Reviews for Chevrolet Venture years:

Chevrolet Venture Reviews and Owner Comments

Chevrolet VentureOwner Reviews (39 reviews)
    Visitor, Muncie, IN, March 04, 2014 06:51
    Nothing but problems with my van that has 82,000 miles. Just about anything that can go wrong, that is expensive to fix, has gone wrong. Never another GM car for me after this nightmare. Japanese car, here I come. Worst car I have ever owned.
    jenifer33, Johnstown, PA, January 02, 2014 07:42
    mass problems with this EVAP emissions system, big time fail on chevys part i must say, im amazed of all the problems i have been reading about. My chevy van has been broke down now for over 3 weeks and still cannot figure out the problem. i will NEVER own a chevy van ever again
    Visitor, Youngstown, NY, September 23, 2013 06:25
    Braek is not working and there is a smell of electrical smoke
    Visitor, New Castle, IN, April 18, 2013 20:50
    Wow. I have read the reviews of other Venture owners, nasty. I must have got the odd duck. I have 246,858 miles on mine. Bought it new with 3 miles on it. Other then general maintenance, I had to replace the rear light circuit boards (common problem) and have the transmission rebuilt at 186000 miles. Other then that its been brakes and belts/hoses and oil changes. The 3400 V6 still gets 27 mpg/highway 16 city, which is about the same or more then most new vans get. No payments to make and parts are common to find as they used that engine and transmission in several GM products. As long as it runs I will keep it. Sorry the others are having such a bad time with their Ventures.
    Visitor, Henderson, NV, February 09, 2013 10:31
    FOR THE GUY WITH THE 2000 VENTURE with battery problems The battery plastic caps shouldn't be too hard to remove at all, just pull or pry on them, (make sure you DO NOT short circuit the battery against some metal part of the vehicle prying). Then remove the NEGATIVE terminal FIRST, (that would be the black, "- sign" terminal). Batteries emit hydrogen gas so you don't want to be creating any sparks any where close to a car battery. The Battery hold-down is on the back side at the bottom of the battery. You will need a socket with an extension and a rachet or handle to remove it. If you are not a mechanic, it's best to go to one of the auto parts stores like Auto Zone, Checker Flag, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, or others. They will ussually install the battery at no extra charge when you buy it.
    Visitor, Stilwell, OK, July 05, 2012 11:55
    I have a 2004 Venture that was brought with 12,000 miles on it. I now have over 112,000 miles. And I have not had any trouble with it, just brakes and normal stuff with any car. I love it.
  • 1999 Chevrolet Venture
    Visitor, Cedar Grove, WV, February 13, 2012 19:31
    my power sliding is not work on my van so what do i fixed it i would like it to work again
    Visitor, Kenbridge, VA, January 21, 2012 11:36
    heating air conditioning no good
    Visitor, Locust Grove, GA, January 18, 2012 15:34
    I own a 2001 Venture.I bought it in 2007 from a buy here pay here lot.No problems from it untill two years ago.Started with brake lights which cost me over two hundred dollars in fines from the police.Replace the cicuit boards the lights were fixed,for two months.l Left brake light not working again.I have also replaced the oil sending unit,crank shaft senscor,right wheel hub,alternator,radiator,serpertine belt and now my rear brakes or it may be the axle.Can not wait to buy a new car and blow this van up
    Visitor, Lynnwood, WA, January 12, 2012 00:02
    I bought this mini van a year before from a car dealer. Recently I vent some where and did not drive it for 28 days. When I was back and tried to start it, it did not start and there wasn,t any light. I charged that battery but it still did not work on that day but when I tried to start next day it worked. But on the same day at evening it did not start again. Long story short someone asked me to replace the battery by myself (to save some extra dollors machanic charges)and I tried to remove the battery first it is under the relay which to remove it is another annoying thing but when I some how managed to take away the relay box from the top of battery now I stuck with another problem. The battery terminals are to the side of battery (they are not on top of the battery) and they are covered with the plastic caps which is hard to remove them in that tight narrow place and if you want to remove the battery it is hard to find where is the bracket or bolts which are keeping battery tight with its place. If some one has any clue about how to remove those plastic caps and find out the battery brackets that will be very helpfull and I will appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
  • 2005 Chevrolet Venture
    Visitor, Camden, TN, November 16, 2011 19:15
    i now have 148,000 mi on my venture. I replaced the power steering pump at about 100,000 mi as it began leaking around the shaft. I replaced the liftgate struts 5 months ago. These are the only things replaced. I am very pleased with it. I owned two Pontiac minivans before, and drove the 1990 176,000 mi and the 1998 over 201,000 mi.,with hardly any replacement parts. I have had extraordinary success with the GM vehicles
    Visitor, Cambridge, MA, October 10, 2011 04:52
    My 2000 Chevy Venture mini van was great, Got it in 03 and got the best warranty..gold somthing or other? less than a year after it expired BIG Problems. one is the electrical system, wacky, replace lights... blow out,window go up when it wants, after a few can get it up. does take $$ I have replaced so much in this van, that I'd hate to start over! I know what I have replaced so why give it up and start over(can't afford new vehicle). It's hard to part with a great van like this. Unless you have had one you probably wouldn't understand I as well had an accident and the 3 other cars looked horrid, van was able to drive away. Have to say even with all it's problems I still have enjoyed driving it, just wish my wallet was bigger!
