Reviews for Chevrolet Monte Carlo years:

Chevrolet Monte Carlo Reviews and Owner Comments

Chevrolet Monte CarloOwner Reviews (47 reviews)
  • 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    Visitor, Midland, MI, June 02, 2014 11:16
    I bought this car 2 years ago with 86000. I have had to replace 2 wheel bearings, and 1 brake caliper. Only left me stranded once when the key would not work in the ignition. Towed it home, took out the switch, smacked it with a screw driver, and its worked ever since .LOL Great car, good gas mileage, and I look cool driving it.
    Visitor, Walhalla, ND, December 01, 2013 15:43
    1999 Bought used at 190k or so. Good car so far and have only had to replace thing's I already knew were worn out when I bought it. One wheel bearing and the battery. Changed oil using a good quality synthetic oil and filter and I hope to drive this good looking fire engine red MC for a long time. Hopefully trouble free as I've had other GM products and have had good luck with all of them so far.
    Visitor, Titusville, FL, July 11, 2013 06:29
    I am 75 years old and purchased this car new in 2006 with less than 100 miles. This is the best car I have owned. I have religiously changed the oil every 3,000 miles and now 74,000. I have travelled in Eastern US quite a bit. In seven years, I have had just normal maintenance. I love this car. It is awesome.
    Visitor, Richmond, VA, June 25, 2013 08:16
    I have a 2006 SS with 136,000. The car runs great, and everything, except the washer pump, still works as it should. It gets 21 around town, and 26 Highway. This is my second LT-4, and except for the tourqe steer when you get on them, they are a great bang for the buck, wish it was AWD. I've owned GT Mustangs also, but, they are strickly summertime cruisers, (we still have Winters were we are). Lately, mine has developed an front end squeak I can't get out of it. I replaced the brakes and rotors, I'm doing the wheel bearings next when I get the time. Overall, a great car!
  • 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    Visitor, Hartford, CT, June 05, 2013 08:14
    My 2007 Monte Carlo been sitting for 3-4 years now my engine light is on what can that be? Also my paint is bubbled and starting to chip
    Visitor, Potwin, KS, February 28, 2013 10:20
    the vehicle will not shift out of park into gear.
    Visitor, North Springfield, PA, February 23, 2013 20:08
    We have a 99 Monte Carlo have owned it since 2004. Second owner. we have had to replace the starter , the alternator ,transmission leak, gas tank replaced,duel muffler's twice. front wheel hub assembly (barring's),1 rear barring , caliper's twice , break pads 3 or 4 time's , replaced the rotor's twice. replaced the window motor on driver's door. and Now we need to replace 1 rear barring , rear strut mounts, gas leak at the spout, and tire's for the 4th time, and it has 236km's on it.. only has one rust hole on rear wheel well. Does anyone know how much strut mounts and rear wheel barring would cost to get fixed at a garage?. is it worth fixing? Don't think I'll buy another chev.
    Visitor, Melbourne, FL, November 02, 2012 12:49
    This 2001 Monte Carlo is the biggest piece of crap I have ever owned. I have spent thousands of dollars repairing this lemon. I've replaced the brain and too many parts to write about.And once again another problem. I can't even drive it to get groceries 2 miles away without it stalling and barely getting back to my driveway. I did find that most electrical parts are made in Canada and they don't use lead in their solder.Then you get things called whiskers that shorts out the Electrical parts. I'm an electrician by trade so I know about Electrical problems just not cars.I had 3 Nissans with 175,000 miles average and this Monte Carlo has cost me more than all 3 combined. It's a pretty car but a major piece of crap.
