Reviews for Chevrolet Suburban 1500 years:

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 Reviews and Owner Comments

Chevrolet Suburban 1500Owner Reviews (54 reviews)
    Noel Ekud, Louisville, KY, March 09, 2014 16:07
    My 2007 had the rear differential go out 2 weeks after the 5 year build date. After 3 letters Chevy paid half. My dealer guaranteed for 23 months and 13,000. died after 13 months and 20,000. MY PROBLEM. Love the car but think I have a lemon. My Tahoe died at 136,000 and this turkey is 118,000 and is leaking again. I have a Ford in my future.
    Visitor, Lake Stevens, WA, February 07, 2014 08:13
    We have owned a 2003 Chevy Suburban with 130,000 miles and have continued to enjoy this vehicle. I do understand that if you maintain it, the engine can last for a long time. I actually sold my Toyota Sequoia because it had nothing but transmission and electrical issues. The Suburban seemed to accommodate my family better and had more room including better ride comfort. I do want others to know that the Transfer Case for these vehicles will tend to make a small hole causing a leak and this will be costly. Also, with these many miles, I am ready for a rear main seal and front driveline output shaft seal, but lucky for us we have someone that can help in repairing this project. Again, there are no perfect vehicles and not everyone will have a non-issue suv but if you do, great! if you don't, find something that would work for you and your family. So far, we are really enjoying this suv and what it has to offer.
    Visitor, Fort Worth, TX, January 29, 2014 14:52
    i have had mine just over a year now, the only problems i have had is a flat tire, fuel pump went out, changed brakes. other then that she runs perfect couldn't ask for a better car.
    Visitor, Visalia, CA, January 27, 2014 20:31
    Bought used from private party. It started, didn't smoke, had a CA smog cert. U-joint was bad, vibrated all the way home. Since then,tune-up,tires,exhaust,new cat. Runs like a dream.
  • 2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Murfreesboro, TN, January 23, 2014 13:33
    Had 198,000 miles on my vehicle when the motor locked up. Had to purchase a new motor. My husband's 1994 Silverado has 300,000 on the original motor..... what went wrong with the Suburban that I thought would last me forever. Instrument cluster is out.... not giving me any oil pressure readings, panel lights out and not showing proper gear on dash.
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, January 16, 2014 06:46
    The car is great to drive but is riddled with poor design and poor craftsmanship. Simple things such as cutting our fingers on the door handles because the plastic wrap peels creating sharp edges. Windows that don't open at all if below zero. Windshield wipers that don't spray. Dash board readout lights that die because of poor resister soldering. Stabilitrak that goes on and off. All these add up to a flaky car. Generally it's great to drive when things are working. But Chev produced a clunker that I'm paying to fix. The big big issue is the 2007 engine is known for burning oil, ring issues and problems. Chev worked on the engine at 60k miles at their cost. But it started smoking again later just out of warranty. Now, I just found out that I had a dead cylinder that then caused the engine to burn up. Rather pissed at the whole situation. I bought the suburban because it was supposed to run forever. turns out my Ford Escort was more dependable.
  • 2008 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Sultan, WA, October 15, 2013 20:46
    The car looks great. Many options. The engine is powerful. We've had electrical issues with it since the day we bought it. I've replaced the computer, all of the door locks. The cruise control hasn't worked in a year. I had to replace the alternator a year ago. One day the entire dashboard shut down, stayed off until I turned off and restarted the car. I've replaced both of the hub assemblies, was told this is a common failure. Need to replace the running light on the front right, but apparently you need to remove the tire to do so (according to the service manual). Today the oil pressure dropped to zero and I think I'm going to need to replace the oil pump, but I wouldn't doubt it if it was just the sending unit since everything else electrical has fried. Oh, and there's a leak in the fuel line. I've always purchased Chevys, but this one is truly a lemon. I'll never buy another Suburban. If this one was paid off I'd trade it in on a Toyota pickup, but until it is I'll have to keep shoveling money into it. 80k miles.