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, August 05, 2011 08:51
    purchased the car in 05 pretty good condition never really had problems until struts went,was pretty easy but expensive.now trying to change the plugs hard times mean hard decisions.all told the van is great...
  • 1997 Chevrolet Venture
    invester, Statesboro, GA, July 09, 2011 19:51
    junk car, had it since new. 6 ac compressors, three intake manifold jobs, one headgasket job, one trans, 195k miles a real money pit. you have to be a millionare to own one.
    Visitor, Marlton, NJ, July 03, 2011 12:27
    this is my 2nd venture. Both lemons. I WAS a die-hard gm person. No more. I give up. After shock, struts, tie rod ends, rear brake problems. I am now missing cylinder 6. This comes 24hrs after I got it tuned up at the dealer. Waiting to find out if the repairs are more than the car is worth. No more GM, no more!!
    Visitor, Brownell, KS, May 24, 2011 09:02
    I bought this van new in 2003. It now has 180,000 miles on it,we drive it every day,and other than regular maintenance has cost very little to own.I hate to see the day when I have to get rid of it.Very reliable vehicle!
    babyslu, Saint Louis, MO, April 20, 2011 08:32
    I have owned this van for 3 years now and I'm repairing the tie rods and hubbearrings for a 2nd time. Also my rear tail light hasn't worked for over a year. Recently told my busings and control arm needs to be replaced as well as my brakes and rotors. Total work needing to be done. $2041
    Visitor, Bucyrus, OH, January 21, 2011 14:39
    I have had my Chevy Venture for app. 5 years now after purchasing if with less than 50,000 ml. My Venture now has just under 150,000 ml on it. I have been reading other reviews, WOW! All I can say is that I feel your pain. I complain to my wife about the yearly expenses of maintaining this vehicle. Last year I spent $1,600 to keep it running and the previous two years I spent no less than $500 each year on parts since I do my own work. I feel sorry for the person that is not able to do their own work which would triple the cost to maintain this vehicle. I understand a vehicle of this milage will require maintenance, but not this much. I had the head gaskets replaced, replaced the condenser for the second time, rebuilt the front end and put new tires on it. Now my brake lights are not working and am told it may cost me hundreds to fix as well. Maybe I was spoiled when I sold my Pontiac Bonneville that had 250,000 ml's on it with no work done to the engine. I am seriously looking for a vehicle that was built smart and made to last. Although the van is roomy and rides nicely this vehicle is neither.
    Visitor, Dinosaur, CO, January 19, 2011 20:08
    I have owned my Venture for over 6 years and have had a lot of problems with the electrical stuff - windows especially. Now that it's time to change spark plugs, I find they've made that impossible for the owner to do.
    scotthale1, Lockport, NY, December 14, 2010 16:02
    I'm really hating this choice in vehicles.
  • 1998 Chevrolet Venture
    SkooterTrash, Lehi, UT, December 11, 2010 11:59
    Love this van. No troubles at all.
