Chevrolet Reviews

Chevrolet Reviews and Owner Comments

Beautiful vehicle, good truck! Minor wear and tear, except the gas gage has sporadic behavior after 50,000 miles. Looks good and still turns heads!
PROS: I've put all of the 209,000 miles on my Astro. Still doesn't burn a drop of oil and runs smoothly. I change the oil faithfully about every 4,500 miles. Still gets around 23 MPH highway. I don't ever recall having to align it. CONS: Replaced two alternators but made the mistake of using non-OEM the first time which lasted 13 months with 1 yr. warranty (of course). 2nd replacement was OEM from dealer and it's still going after a number of years. Replaced 2 AC compressors and very recently, the AC condenser. Transmission coolant line let go just before 200,000 miles. Still, with 209,000 miles, I have certainly gotten my $ worth and would buy another in a heartbeat if they still made them.
5.3 motor been using oil since day one. 31700 miles later and still using oil . change oil every 3000 miles. have records where g.m. changed my oil showing low on oil. use truck for pleasure only no heavy use.
There was a review regarding some issues. One was rear pistons do not work. Go to any of the major parts stores and get replacements. If you can not figure it out ask them to install them while you hold up the rear hatch. I believe about 25.00 each. The instrument problem is resolved for less than 250.00 Several sites explain how to put the steering wheel down, remove the instrument cluster bevel, remove 4 bolts, and send it in. They can also add a transmission temp tensor for 70.00. Rotors and pads are expected maintenance. Rear brakes are easy, except you would be best off renting a lift to get the caliper mounting bracket bolts loose. Once you break them free the rest is easy and cheap. About 150.00 for rotors and pads. For less than one month's car payment you can get most of the repairs taken care of. Just like the wife, a little LTC is cheaper than a divorce.
I also have the same problem with my 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 4.8L. Sent to shop to have oil sending unit replaced. They called and said it was installed but that wasn't my problem. He said it was my oil pick up tube an screen. Shop called 2 days later, I was expecting them to say it was ready for pick up but instead said that wasn't my problem an recommended motor replacement. I drive my truck to work an back which is 206 miles per day. No noise, knocking ,smoking or lose of power. I bought it new on dec 31, 2010. It's five years old with 130,000 miles on her. Does anyone know if this is a factory defect or if there is a recall on the oil pressure in the 4.8L V8 engines.
I've owned my current 2002 Tracker with a 2 liter engine and 5 spd transmission for over 7 years now. I bought it with 81K on and it was obvious it had been driven hard and put away wet when I bought it. BUT... the engine had no timing chain noise at start up (tell tale sign it needs a new timing chain, gear and tensioner kit) so I bought it. This was the 7th Tracker/Sidekick/Grand Vitara type vehicle I have owned since 1994. They are all essentially the same truck with minor badge differences. These vehicles are spartan in design and creature comforts, but they are durable and well engineered trucks that IF properly maintained will last through 300K miles, easily. The key to getting this type of long term use from these trucks is regular and PROPER maintenance, particularly when it comes to the oil changes and filters. The engines on the '99 and newer trucks have timing chains, hydraulic tensioners, and guides on them. The engines (both 2 liter and 2.5 liter are interference engines, meaning IF your timing chain fails, your engine will have valve damage because they will contact the pistons. You need to run 5X20 oil in them until they reach about 150K miles, then switch to 5X30 to account for slight bearing wear. DON'T buy cheap filters. Buy filters with the anti-drain back valves in them. The trucks will need a timing chain kit at or around 150-160K miles. Do it. Keep your diff, transmission and transfer case box gear oils changed regularly and your truck will carry you for hundreds of thousands of reliable miles. Don't perform the maintenance and you will experience the costs for repairs that lack of maintenance eventually costs everyone. The people who rate these trucks across the board as low quality, have either purchased a used vehicle which has not been properly maintained, then they experience the failure and repair expenses... OR the people buy them expecting them to have the creature comforts of a Denali, when they were never intended for that market niche. The air conditioners in these trucks are marginal at best. BUT if you have one replaced and you take your truck to a cheapee national garage chain to repair it... they probably aren't putting the 2-3 ounces of compressor oil in the pumps during installation and they burn up. A new compressor, installed on these trucks should never cost you more than $700 even at today's market prices. If you paid more... you got robbed and didn't do your homework. Don't complain about it being your truck's fault. I love my Tracker. It is reliable, capable and dependable. Not to mention it still gives me 24MPG on the highway even after all the modifications I have added to it such as higher differential gears, a rear mechanical locker, OME suspension, larger tire mud tires, etc. For a bare-bones little truck with basically just air conditioning and a radio, the hi-Lo transfer case enables it to go where some Jeeps cannot even travel. You can't find trucks of this quality on the market anymore. I'll keep mine. Thank you very much.
