Reviews for Chevrolet S10 years:

Chevrolet S10 Reviews and Owner Comments

Chevrolet S10Owner Reviews (33 reviews)
    Visitor, Montverde, FL, January 24, 2014 06:05
    Purchased this truck in Dec. 1999. Not long after, when attempting to recline the passenger seat, the handle broke, but not in a normal place, in the MIDDLE of the rod. I was injured, barely able to function & less than 100 lbs so it is not like I "man-handled" it. A couple of years later, the same thing happened to the driver's side. I have replaced the handle on the 3rd door probably 8-10 times. The last time, I purchased an aftermarket handle on ebay. We will see how this one holds up. There have been many small electrical issues that add up. This was my first Chevy & will probably be my last. Chevy dealer in Clermont is not at all helpful. My air bag light has been on for probably 7-10 years. TAKE TO A DEALER IMMEDIATELY says the owner's manual. Had the truck in the service department for a recall. Techs were in & out, driving the vehicle. Can't be too urgent since not a word was said to me about it. I have run service departments & my techs would have at least pointed it out... A/C hasn't worked for probably 10 years...
  • 1990 Chevrolet S10
    Visitor, Indian Trail, NC, January 05, 2014 20:32
    About the Windshield wiper intermittent problem: I have a 1994, same problem when I got it. I pulled apart the little motor [that mounts under the hood on the back wall, about middle of cab, a challenge to get at, but worked!] and applied clean and more grease inside the housing...it stopped the problem! [Rated all 4's just because - but I luv my 1994 4cyl S-10!]
    Visitor, Elka Park, NY, September 02, 2013 09:03
    HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM .WHEN I START MY TRUCK UPON TAKEOFF THETRUCK WON,T MOVE MORE THAN 5MILES AN HOUR ,TAKE A LONG TIME TO BUILD SPEED AND SHAKES UNCONTROLABLY.
  • 2004 Chevrolet S10
    Visitor, Lake Stevens, WA, January 21, 2013 23:46
    1986, 2.8Lv6, Extended Cab, 4x4, I picked this truck up for free a few years back, replaced intake with a bored out 40mm and put a Holly TBI on it, mileage still sucks, but this thing can go through snow like a tank. Removed the vac 4x4 engagement and put a mechanical cable, new head gaskets, new radiator, new water pump, lots of electrical issues. Make sure your handy with a ohm meter. Currently hunting down a short in the parking light circuit, somewhere behind the dash. Out where I am, after 25 years you don't have to smog the vehicle, so I have removed the smog pump, egr and cat. lots of power for a 2.8 and tons of parts (cheap) up gradeable to v8!! great truck for someone who like to tinker.
  • 1991 Chevrolet S10
    Visitor, Grand Junction, MI, January 21, 2013 23:21
    i just got this truck from a guy and he said that everything has been done to this truck including ANTI FREEZE put in and now my truck is steaming and i am lost because it is only 5 deg in michigan right now and it should not be steaming or leaking at all
    Visitor, Chicago Ridge, IL, January 18, 2013 17:06
    i have a 2001` chevy s10 4.3 L pick up i hear some rattling from engine on acceleration first second i need help
  • 1990 Chevrolet S10
    Visitor, Pocatello, ID, December 23, 2012 15:47
    windshield +wipers stopped working in intermediate but work on continual mode fast. when turn off do not stop in park position. Is there more than one fuse for wipers and is so where?
    Visitor, Tallahassee, FL, December 01, 2012 05:47
    I purchased my 1993 S-10 in 1997 with 50K on the odometer. I currently have 293,000 miles on it and it still runs great. I use this vehicle as my travel vehicle as well as a hauling truck for lawn soil, garden mulch and junk. The truck will be 20 years old on 03/23/13 and I intend to keep making the minor repairs and some major ones that a truck of this age requires. I have had the transmission rebuilt and I had a used positraction rear end installed after the original rear end wore out. That new rear positraction rear end was a great improvement to this vehicle. I have to replace the heater core next as it just went out on me. I enjoy driving the truck it gets great gas mileage it looks good cleaned up and it is useful for all the things I need a small truck for. I have had offers by young guy who want to buy the truck but of course it is not for sale. It has come down to the point of who is going to last the longest, the truck or me.