    Visitor, Medicine Lodge, KS, December 11, 2010 11:56
    Bought in 2004 w/ 19k miles as a Program car from local Chevrolet dealer, has 178K on it now. It has had tiptop maintenance. The most aggravating problem is the constant leaking of antifreeze onto the manifold, this is not covered under any recall and is a $800-1000 repair. It seems the gaskets were of very poor quality, and this caused the leaking. It was necessary to constantly be checking the recovery reservoir to make sure it had enough coolant, if not, the heater would not work well (never did really), and the transmission would seem to slip. We never got this vehicle hot, but the dealer would always say if the coolant was low the trans might slip. Other problems include very poor headlights, they are not very bright and have Hs0 condensation inside them. We wanted something we could get service on locally, not sure it was worth it, we plan to get a Toyota next time. Build quality has been extremely poor, a huge dissapointment for approx. $18k vehicle. We feel like we got ripped off. GM should have covered these problems. They only buy the cheapest materials that are borderline functional and let the consumer sort out the rest at their expense. Shame on GM. Thanks for reading my review.
    Visitor, Villa Park, IL, December 08, 2010 09:35
    I bought my 01 Venture almost 3 years ago and it is a pile of garbage. It was bought at a dealer with an "as is no warranty" which I regret every day of my life. 3 months after purchase, and at 152K miles, head gaskets needed to be replaced ($1400) and as soon as I got the van home, the power steering pump went out ($250). Shortly after that, the rear wiper motor took a crap on me which remains un repaired at this point simply because I just put $3000 more into the van due to an engine replacement at 165K miles. The suspension was never good ever, so that's next on the long list of to-do's. Idol control module was replaced last month as well ($220) and in the summer of 2010, I replaced the a/c compressor which thankfully I only put out $100 on that as my mechanic took pitty on me and waived the labor costs. Next month at tax refund time, the suspension will be repaired, as well as the power steering pump (again) as it leaks everywhere....BUYER BEWARE, unless you want one, come see me because in another couple of months, everything under the hood will be good cause I've had to fix it all!! UGH! If it wasn't a financed vehicle, I would have driven it into Lake Michigan by now!
    Visitor, Fayetteville, NC, November 26, 2010 16:12
    This vehicle has been my worst nightmare. I have had it for 5 years and have spent thousands each year replacing the same parts. Catylist Converter twice, O2 sensors twice, head gasket twice and a number of other things. This is a crapy vehicle and Chevy should recall and replace
    BriBri, Randallstown, MD, November 17, 2010 08:10
    Great Van! Wish they were still making them.
    Visitor, Columbia, MO, November 17, 2010 08:09
    We bought this van new in 04 and only have 60,000 miles on it today. It is a peace of crap every month there is something new wrong with it. We had the seals replaced twice, the lt wheel bearings were bad, the fuel gauge does not work, and today it started misfireing and knocking. I will never buy another Chevrolet again. Poor Poor work.
    kevtothemax, Staten Island, NY, October 28, 2010 21:48
    Had a problem with coolant leaking had to have repaired over a thousand bucks, entertainment console hanging down, sliding door squeals when opened, have to keep putting the rubber along the track. but never had any problem starting and a/c works good back and front, I only have 45k and had it since 2000 bought it brand new, had a problem with the rear tail lights would not go on kept replacing the fuse but would blow as soon as i replaced it, once in a while it worked for a couple of days, but it always blows, no one knows what causes it and I am not going to pay for a witch hunt by the mechanics only to find it still blows, I like the room it provides and it rides great on the highway but rough in the street
    wadsnl, Lewistown, PA, October 09, 2010 16:50
    We bought our van two years ago with 92,000 miles and now theres 144,000 miles. We have used this van for ever thing from general uses, our small bussiness, to family trips since we have had it the water pupm when out, the rear wipermotor, and a couple other small things. We love our van. It roomy for 6 kids, great on gas (22 mpg highway) I would buy another one
    Visitor, Bensalem, PA, June 18, 2010 15:29
    Owned for 6 years since new - now at 80,000 miles - never had one problem, never tuned up - runs like new. Just change the fluids & go - Awesome van!
    Visitor, Huntington, WV, May 20, 2010 10:15
    The van over heats and the heating/AC is weak. The service provider has replaced EVERYTHING--all to no avail. From what I've read, this is a common problem in this model.