I would not buy another. In 12 years I have spent over 7000.00 in repairs and most of them I did myself. The transmission was done by others. Very poorly built truck. Everything is rusting out including brake lines and fuel lines. Only good side is the ride.
hahahah I just sold my S-10 to some kid in Michigan and I had to put duct tape on the radiator hoses because it was almost ready to explode. It was something like 5 degrees outside I felt bad but took the $10 he paid me for the truck and invested it in a couple of cold pabst blue ribbons at the indian casino and with $5 left I put it in the slot machine and got 1 million bucks!!! That chevy S-10 was the best truck I ever owned.
bought it new in 2008, the car is too heavy for the rotors so you find yourself replacing those a lot. power steering went out about 50,000 but thats a ele assist motor. replaced timing chains at 200,000 it now has 241,000 on it has some small issues going on with it, but I would not get rid of it
I love my 2000 Monte Carlo bought it in '02 now roughly got 235,245 miles. Oil always changed with 5w20 Synthetic and spark plugs serviced at 10,000 miles. The car is very reliable driven to California and Vegas the ride still solid and interior of car are like new. It has plenty of power love my Monte Carlo its a sporty car driving if Chevy brought back these cars again would buy another. Wouldn't sell or trade for nothing - ASAP its a good car than ever owned for me driving around town gets fully serviced at 5,000 miles.
Auto purchased in 2002 (new) @ Banner Chevrolet and till this day have been having problems with the Steering Shaft Knuckle which had to be repaired on numerous occasions. Other than that, the vehicle is in excellent condition. I have 109,707 miles. Love it.
I have an LT. The interior is leather. It has run perfectly for nearly 3 years, although I don't put high mileage on it. The only problem I've had is that I replaced the original intake with a cold-air intake and it wasn't mounted tightly enough. Be sure to follow the instructions as to shifting in and out of 4 Wheel Low. It is surprisingly nimble for so vast a vehicle. It is not as powerful, or at least it seems so, as older Suburbans; however, it's only a 327 c.i.d. so that's expectable.
I purchased my Chevy in 2014 with 96000 miles on it I've had a few issues with wiring in the fuse box under the hood now having issues with transmission not shifting in to 2nd gear I hear these trucks have a lot of wire problems
Bought a used 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ in December 2014. My Stabila track light comes on, then it hard shifts in 1st gear. Check engine light comes on now and then too. Have multiple sensors replaced, then the Camshaft sensor (1200.00), 4 weeks later it's doing it again. Now they want to replace the camshaft sprocket sensor for another $600. Burns a lot of oil too. We have no idea what is wrong with this truck. We are putting a lot of money into chasing down this problem. No idea what to do. Feel duped.
Bought this car with roughly 10k miles in 2013 since then I've had 1 recall for ignition and now needs sensors replaced, interior fabric looks cheap but the woodgrain dash is eye catching! Car has a bad blind spot that I had to get used to and to me it seems the car drinks a lot of gas! This is.my 4th Chevy and I think this has been the worst. I Dont foresee myself purchasing another one.
Looks like a cool car I would like to try out.
We actually just rented this thing for a family vacation. I had never been a fan of big vehicles till this one. it was so roomy, handled really well, pot holes and speed bumps did not faze this thing, its like they where not even there. Ran well fast response. I would recommend it.
We got this one brand new, for an economy car it has lasted us till now, I now finally had to do some big maintenance related things to it, the oil was starting to leak out and had to replace the water pump, radiator, and thermostat. ran with its original parts till now. 2015 great little economy car.
I love this car and it's performance as it looks more like a star fighter space ship, nice lines, etc. and mine is all black, all black interior with the dark light covers on the rear lights. 6 speed 5.7, but with nitrous (NOS)is more than I need. Lot's of custom upgrades for performance before I got it. Now engine light is on with poor performance so looking for info like where is OBD hookup? Seems like a plug or distributor problem (rough idle/poor acceleration with backfire) but there is no true distributor. Helpful hints on web are gas cap (but that won't cause backfire/poor performance?) or the two air injection check valves (where are those?)or PVC valve, the simplest solut6ion to start with. Custom air filters seem OK, but another thing that should be eliminated.
I am the original and only owner of my 2003 Chevy Tracker LT (2.5 ltr) model and now have 169,852 miles on it. I am very happy overall with this vehicle. At 155k did I start to have oil leak issues, stemming from my valve cover gasket. The only low mileage issue I had was the battery cables to the engine go out and that cost me $290. Other than wear and tear on brakes, no big issues. I change oil regularly and do not abuse the vehicle. The exterior paint is peeling off, and I noticed that at around 145k, but that depends on waether and how often it is washed/waxed, but really think it's just he way paint is. This suv has been extremely reliable!
Good car but poorly designed. Replacing headlights is a real pain but the main problem is the brakes. I've had to have the rotors turned and replaced twice in 60K miles along with the brakes. I have heard this is a common problem for all HHR's.
