Reviews for Chevrolet Blazer years:

Chevrolet Blazer Reviews and Owner Comments

Chevrolet BlazerOwner Reviews (37 reviews)
    Visitor, Charleston, SC, June 23, 2014 11:30
    Mine was the half year Guinnee Pig not to mention the 666 in the vin# have a wonderful mechanic that has manufactured a part to fix the egr problem that these vehicles had... new computer and tune up with genuine GM parts...rossary hanging from the rear view...lol
    Visitor, Pahoa, HI, March 02, 2014 20:49
    My 1998 Chevy Blazer S10 four wheel drive been having play in its steering wheel, the result of that is my both front tires, the right side of the tire about an inch and a half is going bald. So I changed my bushings and idler. Did my first long stretch of driving and when my tires went over reflectors and manhole covers on the road, it felt like the tires were slipping and a few times it felt like the wheel wanted to drive on its own. I really need help to find out what the real problems are instead of buying parts that is not problem.
    Blizzard of Ozz, Winthrop Harbor, IL, August 08, 2012 19:45
    Bought a 2000 LT model, fully loaded, less the sunroof 4/12. First it needed a "vent valve," gas cap, and a gas filler neck to shut off the "Service Engine Soon" light. Then I replaced brakes and lower ball joints. Then, the "service engine soon" light comes on a day after I had the brakes and lower ball joints done. Was told it was "not replacing the gas cap properly." OK, so then a week later, I noticed that when you reverse and turn the steering wheel tightly on the process, it "drags" almost like you are in full 4 wheel drive mode. Was told by the mechanic that it sounds like a transmission problem and take it to Aamco to do the free estimate. Aamco told me that the gears in the front axle were "binding up" and with time (approximately 1 year or so), that this will drag on the Trans. and "fry" out the transmission. $1100.00 was the quote I got from Aamco to fix the "spider gears" in the differential, plus labor. This all happened within a 3 month period! Stay away from these Blazers! Their big 4.3 Liter V6 engines are good, but it totally ends there!
    Visitor, Osseo, MN, May 21, 2012 11:50
    I own a 200 Chevy Blazer that now has 235,200+ miles. The body is in very good shape (no rust) even though it sits outside 100% of the time in Minnesota (also lots of salt on the roads). The original tires and brakes out lasted both front hub assemblies (45,000 & 51,000 respectively and the transmission (92,000 and again at 137,000) even though I never abused it or towed anything. Luckily, I purchased lifetime warranted hub assemblies so it when they went bad the 2nd time, I only had to pay the labor to have them replaced ($90 each). At the 1st transmission rebuild ($1,800), the builder said that EVERY component had a new part number specified so I replaced everything while it was torn apart even though only the "sun guard" was bad. The 2nd rebuild ($1,300) required replacing the "sun guard" again but this time they used a different part that they said was used in racing applications - no problems to this time even though I have towed a boat and small trailer several times. The intake manifold gasket was finally replaced at 210,000 although in hide sight it should have been replaced 5 years ago at about 90,000 miles because that was when we first noticed that we didn't always have heat. We couldn't tell that the coolant was low, we believe because of a design flaw that allowed air bubbles to prevent coolant from circulating as it should (This might be a good time to bad mouth the factory fill of orange coolant that started to clog the cooling system.). The problem was caught even though a local Chev dealership ran a pressure check on the system when we first noticed the problem. The gas pump was replaced at 120,000. Expect a $400+ bill for that. The hinge pins on the front doors have been replaced 3 times each. The pins only cost about $9 each ($18 per door) but really require a air hammer to drive back into place because their isn't enough room to swing hammer hard enough to drive them into place. A steel rod or socket extension might work but you will still have to monkey with getting the spring back into place and that is a pain also. A body shop will probably charge about $80-$100 per door. The lift gate washer also leaked multiple times, probably due to the fluid freezing because it wasn't used enough and it can get -40 degrees F (actual - not with wind chill) here. This again is poor design because any engineer from Detroit should realize that temperature do get well below freezing! The design of the levers used to raise and lower the seat backs also was TERRRIBLE (maybe it was good design for Chev because they broke immediately after, rather than just before, the warranty expired). Most owners that I know also had their handles snap off (driver's side at 12,100 and passenger's at 13,000 and didn't replace them because there wasn't a good replacement. To summarize, they don't easily rust but they have numerous (and expensive) problems.