    rallan, Naperville, IL, June 07, 2012 07:01
    Car is a good driver and looker if you forgive the fact that I will be putting a 4th transmission in it @ 137,000 miles. I bought it used with 30k on the odometer. 1st trans went at 50k (Clutches), second at 80k (pump and clutchs), and now the finals are growling like a wounded dog. GM needs to do something about the crappy transmissions in these cars. I'm not the only one in my area with trans problems either. the shops I've been too all say that this particular trans that's also used in the Grand Prix and Impala is garbage.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, February 01, 2012 20:33
    I bought my 2001 monte carlo LS at 49,000 miles on it. Worked sooo good until about 100k miles when the manifold went out. I didnt even realize until now (100k miles) that none of the cigarette lighters worked. For some reason the place i bought it from said the entire engine needed to be replaced, so we replaced the engine with a new one with who knows how many miles. I dont even know if we needed it but i'm not a mechanic so i just trusted them and wasted around 1100 dollars. (McFerrin motors in Texas, i believe they are snakes) After they repaired that, the radio didnt get reception either, or just barely sometimes. Now at around 149k miles, there is a huge amount of electrical problems. 3 batteries and 1 new alternator later, it finally starts and drives again. The blinkers work whenever they want because of a faulty control unit which also works as the emergency light activator. The AC compressor doesnt stay on for more than 30 seconds because the engine falsely thinks that the engine coolant is low. I had the temp sensor on the engine replaced to fix the readdout on the instrument cluster, which is always at 0 degrees UNTIL i disconnect the battery for a while, then then the heat starts readin, the ac compressor turns back on and etc. Now it also has ABS issues. There is a loud noise when i start off from a halt but it stops when i take my foot off the gas pedal. After this happens a ton of lights come on, like ABS warning and etc. i didnt know it but when i got the car originally the radiator must have busted, or the person who owned it was trying to fix the manifold themselves by FILLING the radiator with stopleak, which caused the car to run very warm all the time until i replaced the radiator. None of the power locks work anymore. WTF. they stopped working at about 100k miles. The windows still go up and down, and also the trunk open button stopped working as well. This thing is an electrical nightmare. It did serve me very well for 60k miles, but was not worth the 12g's i spent on it. Slow, bad handling. The one thing it had going for it was amazing brakes. Really, sincerely amazing brakes. However now the ABS light comes on now when i start driving. I really, really hate this car. Not because its a chevy because i dig Chevy products, its because this one I ended up with was such a rotten lemon. I have put so much money into this and have gotten a barely decent, crappy radio sounding ride in return. If i could go back in time and warn myself not to buy it, I'd just tell myself "Lets look at a truck, instead. A ford truck." Tommorow some poor sap is coming to pay me 2000 for it, or he says he is. Lets wait until he test drives it. For the love of god let me sell this car. - Sincerely, Rick. P.S. When I turn the wheel it makes a cracky popping noise. I guess from what i read on the other reviews, an intermediate drive shaft? :/ god damn front wheel drive cars. Also turns out the type of radiator fluid that is in these cars becomes extra acidic under certain conditions and replacing the intake manifold gasket becomes neccessary on every single car after a while. There was even a class action lawsuit that provided people with x amount of money to repair it.
    prophetess7, Escondido, CA, December 19, 2011 19:48
    have 2004 chevy montecarlo with 18,000 orig miles. electrical panel keeps going nuts - the whole thing lights up. the speedometer does not always work. sometimes it registers 20 mph when I am actually doing around 60 mph. Anyone have any suggestions or similar problem?
    Visitor, Oklahoma City, OK, November 18, 2011 18:21
    I am the original and only owner of this car. I've replaced the battery 3 times, the alternator twice, the intake manifold gasket twice. It made the trip to Arizona from St. Louis when I moved in 2004. It made the trip to Oklahoma from Arizona when I moved in 2006. It has just under 100K miles. I think my fuel pump is starting to go out, as of today. Usually, it idles so smoothly at stop lights that I have to be sure it's still running. It always is. I hope to keep this car for many years to come. Go GM!!!