    Visitor, Saint Petersburg, FL, November 30, 2012 10:45
    im changing a starter on a 1995 chevy s10 4 cyl do i need to drop the exhalst pipe
    Visitor, Long Island, VA, June 27, 2012 17:48
    Have a 2002 S10 2.2 4 cylinder.Is this a interferance or non interferance engine.Timing chain broke.
    VT700, Elkmont, AL, November 12, 2011 13:38
    2002 Chevrolet S10 Visitor, Roebuck, SC, August 11, 2011 17:00 I have a 2002 chevy S10 V6 vortex that will run when it wants to. Do not know what is wrong. It has new fuel pump, relay,battery but will run and cutoff and short time later will restart and maybe run 1/4 of a mile or it might decide to run 40 miles. It only does it when weather is real hot Check your Temp sensor on the drivers side head. Its either bad or the wire is loose or not connected.
    Visitor, Valdosta, GA, November 11, 2011 21:20
    i love this truck my second vehicle its a 93 auto with a 4.3 the only thing that makes me mad about it is ive had to basically take out the whole dash constantly replacing wires and dealing with shorts or a bad sending unit. but the engine on this mother is so reliable its worth the hassle and more. ive also had to replace muffler mass airflow sensor and heater core though. radiator is next on the list.
    Visitor, Drums, PA, October 05, 2011 18:04
    problems with head lights not coming on shorting out head lamp conectors. sometimes they work other times the dont. help please
    Visitor, Roebuck, SC, August 11, 2011 17:00
    Visitor, Sloan, IA, July 19, 2011 20:34
    Truck runs great
    Visitor, Slidell, LA, July 16, 2011 16:30
    trying to locate fuel tank pressure sensor it not getting gas but fuel pump is coming on n off
    Visitor, Garden City, MO, March 09, 2011 09:26
    My 2003 S10 Extended Cab is the perfect vehicle for me. It's a pleasure to drive. While I have had the oil pan gasket replaced twice (the last time they replaced the oil pan as well) it was at GM's expense. I'm currently dealing with a crackd flywheel. Even considering all that, I wouldn't trade it for anything with 4 wheels. Great ride, good gas mileage, quick response to the gas, easy parkability. Sweet.
    Visitor, Davidson, NC, March 07, 2011 12:20
    Reg Cab 2.8 5sp. Pro: 202,000 miles. Great running and driving truck. 100% reliable. Not one problem with engine/drive train in 18 years. Original clutch. Con: Red paint is a disaster. Has been since truck was 5 years old. Interior shredded after 7 years. AC leaks failure began at 7 years. Dash lights completely failed at 15 years.
  • 1998 Chevrolet S10
    Visitor, Hazel Green, AL, November 18, 2010 17:03
    I bought this truck as a simple working tool and transport. It has been twelve years now and it has done all I ever asked it to do. I have always been a Chevy man. When GM gets back to making more of these I'll buy another. I call it my little mule.
    richards903, Columbus, OH, November 14, 2010 14:25
    Both my father and I have S10s (mine an '03 and his an '88), some of the best and most reliable vehicles around.
    Visitor, Pacifica, CA, September 27, 2010 14:59
    1995 Chevy S10...Love, love, love my little truck. BUT, if I need to get anything done to the engine, it is a major undertaking. I had an oil leak and the mechanic told me it was the oil pan gasket. The engine needs to be pulled out to do this job. That is a ten hour job! At mechanics prices, it's cheaper to buy oil for the next five years to replaces what leaks. ( The oil leaks ended up only being a loose oil filter, but I paniced when I found out what it needs done to fix the gasket!)
    ewlett, Norfolk, VA, September 12, 2010 06:52
    I've had the 1993 S10 with a 4.3L engine for 6 years. It is dependable, easy to work on and the cost of parts is reasonable.