I brought my 2000 Astro ($3,250) two years ago from the original owner had 117,000 miles on it. It runs great. He Provided me with all the repair orders he had done. For PM Reasons, I just replaced -- Starter, Alternator, Radiator/All Hoses, Water Pump, Battery, Front/Rear Breaks, Rotors/Drums, Fuel Filter, Inner & Outer Tie Rods, Front/Rear Wheel Bearings, 4 new Tires (50,000 Mile), Transmission, Changed the Rear Diff Fluid, Recharged AC, Serpentine Belt & Complete Tune-up. Total repair cost $7,750 parts & Labor. The only concern I have is prior to my tune-up I would get 420 miles a tank. Now I average 320 not sure what could be the problem? Also I'm hearing thunk noise from my rear?????
I love my Tahoe. Its my 3rd bought a used 97 Tahoe in 1999 than trading off on '05 Z71 4x4 than later got my '12. Loved all of them but really like my newer Tahoe hauls my 6 lbs. boat and gets estimated of 21mpg on a V8 engine. I have the LTZ model fully loaded includes a navigation and OnStar systems very comfortable. Handles well got lots of room quiet driving on interstates and smooth on small town highways its really the best SUV I ever had. My Tahoe has 50,000 miles bought it in March 2012 with 15 miles now no problems its still going well for me though wanted another SUV something would have better performance the Tahoe was one of them. Its a gorgeous SUV with lots of features in class equipped with remote start and more definitely top of the line with having all bells and whistles.
I have a 2007 Tahoe purchased doing summer of 07. It was a really great SUV until around 155,000 miles my transmission went in March now starting off having problems with electrical wiring system and engine smells like burning oil. I don't think be looking at another Tahoe as was considering because seems this one is trying to give me trouble my warranty is expired so probably had to pay extra getting these things fixed as paid a fortune on my transmission hate that because really loved this SUV until wanted to buy another newer model.
I just purchased a 2015 Chevy Siverado 1500 LT. Nice truck. Sunset orange. I have owned a 2005 and 2006. I notice they all seem to have some sort of drive train issues. The 05 and 06 had a clunk in the drive line. Now my 2015 has a drive line vibration at 45 and 90 mph. I have read a few other peoples reviews and all said the same. I hope they find a solution because I am very OCD and do not tolerate these types of issues. Every vehicle i own is predestine and the day I sell it, The next person is getting a well taken care of vehicle.
98 Blazer LT 4x4 144,000 miles owned now two months. Truck is very Roomey but hard on front end arms and brakes.Replaced activator in drivers door and speakers after buying it with only f/l speaker working also had to replace l/f door light switch to fix interior lighting and key in ignition chimes when ever key was in ignition..Good truck for The cheap $1500.00 i paid for it. But have put 1k in it to make it a real bargain including tires, shocks, new gas cap, speakers and door jam switch and activator also left inner and outter ball joints and pittman arm still shakes on rough roads and leaks oil by bell housing area also light shaking on idle but gets the job done
Hi my name is Errol 306,000 and still going
Buy this new in 05 .The CD player died at 30k miles on it . Back window leaked . The AC quit working at 40k . Nothing but electrical problems .I am forever done with Chevy .ABS system is a nightmare
2002 Chevy Cavalier Coupe LS 2.2L SOHC, not Ecotec PROS: Will not stop running, dependable (163k). 2.2L engine bottom rock solid. Decent 30 mpg on hwy. Tight turning circle, easy to parallel park. Rides reasonably well. CONS: Car interior is cheap and not large enough for a teenager. Ditto, trunk. Various design defects: drivers window (replaced but still doesn't work), famous for bad fuel pump design (replaced), exhaust attachments to back of car, rotor wear, tons of fluid leaks!!, electrical accessory problems galore (it IS an old GM car), throws bushings and struts left and right. Transmission going bad now. BEST USE: Basic transportation but have a maintenance budget. No useful back seat access. Car for 1 or 2 people. Must service car at rec. intervals (I did). Very ugly car without a spoiler on the trunk. Huge improvement. Put one on.
I had a '97 Lumina until lady TEXTING N DRIVING crashed into me totaled whole front end well I bought another GM a Impala that is a lemon. Its nothing but problems tranny/brakes even stalled on me at stop light nearly rear ended. Took into several shops everyone tells me can't find anything I'm second handed owner this car is a lemon never will purchase another Chevy again after bad experienced. I am so mad to this point that feel driving over the ladies house telling how she caused me problems purchasing unreliable transportation as other one was one of the best cars ever had. Impala is the worst car had compared a 1980 Ford Fairmont wasn't nothing liked my Impala had lots of problems that are expensive fixing - Trannies, brakes, engine etc. Next week I'm going car shopping either Toyota or Buick for me be last and first Chevy damn it because really loved the first model owned know never trust later models that used because not so durable like the older models as my 1997 Lumina that was really my first best car ever owned.