Chevrolet Suburban 1500 Reviews

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 Reviews and Owner Comments

I love my Suburban!!!! She has been faithful and flawless for the 11 yrs and 100,000 miles I have put her through. My kids have grown and I no longer need to pull the 4 place snow machine trailer, horse trailer or boat. I am going to sell her and I will miss her. She has been through a lot with me and has been j. part of the family.
I traded in our 03 Yukon for this 07 Burb LTZ - wanted the navigation and onstar for the family, bought it from a local car store - this truck looks awesome - drives awesome and gets great mileage on a tank. I picked up the truck for a good price and since the Yukon never let me down I figured these new GMs would be just as good... well I have to say there are some tacky design areas - internal door handles are chrome plastic - peeling causes scalpel like shards that can cut you - I filed most of this off with the wife's nail board. Right now its suffering from a broken oil switch - bad grounding or bad transfer case servo motor/encoder. So I know when you buy second user you buy someone else's problems.. I get that, but I just cant help but think the old Yukon was a much better truck than this one... In addition I have replaced the Brake Pedal switch (stops cruse from working). Stripped and cleaned the throttle body. Reworked the heating buttons with new transfers as they were worn bad. Repaired the heated Rear window spade connector - it had fell off. Updated the Nav software to 2013 from 2008.... and I will end up replacing the oil pressure switch which is a bummer to get to.. and then attempt the 4 WD repair. In 3 months I have bought more, fixed more and had more problems than my old Yukon, but I'm so far into this truck now I dont think I can stop... I just hope it doesnt develop any upper engine issues I hear so much about... it actually runs very well as I believe it was dealer serviced up until the time I purchased it. But you know what I still love my Burb - she's my high maintenance "Bit on the Side" according to my wife.
2007 Suburban LS. Its the 9-seater (has 9 seatbelts) although we never use the front middle bench.. pretty cramp. Anyway.. bought this in November 2006.. and in January 2007.. the first snow fall in my town in New Jersey.. the car would not engage in 4 wheel drive. Annoying.. but went to the dealer, and it was covered under warranty, had to have what they called an actuator replaced. Right then, I thought oh boy.. this is going to be a lemon... but surprisingly we drove it back and forth from NJ to Florida perhaps 6 times... NJ to the Carolina's.. to Lake Placid.. to Montreal.. and basically a great comfortable ride with the long wheel base and comfy seats for the family of 5 we have, and plenty of cargo space for luggage, boogie boards, ski's and what have you. Love the truck.. then almost exactly 7 years from the day we bought it.. had it serviced, a major one.. costing like $1k.. tune up... oil.. 4wd checked...and transfer case serviced, etc. I told my wife, that we should consider trading it in.. as the new Suburban model was coming out. Rather, we decided that we get another SUV.. and traded in her Honda Accord for a 2014 Durango R/T with AWD. We figure .. just in case, we have a back up SUV we use the 2007 Suburban for only long haul travel. Sure enough, on the way to Clearwater Florida in August 2014, a check engine light went on.. and $866 service from Dimmit Chevrolet (during vacation), to clean up oil build up which prevent oil circulating to the top of the engine.. mentioned a second clogged oil filter there was just clogged... then on the way home.. in Jacksonville, car would no longer go past 50 mph, engine light back on... we simply shlepped slowly back north and at Paramus Chevrolet, had $1,800 to fix.. timing chain stretched, and chain tensioner broke.. which needed replacing... Thinking all is well.. on day before Thanksgiving, it made it to Montreal Canada with 4wd working flawlessly in a huge snowstorm in the east.. no problems.. feeling smug again.. then on the first week of January.. got a "service air bag" sensor light go on.. and on a day of about 3 inches of snow.. the 4wd would not engage again... scheduled an appointment for Jan 19th but never made it.. on the way home Jan 10th from Red Bank NJ... the transmission started slipping and just died. Stuck at the Gardenstate Parkway at 2am... had the Suburban towed to the nearest Chevy dealer.. Circle Chev in Shrewsbury, NJ. well its Jan 24th, picked it up lastnight, the bill . $4,328. New tranny, front sensor for air bag behind bumper replaced.. had the front brake pads and rotors done.. another replaced Tcase actuator for the 4wd done (the car's 3rd one !.. I only used 4wd perhaps a dozen times in its life!)... so here I am today. Car runs great again... I love the ride.. the cargo is awesome, more than the newer Suburban model.. more than the new Expedition EL too. Perhaps this is it..should I keep it.. I'm already about $8k is service fees in past 14 months.. no more worries ? or not. Suburban has 81,400 miles.
