 2000 Volvo C70

We just purchased this car from a private dealer 2 days ago. We had the convertible top down and it wouldn't go back up. It released on the driver's side but seemed to be stuck on the passenger side. Eventually got it up manually. Now when holding the button down to put the top down, the windows don't go all the way down. We have to push the button 3-4 times to get them to go down. Only the back of the top folds up. Nothing else happens to the top at this point. We've never owned a convertible so this is like a kick to the gut. Any suggestions? Please help!

by in Bremen, IN on April 28, 2010
3 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on April 28, 2010
I've worked on these since they first came out in 1998, and I wouldn't try making any repairs to this if I didn't have the proper computer equipment to connect to the convertible top computer. It sounds like one of the micro-switches or potentiometers has possibly failed, but you'll need to have it looked at to know for sure. You should find someone who has experience with these vehicles, I suggest a good Volvo Independent or a dealer. Here are some in your are: http://repairpal.com/directory?address=46506&car_brand_names=Volvo Good Luck!
COMMENT by on October 21, 2010
Yes, check the microswitches. Also, should your c70 rear window seperate from the top you will want to find a good glass shop to repair it. In Fort Myers, FL Tropic Glass is the best and has the most experience in repairing the c70 rear window on convertibles.
ANSWER by on February 22, 2011
Get it fixed and then SELL IT I have had nothing but problems with mine and because of this I will never own another convertible unless it is under warranty and then I would have to think about it!! I had the potentiameter replaced and then have problems with the top going back up and completing its cycle the light flashes on the dash and so this triggers the car to tell me this by dinging and not stopping. Unother words I got the top back up on mine as well with the help of 2 other people but it still is dinging and the light is flashing. It is a very costly repair of course and just seems like its better to keep it up bcse you never know what is going to happen when you try to put it down even if I got it fixed!!
ANSWER by on July 03, 2014
I went to test drive a volvo 2000 convertable today, the battery was dead so i had to jump start the car-there was no carpet on the floor,the right head lamp-was out, the radio and cd player would not turn on,and the convertable top did not work at all and the side view mirror on the passenger side was gone-need a new battery too.The owner said the reason the convertable top would not work cause its probaly a fuse,but I dont believe that because nothing happend at all, I had the drivers window down-but there was not even a hum.and he wants $,1500,how much will fixing the top cost,and should i even buy it at all.
The convertible top may have problems with the micro-switches and potentiometers that help control the raising and lowering of the top.
I was trying to lower the convertible top when it stuck 1/2 way down. It will not move either...
In a 1999 Volvo C70 convertible the light on the switch that operates the convertible top stays on what is wrong?