    Visitor, Pineville, NC, April 15, 2010 12:58
    I am a mother of four and I must say the space is the absolute best thing about this van. Each seat either reclines to comfort for each child's needs. I haven't had it for more than 6 months but I haven't had to change anything but a turn signal so far. Knock on wood. I love my van!
    sb219, Hancock, MI, March 17, 2010 20:05
    I bought it used with 78k 4 years ago. It has 107k and I to replace the MAP sensor and rear windshield motor. Transmission has started to act up so I will be replacing that soon at 2300 buck. The ride is great but has a little road noise. The van is roomy with 7 places for seating. Has plenty of power to haul what ever we can.
    blank, Bangor, ME, February 06, 2010 08:03
    we bought this van with 20K on it and bought the extended warranty which we needed to replace engine gaskets and a wheel bearing which was very costly. Overall happy with the van the biggest complaint is very little heat when outside temperature drops below 30 degrees. the engine temperature drops very fast after you shut it off, like 15 minutes after shut down it has completely cooled and has to run 15 -20 minutes before heat comes back and you are still shivering because it isn't very warm air
    sgronevelt, Lake Orion, MI, November 16, 2009 09:45
    This van has been a great second car for us Bought it with 78,000 and we now have 125,000+ Also been through two student drivers Burns no oil, gas mileage averages around 22 mpg highway and city Suspension is the only draw back, put new rear shocks on it at 90,000 and it still sounds like it bottoms out over bumps and pot holes
    Burtie, Omaha, NE, November 09, 2009 04:18
    We have had good results with this van. It is a good ride and great for vacations. My kids like to borrow it for their trips. We get excellant gas mileage and have had minimal service issues.
    gwa1225, Williamsburg, VA, August 29, 2009 14:23
    I bought my '04 Venture in May 2008 @ 80k miles to use for wedding transportation and wound up keeping it. Despite the mediocre ratings this series gets from CReports and in crash tests, in the 15k miles I've stacked on it in one year I've been quite pleased with it. It's comfortable, very flexible with 8-pax seating options, quiet, and gets commendable gas mileage; I also tow a 3500lb boat with mine, albeit not for long distances. The powertrain seems solid. Lesser points: it wallows a bit (needs shocks, I'm sure); the OBDII port is dead; the 12v power point is also dead (I wired in a new one); I get a wind whistle/shreik at hiway speeds in certain x-wind conditions (I see there's a TSB on this); and the pax-side power window is dead. But for what I paid (about $5500) it's a great value and its utility is hard to beat. (I run ours with all the center seats out and use that section as a "covered pickup bed.")
    har1eeguy, Lockport, IL, April 21, 2009 12:44
    THIS IS A GREAT VAN.WHEN MY SON GOT INJURED AND HAD TO BE IN A WHEELCHAIR,I HAD NO PROBLEM MOVEING OR TAKEING OUT THE SEATS TO INSTALL A RAMP OUT THE REAR DOOR WITH PLENTY OF ROOM TO LEAVE A SEAT IN. THIS VAN RUNS LIKE ITS NEW,AND NOT 9 YEARS OLR CHEVY HAS ALWAYS MADE A GREAT CAR,VAN AND TRUCK.
  • 1999 Chevrolet Venture
    Leo13, Albany, NY, January 19, 2009 11:23
    An exelent car (mini-van 1999) 161,560 miles (260,000 klm) still a"baby" rides same since I bought it new. In an accident that the other car was coming behind me on a about 100 klm/h while I was waiting holding my brakes hard and streched tight against my seat I got hit from that car a Chev Cavallier, went a " right- off" in bad shape and my Venture only chip a little piece of plastic 1"x1" from behind under the bumber the only damage was one seting of the 3 of the motorized drivers seat, was on one motor that the bolt bend slightly and got stuck, I have not fixed that yet, no need. I do not neglect the basic maintenance and especially the oil-change.
  • 2005 Chevrolet Venture
    commuter mom, Stanwood, WA, October 23, 2008 18:05
    70,000 miles and getting better mileage than at 20,000. Only problem we're having are with the gaskets around the second row seat doors.