My 2007 had the rear differential go out 2 weeks after the 5 year build date. After 3 letters Chevy paid half. My dealer guaranteed for 23 months and 13,000. died after 13 months and 20,000. MY PROBLEM. Love the car but think I have a lemon. My Tahoe died at 136,000 and this turkey is 118,000 and is leaking again. I have a Ford in my future.
We have owned a 2003 Chevy Suburban with 130,000 miles and have continued to enjoy this vehicle. I do understand that if you maintain it, the engine can last for a long time. I actually sold my Toyota Sequoia because it had nothing but transmission and electrical issues. The Suburban seemed to accommodate my family better and had more room including better ride comfort. I do want others to know that the Transfer Case for these vehicles will tend to make a small hole causing a leak and this will be costly. Also, with these many miles, I am ready for a rear main seal and front driveline output shaft seal, but lucky for us we have someone that can help in repairing this project. Again, there are no perfect vehicles and not everyone will have a non-issue suv but if you do, great! if you don't, find something that would work for you and your family. So far, we are really enjoying this suv and what it has to offer.
i have had mine just over a year now, the only problems i have had is a flat tire, fuel pump went out, changed brakes. other then that she runs perfect couldn't ask for a better car.
Bought used from private party. It started, didn't smoke, had a CA smog cert. U-joint was bad, vibrated all the way home. Since then,tune-up,tires,exhaust,new cat. Runs like a dream.
Had 198,000 miles on my vehicle when the motor locked up. Had to purchase a new motor. My husband's 1994 Silverado has 300,000 on the original motor..... what went wrong with the Suburban that I thought would last me forever. Instrument cluster is out.... not giving me any oil pressure readings, panel lights out and not showing proper gear on dash.
The car is great to drive but is riddled with poor design and poor craftsmanship. Simple things such as cutting our fingers on the door handles because the plastic wrap peels creating sharp edges. Windows that don't open at all if below zero. Windshield wipers that don't spray. Dash board readout lights that die because of poor resister soldering. Stabilitrak that goes on and off. All these add up to a flaky car. Generally it's great to drive when things are working. But Chev produced a clunker that I'm paying to fix. The big big issue is the 2007 engine is known for burning oil, ring issues and problems. Chev worked on the engine at 60k miles at their cost. But it started smoking again later just out of warranty. Now, I just found out that I had a dead cylinder that then caused the engine to burn up. Rather pissed at the whole situation. I bought the suburban because it was supposed to run forever. turns out my Ford Escort was more dependable.
The car looks great. Many options. The engine is powerful. We've had electrical issues with it since the day we bought it. I've replaced the computer, all of the door locks. The cruise control hasn't worked in a year. I had to replace the alternator a year ago. One day the entire dashboard shut down, stayed off until I turned off and restarted the car. I've replaced both of the hub assemblies, was told this is a common failure. Need to replace the running light on the front right, but apparently you need to remove the tire to do so (according to the service manual). Today the oil pressure dropped to zero and I think I'm going to need to replace the oil pump, but I wouldn't doubt it if it was just the sending unit since everything else electrical has fried. Oh, and there's a leak in the fuel line. I've always purchased Chevys, but this one is truly a lemon. I'll never buy another Suburban. If this one was paid off I'd trade it in on a Toyota pickup, but until it is I'll have to keep shoveling money into it. 80k miles.