    Visitor, Capitol Heights, MD, September 07, 2013 18:28
    Ialso have a 1990 chevy suburban 4x4 an its nothing but the truth. I ve had it sence 2001 and it had 208,000 we drove it to south carolina twice, mich,ohio and ocean city and shes still kicking only replaced starter and tires so far Thank God. that should speak for itself. now in process of painting and restoring and just driving it on weekends
  • 1993 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Chevy Guy45, Littleton, CO, September 01, 2013 11:47
    I have a 1998 Chevy Suburban LT, K-1500 it has the 4L-60 trans, along with the ol reliable 5.7 350 engine. I bought it 4 years ago now. The body, and interior were BEA utiful. It had 175k when I bought it. The engine was tired, Trans was slipping a little, then it would shift hard. Would have to pull over turn off vehicle, wait a few minutes, and restart. It would be fine, for another 30 miles. 2 1/2 years now I've had ol Bessy. I have replaced the 350 engine with a 350, 350 horse out of my local Chevy dealer. The Transmission was replaced finally late in 2012. The motor only has 28,000 now, trans only has 6,000 now. The front end still needs to be redone, Differential, Tie Rods, Ball Joints, etc... I am looking to do this now, also would like to put a limited slip in the rear for now, then do front later. I'm not a 4 wheel person, just want that limited slip front, rear, if when needed. Then it will be time for Interior to be redone, and then Body few door dings, since people don't care if they slam open their door on your vehicle. Then Paint, back to stock, also replace factory Fiberglass running boards full length. I cannot seem to find replacement Running Boards. I have 3 dogs, two English Springer Spaniels, then one big St. Bernard, also a wife and a 9 year old. This is why I have to redo interior, kid, and dogs. I grew up in the 70's my Dad had several Chevy's, we had three Suburban's while I was growing up. I loved those Burbs. We had a 1973 Trailering Special, small block 400, 400 turbo Trans, we kept it until I left high school. Dad rebuilt motor when a teenager. We used to drive it to school 20 miles away. With 5 kids in it, it would just scream down the highway, smoke them off at lights if you wanted to. My wife now hated them, now since I have mine, she just loves it for the comfort, and convenience. I put a 3 inch cat back exhaust on from Gibson, made a Big Diff, in mileage, and power. Gained 1 M.P.G, all around, and power is so there now. Especially with that 350, 350. Chevy also gave me a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty on both engine, and trans. That's just so Awesome, you know it will last if they are doing that!!. After all my improvements, drivetrain, suspension rebuilds. I am thinking of putting a custom built 383 Stroker out of Chevy High Performance. Like maybe 400 horse to the tires. After it's all said, and done. It will only be used as a toy hauler, and for entertainment. Maybe a 3 inch lift after that. All I can say after all the Suburban's I have been around, you can't go wrong. It may need few things, but it will go another 200,000 grand, or more if taken care of properly!!. Someone asked about a 92, 93 Chevy what Transmission to put in. They come stock with the 700 R 4 Overdrive. The problems they had with those was the Overdrive would go out fairly quickly. In these days they can be redone, and be more reliable than ever. You can go with a 4L60 E, but would need computer, and harness. Also change driveline, would have to have one made. All depends on what you want to spend, and how much work you want to do. Chevy/G.M.C all the way!!. Ol Bessy. Littleton, Co. 9/13.
    desertrat2321, Austin, NV, August 20, 2013 13:43
    ONE TOUGH TRUCK. I bought the truck with 72,000 miles. I hauled kids all over the country for sports. About 10 years ago I put 1 ton springs under her and have been using her for hauling weight to and from Reno and Vegas. We live in the center of Nevada so she puts on about half her miles in the dirt in the mountains. I do regular mainenance, the largest item's that has ever failed has been the water pump and a/c compressor. Her 350 engine doesnt burn any oil between changes. Run's clean, sounds great and still gets 15mpg hwy. Her AL60E Trans has never given me a moments problem. I've been told I should think about changing the engine and tranny out soon but they both run so strong I just cant justify it, after all she only has 296,000 miles on her. I'm betting she will still be running strong at 400,000 miles, Do we have any takers?
    Visitor, Santa Maria, CA, March 18, 2013 10:49
    I've had very good luck with this automobile 180,000 miles and all I've have replaced "battery". Buy Chevy, great autos.
    Visitor, Mountain Home, AR, March 11, 2013 10:45
    4x4 LT model and I love it. We now have 64K on this vehicle and it still drives like new. Used in snow a couple of time in some very hilly country and it handled beautifully. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned with the fewest problems.