    Visitor, West Falls, NY, November 01, 2011 09:47
    I have an 2002 monte ss which I got brand new.I have had numerous problems with the car.Alot of the gm has no answer for.Within the first 2 years off have the car the electrical has gone haywire the lights flicker often,the turn signals work whenever,and my guages in my dash are all screwed up reading whatever.The paint on the car is awful.Within 3 years of having the car the paint was bubbling and chippin and also looked like it was rust from under the paint.I filed a claim with gm and the pretty much told theres nothing they can do since there was no rust holes.Ive had to replace wheel bearings numerous times,the traction control and abs lights are a permanent fixture on the dash.Ive had the oil pan replaceddue to rotting,the cat replaced and the resonator,intake manifold gaskets,and the fuel level sensor never quite worked right.Great looking car when i bought it just agrravating buying something new and having gm not stand behind there product.So i use to be a chevy but no longer.
    Visitor, Levittown, PA, September 11, 2011 18:58
    I have a 2003 monte ss and only have a couple of concerns one is the fuel gauge reads anything it wants to even after replacing the level unit in the tank for 127.50 an 1 hour of my time, ant he catalytic conertor failure (clogged) had no power replaced it and my car is as fast as it was previously which is quite impressive for a 3.8 litre engine and i get 33mpg @ 73mph because i measured this when driving from just outside philadelphia pa to las vegas nv in just 36 hous straight just stopping for gas (i did not sleep for the entire trip driving by myself )and a utah cop who just wanted to search my car beacuase i was from pa other than those 2 issues i love my car it the most comfortable car i have driven any where
    red96mustang, Sterling, VA, August 27, 2011 14:47
    2004 monte carlo ss, the headlights are staying on after the car is shut off
    Visitor, Amston, CT, August 04, 2011 15:17
    A great car, the official pace car monte carlo, but it has horrible electrical issues when u use left blinker and right the dash lights up like a christmas tree, track off light battery ;ight service traction light service engine light brake light. and also makes a buzzzing sound like a bee when in use.
    Visitor, West Memphis, AR, July 30, 2011 17:52
    i need help with my air hoses i dont know were they run to
    Visitor, Albion, IN, June 20, 2011 18:43
    wont start with the key.can cross it over but wont stay running
    Visitor, Deep Run, NC, May 24, 2011 13:24
    I own one it now has over a 150k miles on it and the ac compressor went out. But that is my fault for running the ac while pushing it past 140 mph. She still runs like a champ not the fastest nor the quickiest but still fun to drive.
    checkered, Marion, IA, February 22, 2011 19:38
    I just bought this car 2 weeks ago from my sister. The brake, ABS brake, low coolant, & check engine soon lights all came on while I was driving it home. Then within 3-4 days it produced a coolant leak. Whenever I would start the car, coolant poured out from the back side of the motor. Put coolant stop leak in and solved the problem for the moment. A day after the coolant leak started; it also produced an oil leak from back side of motor also. Oil stop leak did not work for this problem. I am a chick, so I only know the basic needs to know about cars. Need some advice please.
    drgiggles57, Wesley Chapel, FL, December 27, 2010 11:09
    Bought a 2004 Dale Jr. Monte Carlo SS with 25,000 miles on it. Nice car except the interior sucks. The dash curled up in the front, the emergency flasher switch fell into the dash and plastic pieces out, probably some our the mounting hardware. The headlight sockets keep burning up and when I went to check them a clip broke that holds the lamp in and I am being told I have to but the whole headlight assembly just to replace this teeny plastic ring. Now my headlighs are stuck in high beam mode and I can't change to low beam. My speedometer whacks out and says I am doing 70 when I am going around 30 and when I am sitting still, its reads 10 mph. I could go on but I am tired of typing. I will never buy another chevy again.
  • 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    Visitor, Jasper, AL, December 27, 2010 08:56
    bought this car with 27000 miles on it about 4 and half years ago now has 44000 miles on it no trouble what so ever everything still works and runs great!!