Ialso have a 1990 chevy suburban 4x4 an its nothing but the truth. I ve had it sence 2001 and it had 208,000 we drove it to south carolina twice, mich,ohio and ocean city and shes still kicking only replaced starter and tires so far Thank God. that should speak for itself. now in process of painting and restoring and just driving it on weekends
I have a 1998 Chevy Suburban LT, K-1500 it has the 4L-60 trans, along with the ol reliable 5.7 350 engine. I bought it 4 years ago now. The body, and interior were BEA utiful. It had 175k when I bought it. The engine was tired, Trans was slipping a little, then it would shift hard. Would have to pull over turn off vehicle, wait a few minutes, and restart. It would be fine, for another 30 miles. 2 1/2 years now I've had ol Bessy. I have replaced the 350 engine with a 350, 350 horse out of my local Chevy dealer. The Transmission was replaced finally late in 2012. The motor only has 28,000 now, trans only has 6,000 now. The front end still needs to be redone, Differential, Tie Rods, Ball Joints, etc... I am looking to do this now, also would like to put a limited slip in the rear for now, then do front later. I'm not a 4 wheel person, just want that limited slip front, rear, if when needed. Then it will be time for Interior to be redone, and then Body few door dings, since people don't care if they slam open their door on your vehicle. Then Paint, back to stock, also replace factory Fiberglass running boards full length. I cannot seem to find replacement Running Boards. I have 3 dogs, two English Springer Spaniels, then one big St. Bernard, also a wife and a 9 year old. This is why I have to redo interior, kid, and dogs. I grew up in the 70's my Dad had several Chevy's, we had three Suburban's while I was growing up. I loved those Burbs. We had a 1973 Trailering Special, small block 400, 400 turbo Trans, we kept it until I left high school. Dad rebuilt motor when a teenager. We used to drive it to school 20 miles away. With 5 kids in it, it would just scream down the highway, smoke them off at lights if you wanted to. My wife now hated them, now since I have mine, she just loves it for the comfort, and convenience. I put a 3 inch cat back exhaust on from Gibson, made a Big Diff, in mileage, and power. Gained 1 M.P.G, all around, and power is so there now. Especially with that 350, 350. Chevy also gave me a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty on both engine, and trans. That's just so Awesome, you know it will last if they are doing that!!. After all my improvements, drivetrain, suspension rebuilds. I am thinking of putting a custom built 383 Stroker out of Chevy High Performance. Like maybe 400 horse to the tires. After it's all said, and done. It will only be used as a toy hauler, and for entertainment. Maybe a 3 inch lift after that. All I can say after all the Suburban's I have been around, you can't go wrong. It may need few things, but it will go another 200,000 grand, or more if taken care of properly!!. Someone asked about a 92, 93 Chevy what Transmission to put in. They come stock with the 700 R 4 Overdrive. The problems they had with those was the Overdrive would go out fairly quickly. In these days they can be redone, and be more reliable than ever. You can go with a 4L60 E, but would need computer, and harness. Also change driveline, would have to have one made. All depends on what you want to spend, and how much work you want to do. Chevy/G.M.C all the way!!. Ol Bessy. Littleton, Co. 9/13.
ONE TOUGH TRUCK. I bought the truck with 72,000 miles. I hauled kids all over the country for sports. About 10 years ago I put 1 ton springs under her and have been using her for hauling weight to and from Reno and Vegas. We live in the center of Nevada so she puts on about half her miles in the dirt in the mountains. I do regular mainenance, the largest item's that has ever failed has been the water pump and a/c compressor. Her 350 engine doesnt burn any oil between changes. Run's clean, sounds great and still gets 15mpg hwy. Her AL60E Trans has never given me a moments problem. I've been told I should think about changing the engine and tranny out soon but they both run so strong I just cant justify it, after all she only has 296,000 miles on her. I'm betting she will still be running strong at 400,000 miles, Do we have any takers?
I've had very good luck with this automobile 180,000 miles and all I've have replaced "battery". Buy Chevy, great autos.
