Toyota Q&A

2006 Toyota RAV4 Question: complete lost of electric supply/can't start car/battery problem

yanyang, 2.4L 4 Cylinder, Hartsdale, NY, November 24, 2009, 14:00

my 2006 toyota rav 4 won't start after I filled tank at gas station. Gas station guy jump start my battery and told me to have my car running for 20 minutes, I drop by my house and leave the car running , but after 1 minute the battery drop dead again and all electric supply is gone. (Also when I drive my car after it was jump started the car is not running right the first few seconds; everything on my dashboard lights up and the car runs as if there is no brake, ie. I am not really in control of my car, then after a couple of minutes the car is running normally.) The battery indicator said it is good, so what is the problem. What should I do? Should I jump start it again and drive the car for 20-30 miles as suggested by Toyoto dealer. Is it very dangerous to drive a car that can lost all electric supply without warning ? I am lucky that this happen at the gas station this time.

matte November 24, 2009, 16:52

If you feel like the problem is affecting safety items like your brakes, I would not drive the car at all. I would tow it to the nearest repair shop, and have them fix it.

It sounds like you have an electrical problem in the starting/charging system. Could be the battery/alternator, or something else. You don't need to go all the way to the dealer unless you are still under warranty. But I would be wary of driving if your brakes are not functioning predictably.

• Medium-star Best Answer
    cunningham83 December 17, 2009, 10:50

i kinda had the same problem with my vehicle. there might be something in your vehicle that is causing your battery to drain. the first thing i would do is to check and see if the battery is good. if the battery is good. take out your alternator and take it to autozone and they will check it for free. if the alternator is good, then if you dont have one, go to autozone and buy a circuit checker. it looks like a screwdriver with a point on the end and a light bulb in it. make sure you get the one with an extra wire with a clamp on it. after that, take your negative battery cable off and put the wire with the clamp on the end of the cable and the point of the screwdriver on the terminal of the battery. when the light turns on, start pulling fuses out of the fuse boxes seperately. i'd start with the fuse box under the hood. whichever fuse you pull out, make sure the light is on or off. if the bulb is not lit, then thats whats draining your battery. so repeat that step with all the fuses until your done. after you found all the fuses that made the bulb go out, make sure you find out what that fuse or fuses supply all that power to.