    Visitor, La Habra, CA, December 11, 2010 05:51
    Bought this car used at 22,000 miles. Owned it for 11 years now. Great engine & trans. The rest of car plastic crap! Plastic gear in sun roof failed, GM replaced 4 faulty turn sig. switches under warr. A/C compressor shaft seal failed just after 50K warr. ended. Plastic console hinge broke twice, Leather seats paper thin, failed & roted. Carpet bald from floormat! Clearcoat on bumpers, rear spoiler & roof failed. Car garage kept all it'sd life. No wonder GM cant sell cars!
    dogzma, Seneca Falls, NY, November 27, 2010 13:31
    My Monte has put up with a lot. I am not the easiest on cars and she still purrs like the day I drove her off the lot.
    shawn000303, Pilgrim, KY, November 27, 2010 13:31
    purchased car used at 158,000 have put 42,000 on it to date.my 1st issue was that the car was overheating at red lights in stop and go traffic,thus the cooling fans were not functioning.shop told me it was the cooling sensor,replaced and no change,shop then said cooling system needed flushed,guess what no change,then said it had to be fan relays,replaced all three, no change,shop said only 1 more option it could be,replace the bcm(body control module) $200.00 for unit,$100.00 to program. fans know work but will not go off,on all the time,even when you turn car off.did some internet searching and found someone with same issues,told me to change thermostat and all my cooling problems will go away,replaced it and guess what,fixed everything!next issue,car is losing power badly,shop says tune up,did this no change.shop says replace coil packs.did this no change,checked internet found these cars have catalitic converter issues,replaced and car now has more power than when i got it!3rd issue car's traction control lights come on when it rains and after i wash it,has progressed to on all the time now.checked internet found wheel speed sensors wire harness's are faulty.4th service tech found bad oil leak on back of motor,losing 2 qts per 3,000 miles.some kind of o-ring gasket on a cap on engine.5 clunking noise in steering,faulty shaft.
    talk2moi2, Cedar Rapids, IA, November 27, 2010 13:14
    I have a 1998 Monte which I purchased new. I now have 228,000 miles on it and can't complain. It's been a great car. Brakes seem to be replaced alot but could be my driving..lol. Engine has been good..no major issues. Standard water pump, serpentine belt, starter,etc but what do I expect at 228,000 miles? My check engine light has been on since 100,000 miles but engine is fine. I did have to spend a fortune to tell the computer that I wasn't stealing my own car. Was DEFINATELY not happy with that. Other than what I would call minor issues..I love my monte!!
    Tony Royster, Ankeny, IA, November 27, 2010 13:13
    Overall this car is great. I live in the Midwest which means I must handle extreme weather--cold or hot. This car handles very well on ice, however, it doesn't take much to get this car stuck in snow since it rides so low to the ground. For some reason, the radio facing gets abnormally hot to the touch. One major headache has been the breaks specifically the rotors. I've had to rotate and replace the rotors multiple times.
    WKlaassen, Beverly Hills, CA, November 27, 2010 13:13
    Love my 2003 SS! 611,200km and still running! Just changed my first water pump and alternator in it this winter!
    Visitor, Farmingdale, NY, November 27, 2010 13:12
    love this car owned for 8+ years no major problems problems I am 6' 4" tall one of few cars I can fit in comfortably and still see out windows
    Visitor, Tinley Park, IL, November 27, 2010 13:10
    190000K MILES....had my 2002 Monte Carlo since 2001...got lucky she's a great car....never missed any maintenance.....if you want proof ill show you....she's my silver bullet
  • 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    Visitor, Mcallen, TX, October 29, 2010 09:17
    i bought this car and it runs really good just the ac it takes a bit for cool air to go to the back
    Visitor, Sioux Falls, SD, October 02, 2010 17:39
    So I never liked Chevys. Then I fell in love with this 2002 Monte Carlo, which drove like a dream and still does. It's not the hottest car, but it's sporty and gets through snow alright. I have the SS 3.8L. But...the first problem I had was that all the lights in the dash would flash randomly, like they do when you turn it on. I was told the instrument clusters on these go out a lot, and that's what I need to get. 15,000 miles later, it still hasn't gone completely out, which I am waiting for before replacing it. However, the blinkers also work only when they want to. And today, very sadly, on October 2nd in South Dakota, the heated seat on the driver's side stopped working. So...I guess if you want to buy a 2002 Monte Carlo, be extremely prepared for electrical problems. FYI: mine has 53,000 miles on it and already has these problems.