    eryck, Lake Village, IN, April 20, 2012 16:43
    I have owned my blazer since about 20k miles I have had to do regular maintenance, such as wheel hub, alternator, brakes, oil changes etc. However the SUV is a bull dog i have almost 250k miles and it just keeps running. One of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Easy to work on for a novice mechanic and comfortable to drive. Gas mileage sucks. But overall GM did a great job with this one!!!
    daren1, Canada, KY, April 11, 2012 13:37
    2000 chevy s10 blazer 140000 miles runs ok as long as it is accelerating when i give it just enough gas to maintain my speed my rpm fall and rise with a miss 45 to 55 miles an hour replaced gas filter and air filter and air flow cencer please can anyone help
    Visitor, Dundee, FL, February 10, 2012 18:43
    we bought this 1995 chevy s-10blazer on sunday.then on monday after insuring,tagging the truck the truck jumps time.we discover it has chevy tahoe starter,a new flywheel.so we buy timing chain, belt, map sensor,and low and behold the truck still wont move without shutting off.so you talk about bad luck.man if it weren't for bad luck we wouldn't have any luck.
    Visitor, Lonoke, AR, December 08, 2011 18:46
    Hey man I had that idle problem it was an O2 sencer
    mmtech, Pawtucket, RI, December 04, 2011 13:49
    I had this since it came out never had a problem, kept up with preventative maintenance, got all the options for the LT and recently added some new upgrades like a camera system, new radio with ipod integration. Ever since I bought it, never had to replace transmission, engine or any other major part. I'm proud to say that I even was able to tow a load larger than what it was capable of. As far as the 4WD it is still awesome, but with the gas going the way it is I'm working on making a hydrogen hybrid out of my gem.
    Visitor, Madison, IN, November 26, 2011 19:30
    batteries run down constanly.
    Visitor, Topeka, IN, October 18, 2011 20:41
    I bought my Blazer new on the last day of Sept. 1997. It now has 343,000 miles on it! While I have had some major issues over the years I have very little reason to complain about my vehicle. The largest repairs I have had included replacing the differential, radiator, heater core and most recently the passenger side wheel bearing. Almost all the repairs needed were from 'normal' wear and tear on the vehicle. I have driven from Indiana to the west coast states several times in it, most recently this year - at 340,000 miles! Gotta love the Chevy Blazer!
    Visitor, Redding, CA, October 02, 2011 22:09
    My boyfriend was changing my starter in my blazer. While tightening up the blot it broke in half in the starter engine block. Then while trying to get it out with an easy off, the easy off broke inside the broken bolt! I'm not sure what to do now, I just bought it a year ago & don't have the money to take it to a shop. Does anyone know how much I could maybe sell it for? Or how to fix this? No men in my life have yet been able to figure this one out.
    Visitor, Gardena, CA, September 04, 2011 15:32
    My '95 Blazer must have been built on a Monday, because from the day I bought it, I have had nothing but trouble with it. Fortunately, I decided to buy a 6 year bumper to bumper warranty on it because I think I've replaced almost every single major organ in that truck...with the exception of the engine! It's now 2011, and things have finally calmed down. But its my second "Home Depot" vehicle now so I only put maybe 100 miles a year on it now (its at 114,000), so maybe that's why I have so few repairs these days. And, I think it was an electrical issue that had caused all the problems, because once we discovered the vanity light in the sunvisor wasn't going off when closed, I stopped having problems and I haven't had to replace a batter in three years! Who knows?! I've had 9 batteries in that car. 2 master cylinder replacements, 2 radiator's, a fuel pump replacement, water pump, alternator, even the air bag had to be replaced because the airbag indicator light went on indicated it wasn't engaged...but, the bumper to bumper warrenty covered it all!
