Honda Q&A

2002 Honda Civic Question: clutch pilot bearing problem?

Mak3shift_21, 1.7L 4 Cylinder, Woodbridge, VA, July 27, 2010, 11:09

I've got a grinding noise coming from the area around my wheels in my car. It is not like a grinding gears noise, nor is it like a brake rotor kind of grinding/whine. It is not consistent except that when I turn harder it tends to make noise more frequently. The noise has a sort of rhythm when it does make the sound. It happens in all gears 1-5 (I have a manual transmission) but more frequently in 1-3 gears when I do more turning or harder turning.

I took the car to the dealership (and I don't trust these guys) and they said that the noise is the clutch pilot bearing.

What kinds of noises do clutch pilot bearings make and about how much would it cost to fix? (My other problem with the dealership is that they looked at the car, gave an estimate, and then couldn't tell me how much of the cost was labor and parts. Not impressed considering it is supposed to be written up somewhere.)
Or does this description sound like something else possibly?
My friend who races cars said it sounds like wheel bearings or suspension problems, but that doesn't mean it's certain.

1 Answer

CivicEXowner April 09, 2013, 13:45

I drive an 02 Honda civic ex 5spd and i have a similiar noise, if you hear the noise when your pushing in the clutch and its a whine/growl (depending on severity) its more likely then not the Throw Out Bearing. If it is a pilot or TOB then your going to want to have the clutch replaced because in order to repair the part they have to disassemble the whole clutch system. Clutch kits run $90+ and its about a 4 1/2 hour job so its close to $400-500 in labor cost. you should be able to tell depending on how the clutch is responding, you should be able to feel the vibrations on the pedal itself. I also recommend checking into your power steering