    Visitor, Boynton Beach, FL, July 15, 2010 21:00
    love my car it runs smooth i have a 1999 red monte carlo i bought used about three months ago and its doing me good so far. gets me where i have to go and is very realiable. i bought it with 150k miles and its still running nice it just needs a tune up. chevy is an awesome car brand.
    Visitor, Memphis, TN, July 09, 2010 14:15
    I bought a 2006 Monte Carlo in 2008 with 60,000 miles on it. 2 and a half years later and I have reached 99,000. I have not had any trouble out of my car. I truly love it. I get the oil changed every 3,000 miles like clock work. I will getting my first tune up and 100,000.
    Visitor, Sabina, OH, June 26, 2010 18:31
    I have owned other monte carlos in the past and liked every one of them but this is a bad lemon. After owning this car and working with 300 other GM cars at work I will never own another one.
    Manda, Jeromesville, OH, March 28, 2010 15:50
    decent car
    Visitor, Jeromesville, OH, March 28, 2010 15:48
    Needs brakes and power steering fixed
    1LastChevy, Depew, NY, November 24, 2009 16:45
    Ya know...I'm so disappointed with this car. I bought this car in 2005 with only 10,000 miles on it. I bought it because I was tired of repairing my old cheap cars. Buying a car that only had 10,000 miles on it which is nearly new right?, I thought with good care I should be good for awhile. I currently just hit 50,000 miles, still low miles right? Here are the troubles I have at this point. Today the plenum intake was replaced, steering clunking from the intermidate shaft I guess, turn signals work when they want too, headlights flicker, wipers park in a upright position...I think that might be it. I'm really bummed out because I was hoping for a long lasting, trouble free chevy but I guess they just don't make them to good any more. I have the Dale Earnhardt edition to which had a sticker price just shy of $30,000. After this I guess I'm back to $4-5,000 cars!!
    Kudz, Pensacola, FL, August 20, 2009 16:46
    Mine is a 2002 SS 3.8L. Bought it brand new. Other then the cheap and crappy interior paneling the car had been doing good. Recently however its had cascading electrical failures. First the computer went, then the MAF sensor went, then both o2 sensors and the Cat. After getting all that repaired, within days of getting it back the Coolant Level sensor has gone and the Traction Control and ABS systems have failed. After reading through several forums and tech data, these generation Monte Carlos are highly prone for these failures. After having to put up with this much trouble in such a short time, I look forward to the day when mine gets crushed in the scrap yard. I would recommend staying away from these cars.
    Peachez, Houston, TX, July 01, 2009 21:40
    I have driven my car from Dallas to Houston and back...and from new Orleans to Houston and back on several ocassions. When I bought the vehicle I had 27,000 miles on it, I now have over 90, 000 miles on it and the only thing i had to replace was a transmission fluid hose or something similar. This car is awesome. 2006 LT
    BohlDogg, Evanston, IL, June 20, 2009 09:18
    I have been pretty rough on this car but it has served me well. The only issues I've had are with the oxygen sensors and the catalytic converter. Both have had to be replaced multiple times. Other than that I have 132k miles on this baby and she still has some get up and go.