  • 1993 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Woodlake, CA, January 20, 2013 21:35
    my suburbans tranny went out and im having truoble finding which type to put in
    Keypon Trucking07, Hopewell Junction, NY, October 22, 2012 14:44
    Good solid truck great for group trips, home depot runs ect.LT model leather seats cruise nice sound system and 40 gal tank make long trips easy. Rough on gas around town not bad on highway. AC is ok on long runs but around town it takes a while to cool, Fact I love Suburbans 4th one, GREAT JOB GM 350 Rules
    Visitor, Sugar Land, TX, June 13, 2012 18:50
    I have owned my 2001 Suburban since it was new. It now has 146,000 miles on it. I have always kept the vehicle well maintained as I do with all of my vehicles. This Suburban has been a great vehicle to travel with. It has been driven across this country many times. It is a great on the highway. Now for the bad. The ABS brake module has been replaced 3 times. The rear tailgate window hinge has broken. You have to replace the entire window assembly to get the hinge. The A/C only blows cold enough while driving over 30 mph. If you are sitting in traffic it blows warm. The freon level is perfect and it has blown this way since new. Other than these issues it's a good truck. It is dependable and has never let me down.
    Visitor, Campbell, CA, January 15, 2012 21:35
    97 with 370000 miles, no problem did transmission at 260000
  • 1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Windsor, CT, January 03, 2012 10:20
    I bought this 1995 Suburban used with 75K. Have not too many major work other than the tranny rebuilt when it had about 160K. Only replaced the EGR valve, waterpump, plugs/wires, steering pump hoses. Other than normal replacements, brakes, shocks, tires, fluids. Had the engine compression and oil pressure checked and still within mfg specs. Engine still going strong after now nearly 257K on it.
    Visitor, Keithville, LA, December 01, 2011 06:26
    Probably one of the best vehicles still on the road.....that speaks for itself. How many of these newer SUVs will make it to the twenty year old status and still going strong. Although i rebuilt my motor and transmission at 150k, i used this "burb" for pulling my trailer and work related hauling. It is definitely a workhorse and well worth the money invested. Currently at 288k miles and still more powerful than any Ford that i have owned. LOL
  • 1992 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Des Moines, IA, November 23, 2011 14:56
    I purchased my 1992 Suburban off the show room floor, twenty years ago and still own it with 75k miles on it. It has made some long trips very loaded to northern Manitoba with no problems except I lost a fan coming back home once. No big deal. I love my suburban and still drive it everyday and it looks as good as it did twenty years ago.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, November 09, 2011 10:25
    This is the best truck i have ever owned, 1994 suburban with 190k on it. I bought the car with 179k and had to put a new tranny in it-- excpected. Iam going to keep driving it until it dies. I just drove it to Texas and back no problems.
    Visitor, Old Saybrook, CT, October 05, 2011 06:44
    i gave it away
    Visitor, Morrisville, PA, September 20, 2011 18:43
    My father had this truck in dark blue. Our family had taken this truck on road trips, scout trips, and anything else you can think of. It is as old as me: 13 years. All my memories had that truck somewhere in it. The mileage was 260,000. The Truck had just survived a hurricane when another pummeling downpour of rain came. The truck was in the repair shop at the time the Delaware river crested. There was nothing anyone could do to save it, because the river crested 14 hours early. All I can say is that the road couldn't kill it, it took an active God to. Anyway, the engine will NEVER let you down. The handling is select AWD and 2WD, and has better turning than many cars. The average mpg was about 20. Buy this truck, I'm planning on another being my first, and hopefully only car. These can make it to one-million miles, and my goal is to get one there
  • 2006 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Ogdensburg, NY, August 13, 2011 11:48
    '06 4X4 purchased new. Had tranny rebuilt in '09 at ~75K miles. Just had the front half shafts (drive shafts) replaced at 105K miles. Replaced 4X4 selector switch in '10. It just started putting the transfer case in neutral with 2Hi selected, workaround is to keep it in Auto...going to replace the switch again. Just replaced the plugs (2nd set) and plug wires to clear up an intermittant random misfire problem. Engine now purrs like new again. I've run AmsOil in it since new. I ignore the change oil warning system and just change oil and filter 2/year and have oil analyzed...no issues reported from lab yet. Overall great large family vehicle which gets good mileage for something so large--19 Hwy!
    Visitor, Warren, MI, August 10, 2011 06:12
    I bought my 1999 burb new and have 285,000 miles on it now. best vehicle I've ever owned. Gonna buy another one.