    Visitor, Hackettstown, NJ, September 09, 2010 23:17
    i have had my 93 s10 for a year now and it is a nice little truck the motor is solid has plenty of go the only problem i have is its not posi
    Visitor, Athens, GA, August 12, 2010 12:04
    Have had my S10 extra cab since new in '01 and overall has been very dependable and good vehicle. I have the 4.3L and gets pretty decent gas mileage, has a good ride and i have abused it regularly with payloads of 1800-2000 lbs and towed up to 3500 once and never once did it complain or grunt. My only complaint is a faulty secondary emissions sensor that failed twice and when it goes out the check engine light comes on. The replacement sensor is $380 last time i replaced it and that was four years ago. I wish they would bring the S10 back as well.
    Visitor, Eureka, IL, July 12, 2010 06:26
    over all i guess its an ok truck other than the lack of gas millage the 4.3 dose not get good mpg less than a full size z71 the fuel pumps are junk and expect to replace them every other year and at 600 for a gm replacement it gets a bit old over all i give the truck a 5/10 its poor off road and on road parts cost alot to replace and dont get good mpg ups the 4.3 runs forever if you dont abuse it and change the oil
    vinooforreal, Hollywood, FL, June 01, 2010 00:23
    VERY GOOD VEHICLE. WHY DID THEY DISCONTINUE IT? PLEASE PETITION TO BRING BACK THE S10
  • 1994 Chevrolet S10
    Visitor, Lawrenceville, GA, March 28, 2010 16:01
    overall a good vehicle. really love my truck.
  • 1999 Chevrolet S10
    aka_willis1986, Columbus, IN, November 17, 2009 19:50
    The S10 I have is an Extreme Flareside. I have no complaints about this vehicle. It has a 2.2 4 cylinder so it has very good gas mileage. I don't like it being governed at 94 mph.
    wolfzr2, Tobyhanna, PA, November 09, 2009 12:20
    I HAVE A 2003 S10 zr2 Great little truck, 4.3 l engine is decent on gas and has good power. suspension is good except for the ball joints wearing out. Gm should have used better intake gaskets. antilock brakes not working due to wheel bearings going out. all these are common problems i have read about on other forums.
  • 1996 Chevrolet S10
    jaden, Fort Bragg, CA, October 28, 2009 23:25
    car gets doesn't get more then 25 mpg. ABS breaks arn't programmed correctly. 1st time I had to step on my breaks on wet road, pedal went to floor and had no breaks. Heard factory can reprogram computer but instead I pulled the fuse for abs. Now it works fine without.
  • 1992 Chevrolet S10
    toddb13, Saint Cloud, MN, September 16, 2009 09:12
    i like it
  • 1999 Chevrolet S10
    Darrel, Santa Cruz, CA, July 18, 2009 00:26
    Purchased my S10 with 118000 miles. It has a 4.2 liter vortech engine. It is one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Quiet, Very Dependable, lots of power. Most all of the creature comforts, quick starts, great features (tells you if you forget to turn off the turn signals), you can remove the key after parking the car and all the power options continue to work until you open a door. If you open the door with your key still in the ignition it warns you. The lights are completely automatic (daytime running lights are on in the daytime and switch to regular lights at dusk, turn off when you leave the car).
    fernando, Berkeley, CA, January 04, 2009 22:22
    Our S10 Pickup Extended Cab with 5-speed manual gearbox and the 2.2L 4-cylinder engine was cheap on gasoline, good little pickup to carry few tools and small load of materials to do small jobs. Both front ball joints replaced at around 85,000 miles. Trouble with the windshield wiper motor and the A/C compressor also went out.