2000 Dodge Stratus Stalling problem? on 2000 Dodge Stratus

Have a 2000 Dodge Stratus with 2.4 liter engine. About 4 weeks ago we were out and the car just quiot with no warning after about an hour of driving and wouldn't start. After about 5 minutes it started back up but died again after a couple minutes. It did this several times so we left the car and got a ride home. Returned to the car 2 hours later and it started up and I drove it home with no problems. Didn't use the car at all for 2 weeks and then did and had the exact same issues as it quit on me after about an hour of driving. Let the car sit for 2 hours and then drove it home with no issues. Today I got in the car and drove only 5 minutes and had the same problems. I have changed both camshaft and crankshaft position sensors in the last 4 months due to another problem. Really need some help on this as I'm really confused. Hoping Johnny Mopar reads this post as I know he's a dodge expert and that's what I need. Thanks to all who offer any help or advice as I need it.

by in South Park, PA on January 19, 2010
3 answers 1 comment
ANSWER by on January 19, 2010
The engine needs three things to run, mechanical integrity, fuel and spark. The engine has mechanical integrity (able to develop compression ect....) it must be loosing spark or fuel either due to loss of input from a key sensor supplying information to the engine computer or failure of something like the fuel pump or a relay or control module. Teeing in a fuel pressure gauge would be a good place to start (seeing if you have fuel pressure when the vehicle fails to start and checking for spark at the coil are the first two places to start). Your car has on board diagnostics, a professional grade scantool/trouble code reader can lok at fuel trim figures (to check for a failing fuel pump) it can look at air intake figures to the engine (to check the airflow/air mass meter) and can check other key inputs to the computer without having to do intrusive testing but my suspicion is the fuel pump or a relay or controlling fuel delivery is failing when it gets hot.
COMMENT by on January 19, 2010
Forgot to mention that I swapped out the fuel pump relay and ASD relay yesterday. Really strange that it quit so fast today as it was only 5 minutes of driving and I hadn't even warmed the car up just came out started it up and left where the other incidents took place after about an hour and half of driving the car both times.
ANSWER by on June 17, 2010
Hi Dave did you ever correct this problem , and if so what was the results to fix the car because I am having this problem now. please reply, thank you.
ANSWER by on February 20, 2011
Could very well be the throttle position sensor
I have a 2000 dodge stratus 6 cyl my car stalls sometimes after driving at least one hour or more. No check engine lights appear and repair shops show no problems, has anyone had this problem or kn...
The car will run for 5 minutes then stall. Then it will not restart for 15 minutes then you can start it again. No check engine light. We have changed both the crank and cam sensor. I find that thi...
it will start and drive. sometimes all day sometimes for 5 minutes. if i disconect the battery and reconnect it the car will start without having to wait 15 minutes.what could be causing this?
Shuts off when I hit a bump with the front tires, but comes back on when I hit the bump with back tires. Now it just wants to go in reverse.I don't know what's going on