    Visitor, Kiron, IA, July 17, 2011 00:44
    Have a 2007 Burb, just rolled over 100K, still looks like new. The wife still drive the 02 tahoe to work, and with 248K on it, with no engine, tranny work done. Very happy with the Burb and hope to get 250K out of it.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, July 09, 2011 07:09
    Great truck
    Visitor, Joplin, MO, July 01, 2011 06:38
    I have a 1997 suburban and I love it. Compare the gas mileage to a smaller suv with no room and it meets or beats it. We have 300,000 miles on it and are heading to Alaska this summer. Rear air has been a problem, but we will cope.
    Visitor, Macon, GA, June 14, 2011 12:15
    I have had my suburan for 5 years and i have nothing bad to say about it the only trouble i have had is out of the tramission at 80,000 miles other than that brakes,oil changes, and we bought a battery, great truck and i bought it at 62,000 miles it has 140,000 on it now we are getting a new one
  • 2004 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Traverse City, MI, January 01, 2011 19:59
    Have had this Z71 'burb since 2009 (and 64,000 miles) with very little problems in 30,000 miles. I am looking into a possible bad left rear shock and something just began causing the fuel and ammeter to peg out occasionally. Runs great, good power, fair gas mileage.
  • 1998 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    pbell35, West Hartford, CT, December 24, 2010 05:03
    We have had the car for 12 years. It had been my work vehicle for 5 years and then retired to be the family "bus". Having three children always meant that they brought 3 friends, therefore 8 seats was a necessity. In comparison to the 2500, the brakes are small and we have replaced them every 30,000km. The front shock absorbers are also small and cannot be fitted with anything larger. We did convert the car to LPG to try and save fuel. The chassis was large enough to suspend the LPG tank underneath the body, however, the LPG system was prone to failure and we do not use it. The car is actually frugal on fuel. The rear lights have been a problem, the front differential has been replaced and the drivers external door handle had to be replaced. We do intend to buy a new one soon and pass this one over to our daughter who has adored it.
  • 2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, New Paltz, NY, December 18, 2010 05:44
    I have a 2005 Suburban 1500 -4 WD and I have never done any major work on it . We love this car, and right now it has 185,000 miles and it runs very good. It does have a rattle noise in the exhaust ( muffler), and the front blower for the heat and ac is not currently working steady, other than that it is great, I would buy another one.
    Northen Todd, Apache Junction, AZ, November 24, 2010 23:25
    Well...what to say about the Suburban. Don't buy one without the extended warranty. New transmission at 70,000km, then seals had to be done again at 138,000km. Front suspension parts replaced twice under warranty. Electrical problems at 60,000km resulting in a new battery and ignition relay. HVAC blower would not shut off..requiring a new solenoid. Pinging and popping noises from exhaust. Oil gauge sending unit replaced. Fuel gauge sending unit replaced. Spark plugs and wires. 02 Sensor problem. Faulty wiring harness for trailer towing. Third row seatbelts replaced. Front and rear brakes and rotors at 140,000km, and a check engine light that is constantly illuminating! However, until recently it was the only vehicle that could comfortably fit a family of five and pull a trailer. Likely will try Toyota next.
    Screamin Steven, Eagle, ID, September 13, 2010 10:13
    First suburban we've owned. Had it for over 100,000 miles. Fuel pump went out, but it was a recall item. Alternator went out at 165,00 miles; easy fix. I guess they don't last forever. Had a problem with the rear differential, cost $1500, but still cheaper than a buying a new car. Overall runs well; best for short road trips. Would buy another one. Great for big families.
    Visitor, Laurel, DE, September 01, 2010 17:13
    I've had my suburban for about five years now. This is a great vehical. It's now pushing 230,000 miles and has had no major repairs. Orig engine and trans and purrs like a kitten. If you take care of it, this American made machine will run forever
  • 1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Simpsonville, SC, August 24, 2010 14:36
    Built like a freakin tank!!!!
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, July 07, 2010 10:40
    great truck but cracked a head found two for 180 guna put them on and shell run like new
  • 1991 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Millbrook, AL, June 09, 2010 13:35
    I have owned a 2500 with 454 since 1994 it has been a great vehicle with lots of towing power still looks great, drives great . I has been a family vehicle taken kids to camp, college, and much more' At 172 k I hate to part with it but is up for sale
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, June 06, 2010 13:56
    I Have A 90 Chev Suburban And That Damn Thing Is An Iron Horse!! I Love My Suburban And Will Always Buy American. She Is 20 Years Young With A Rebuilt 350 And Trans, Body Has 185k On It But Looks Like It Was Built Yesterday. Like A ROCK Baby!!!!
    Visitor, Hayden, ID, May 24, 2010 12:08
    Great Truck! It's my first car and i'll try my hardest i keep it forever!