4x4 LT model and I love it. We now have 64K on this vehicle and it still drives like new. Used in snow a couple of time in some very hilly country and it handled beautifully. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned with the fewest problems.
my suburbans tranny went out and im having truoble finding which type to put in
Good solid truck great for group trips, home depot runs ect.LT model leather seats cruise nice sound system and 40 gal tank make long trips easy. Rough on gas around town not bad on highway. AC is ok on long runs but around town it takes a while to cool, Fact I love Suburbans 4th one, GREAT JOB GM 350 Rules
I have owned my 2001 Suburban since it was new. It now has 146,000 miles on it. I have always kept the vehicle well maintained as I do with all of my vehicles. This Suburban has been a great vehicle to travel with. It has been driven across this country many times. It is a great on the highway. Now for the bad. The ABS brake module has been replaced 3 times. The rear tailgate window hinge has broken. You have to replace the entire window assembly to get the hinge. The A/C only blows cold enough while driving over 30 mph. If you are sitting in traffic it blows warm. The freon level is perfect and it has blown this way since new. Other than these issues it's a good truck. It is dependable and has never let me down.
97 with 370000 miles, no problem did transmission at 260000
I bought this 1995 Suburban used with 75K. Have not too many major work other than the tranny rebuilt when it had about 160K. Only replaced the EGR valve, waterpump, plugs/wires, steering pump hoses. Other than normal replacements, brakes, shocks, tires, fluids. Had the engine compression and oil pressure checked and still within mfg specs. Engine still going strong after now nearly 257K on it.
Probably one of the best vehicles still on the road.....that speaks for itself. How many of these newer SUVs will make it to the twenty year old status and still going strong. Although i rebuilt my motor and transmission at 150k, i used this "burb" for pulling my trailer and work related hauling. It is definitely a workhorse and well worth the money invested. Currently at 288k miles and still more powerful than any Ford that i have owned. LOL
I purchased my 1992 Suburban off the show room floor, twenty years ago and still own it with 75k miles on it. It has made some long trips very loaded to northern Manitoba with no problems except I lost a fan coming back home once. No big deal. I love my suburban and still drive it everyday and it looks as good as it did twenty years ago.
This is the best truck i have ever owned, 1994 suburban with 190k on it. I bought the car with 179k and had to put a new tranny in it-- excpected. Iam going to keep driving it until it dies. I just drove it to Texas and back no problems.
i gave it away
My father had this truck in dark blue. Our family had taken this truck on road trips, scout trips, and anything else you can think of. It is as old as me: 13 years. All my memories had that truck somewhere in it. The mileage was 260,000. The Truck had just survived a hurricane when another pummeling downpour of rain came. The truck was in the repair shop at the time the Delaware river crested. There was nothing anyone could do to save it, because the river crested 14 hours early. All I can say is that the road couldn't kill it, it took an active God to. Anyway, the engine will NEVER let you down. The handling is select AWD and 2WD, and has better turning than many cars. The average mpg was about 20. Buy this truck, I'm planning on another being my first, and hopefully only car. These can make it to one-million miles, and my goal is to get one there
'06 4X4 purchased new. Had tranny rebuilt in '09 at ~75K miles. Just had the front half shafts (drive shafts) replaced at 105K miles. Replaced 4X4 selector switch in '10. It just started putting the transfer case in neutral with 2Hi selected, workaround is to keep it in Auto...going to replace the switch again. Just replaced the plugs (2nd set) and plug wires to clear up an intermittant random misfire problem. Engine now purrs like new again. I've run AmsOil in it since new. I ignore the change oil warning system and just change oil and filter 2/year and have oil analyzed...no issues reported from lab yet. Overall great large family vehicle which gets good mileage for something so large--19 Hwy!
I bought my 1999 burb new and have 285,000 miles on it now. best vehicle I've ever owned. Gonna buy another one.
Have a 2007 Burb, just rolled over 100K, still looks like new. The wife still drive the 02 tahoe to work, and with 248K on it, with no engine, tranny work done. Very happy with the Burb and hope to get 250K out of it.
Great truck
I have a 1997 suburban and I love it. Compare the gas mileage to a smaller suv with no room and it meets or beats it. We have 300,000 miles on it and are heading to Alaska this summer. Rear air has been a problem, but we will cope.