    moobaha, Omaha, NE, April 25, 2009 15:15
    i have a 06 monte ltz with the 3.9 V6 it runs good and has some good power. my only problem with the car is in the rain it struggles to get traction when you step on it
    Mickens2, Memphis, TN, April 20, 2009 08:43
    I have had this 2004 car at 19,000 miles when purchased and i had to change out some box under the hood which caused the air not to work, lights going on and off, radio would not work, what ever the problem was the entire box had to be replaced. There has not been any other problems since then.
    hotrodgirl79, Grafton, OH, February 18, 2009 13:21
    Bought this '01 Monte Carlo LS 3.4L V6 in mid-Oct 2008 with 64,000 miles on it. Car ran great when I purchased it, but shortly after I decided to do some tuneup work on the car is when the problems started happening... I first changed the oil and oil filter, air filter and had no problems there. Then I decided to change the belts and hoses and flush the cooling system...that's where the first major issue happened. After flushing the cooling system, I didn't change the thermostat because it seemed to be working ok but after flushing it about 1,000 miles later, my temperature gauge stop working. I then decided to change the thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor since they were next to each other. Pretty crazy just to replace one if I wasn't sure of the problem. Well, that took care of that problem...until the heater & a/c stopped working when it was below freezing!!! Checked fuses and relays and it wasn't that...wasn't the motor either...ended up being the blower motor resistor....another stupid part burnt up!! After that I noticed that my car was running lean after pulling the plugs out to check them. Wasn't sure what was causing it but later but figured out that it might've been the whole cooling system thing that caused it....which somehow screwed up the catalytic converter which needed to be replaced too because somehow one day, the car was unable to drive because it was loud and horrible sounding!! After changing the converter, it took care of that, all worked great until the coolant level sensor went out. Still haven't replaced it...not a big deal to me. Car isn't leaking coolant and it's full. Changed the spark plugs and wires and all of that is fine...but now about 10,000 miles later, I'm having an issue with the security light on my dash flickering and the door locks locking and unlocking on their own and the headlights and interior lights flickering. It's becoming a pain right now! From what I hear this is another common occurence on these cars... Heard the problem is the BCM aka Body Control Module. Haven't replaced it yet but will soon! Good thing I know how to work on cars otherwise all of this would've costed me a fortune at a garage! Other issue that I have with the vehicle is the clunking and rattling sound in the steering column/shaft...It's coming from the intermediate shaft...again, another common issue with most GM cars.. Haven't replaced it yet or greased the shaft yet. You can still drive around the way it is until it just gets to you too much to the point you need to replace it. One last thing that I'll need to replace sometime in the next 25,000-50,000 will be the gaskets on the intake and possible head gasket... Again, another common issue on most GM vehicles from 2000-2005..they used these really crappy gaskets that are paper thin and don't last long! Beyond all of that that I have mentioned... I guess you could say its a good car..lol This is the first car that I've dropped this much money in in less than 25,000 miles worth of ownership... I sure do miss my old Buick!!
    tomwilliams134, Augusta, GA, January 31, 2009 09:33
    I bought this car for $400 in early 2009. It has no major issues so far. The left wheel area makes some noises when driving straight or turning left. When turning right, it clears up. The driver's seat of this particular car was broken by the previous owner, due to the fact that he was 415 pounds. He leaned back, and the seat snapped. No major issues though. It has held up quite well. There is plenty of room in all seat positions, as well as huge trunk space.
    nascar_53, Muskegon, MI, January 15, 2009 05:54
    I bought my 2006 Monte new, I have less than 23,000 miles on it. Since I bought it, it has been in the local dealership garage 3 times for the transmission slippage or harsh shifting, of course they can't seem to find anything wrong ! Just recently it was towed to the chevy garage for the blowing of a power steering line.I take good care of my chevy but I'm becoming a little worried about tranny and power steering
  • 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    lin19lyn, Melrose Park, IL, November 04, 2008 08:16
    i purchased this car 2 years ago-spent @ $1000 getting it into shape and have driven it with no problems since. however, i didn't pass my emissions test and now am waiting to see what i need to repair it and if it is worth it.......