  • 1991 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Visitor, Montgomery, AL, May 14, 2010 20:03
    truck runs great my dad bought it in 1991 brand new and gave it to me in 04 in mint condition and seem to have blown the high gears in the trans from towing at high speeds but a guys gonna rebuild it for 650........ sweet home alabama
    Visitor, East Palestine, OH, April 20, 2010 09:35
    I have a 2003 Chevy Suburban Z71. It has been nothing but head aches since I purchased it 2 years ago. First the factory amplifier for the rear speakers went out, then the rear air conditioning stopped working, next the air vents up front stopped working (you could not change between defrost, floor, or vent..etc.) then the anti lock brake controller died and I have had constant brake issues ever since. this vehicle has been the worst I have owned.
    Visitor, Columbiana, OH, April 06, 2010 19:15
    This is our second Suburban and we really love them. The only problem we have is that the more recently made ones are a lot smaller than they used to be. We owned a 1986 and LOVED it. It was very spacious. Great for a large family.
    Visitor, Davenport, IA, March 25, 2010 10:00
    great truck smooth,quiet and dependable this is my 3rd suburban sold the first 2 at 200k+ still ran great. 48k to go on this one. BUY AMERICAN SUPPORT THIS COUNTRY
    bizwick, Phoenix, AZ, March 12, 2010 08:02
    2003 Suburban...A great vehicle. Only problem in 82,000 miles has been a rear window regulator. Milage has been good, pulls my boat with ease. This is my second Suburban and I'd buy another.
    Mommaof6boys, Broken Arrow, OK, March 03, 2010 05:19
    I love my truck..however in the 6 months we have had it. We have had the brakes and rotors changed (normal wear and tear), then we took it in because it was shimming, come to find out it is the steering box, and also found out the intake manifold is leaking...good news is after getting those fixed should be back to good as new:).
  • 2000 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    fritz2741, Corona, CA, March 02, 2010 19:26
    Great car for the family. Repairs are reasonable and expected.
    Toriw, Belen, NM, March 01, 2010 00:36
    As a mother of 3 children, I have to say that my suburban has been wonderful!! All the kids got a window seat, there is always plenty of room for carseats, as well as extra passengers. I have over 285,000 miles on my suburban and my kids since have moved out. You would think I woukd downsize, but I can't image being without my suburban!! This truck has never let me down or stranded. Steller vehicle!!
  • 2008 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    Walker08, Rogers, AR, February 12, 2010 19:28
    2008 Z71 been in shop 3 times since January 1. First time they said was bad gas. Second had to replace entire computer in truck. This Wed it died again. This time they say it is throttle problema dn they cannot find a part anywhere in country to fix it. Gonna be out a week or more. Please run like hell if you are thinking of buying on of these lemons!!!
  • 1996 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    huntjaiyen, Yoakum, TX, January 26, 2010 19:05
    My 96 Suburban 4x4 has been the most dependable vehicle I've ever owned. While it is comfortable and a joy to drive, it has pulled a diesel F-350 truck and dump trailer up a dirt hill the ford couldn't make. (the ford didn't have 4x4) I have one problem though, the daylight driving lights quit working. The indicator shows they're on, but they're off. How do I fix them?
    cache, Madison, WI, December 17, 2009 08:20
    Good vehicle
    MIKE DENT, Ocean City, MD, November 15, 2009 08:44
    LOVE THIS TRUCK
    BRAD_IN_FAIRFAX, Fairfax, VA, October 12, 2009 13:28
    My truck has been very dependable and versatile, whether taking my family of six on a 2000 mile road trip or hauling loads of sheetrock and yard debris. Trim seems to hold together, except the color coating on my dashboard is peeling off -- revealing its true color, black. Paint has stayed true. Suspension handles well on and off road. It's a nice tough truck.
  • 1992 Chevrolet Suburban 1500
    4wheeler, Emeryville, CA, January 02, 2009 14:57
     Technician
    My old Suburban was a tank! It handled surprisingly well for being so large, but I wish the brakes were a little stronger like the newer trucks have. The chevy 350 got me there and back with minimal fuss. I had to replace the HEI module once but thats all for the engine. The stock stereo died on me and the cruise control failed so I had to ding electrical. The seats were quite comfortable for long drives to the snow.
    fernando, Alameda, CA, December 08, 2008 21:42
    Great car to drive in the snow, very comfortable driving on highway and mountain roads.