    Visitor, Jefferson City, MO, August 15, 2011 10:03
    Purchased in 2007 at 70K. We now have 120K on it. At 110K got a hole in the radiator. When the radiator was replaced, the transmission fluid connection was not secure and immediately popped off, causing transmission to be destroyed. The shop gave us a new transmission at their expense - a great example of how some shops still stand behind their work (thanks, Ewers Tire!) We've had to have all wheel bearings replaced. Current issues - drivers power window and 4WD don't work. These seem to be common issues with the Blazer. Gas mileage not nearly as good as modern midsized SUV's. Due to the issues we've had and the poor mileage, we'll probably trade it in in the near future.
    four by four, Keystone Heights, FL, June 20, 2011 11:30
    when you step on the accelerator the air conditioner stops the fan from blowing and as soon as you let off of the accelerator the air comes back on. Can anyone help with this problem?
  • 1991 Chevrolet Blazer
    Visitor, Wilsonville, OR, April 10, 2011 22:19
    Love this car, mine only has 128x miles and runs perfect. feels new still
    Visitor, Hudsonville, MI, February 18, 2011 05:51
    I have had my blazer since the first mile, it now has 200,000 miles on it. It has been a wonderful SUV. The gas gauge stopped working a few years back. I seem to replace the ball joints every few years, replaced fuel pump 75,000 miles under warranty. Hardly no rust interior looks great. I will have this vehicle until it no longer runs or has to much rust on it. I would purchase this vehicle again.
    Visitor, Elk Point, SD, January 24, 2011 06:27
    I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and i have had to replace both of the back break calibers and now i have to replace the transmission. I love it because its a great suv, but it sucks on gas. The fuel gauge doesn't work so its like guessing in the dark. It has got to sit for a little while until i can find a good transmission.
    joelburke26, New Castle, PA, December 15, 2010 18:01
    i would buy another blazer just dissapointed in the abs and how hard this suv is on ball joints.
    Visitor, Fortuna, CA, November 30, 2010 23:57
    Biggest problem for me is the sealed hub bearings, I've honestly gone through 7 of them since I've owned it (about 70,000 miles). These parts are extremely expensive compared to the old fashioned wheel bearings (about $300) each. No one knows why they keep failing. I keep wheels aligned, no off road, and tire size is within normal limits. Otherwise, just cheap plastic stuff breaking off, seat knobs, etc. Powerful motor, I like the Vortec, tows anything. Wheel base is to close, easy to "shimmy" on turns in not careful.
  • 2004 Chevrolet Blazer
    Visitor, Grand Forks, ND, November 30, 2010 09:57
    I purchased my 2004 Blazer two years ago and have had nothing but problems with it, just found out i need to have a new window regulator put in and also all four ball joints need to be replaced. I have had them replace the gas pump as it was getting stuck at 1/4 tank and it still does all the sudden no gas go figure! Have had to replace wheel bearings on one side (that werent even bad it was the joint instead) Thank god for extended warrenties. THey are also telling me the tires and the brake pads and rotors are bad just more money to sink into this car.
    Visitor, Cranston, RI, November 26, 2010 13:45
    GM needs to get its act together
  • 1994 Chevrolet Blazer
    mac09, Victoria, TX, November 26, 2010 13:45
    Over 201,000 miles and still going strong. Anti-lock brakes have always been a problem, in fact, may have contributed to a minor accident. Rides like a truck - but that's OK - I use it like one!
    Visitor, Niagara Falls, NY, November 17, 2010 17:49
    I have had this truck for 6 years. I got it with 150,000 kms on it. It now has 280,000 kms. The repairs have been expensive but nothing I would not call normal wear and tear save for the ball joints. This model year had some sort of design flaw and so the truck is very hard on them. After this winter its going to need another set. lol Looking at retiring the old girl and upgrading to a 2004 GMC Envoy with low mileage. Pinstress, Toronto, ON
    staceysax, Yuba City, CA, November 02, 2010 20:51
    I just spent $3000 on ball joints,fuel injectors,water pump,and much more..great suv but the suspension sucks,and it sucks on gas!
    Wylde, Jordan, MN, October 20, 2010 15:24
    This is by far the most dependable vehicle That I have ever owned and it is also the most functional as well, I have a two door LS model with 2wd and a 5 speed manual transmission, My Blazer is comfortable and so flexible, I can fold down the rear seat and it has a huge area for transporting groceries or stuff for a fishing trip, It is a joy to own and drive and I hope to drive it many more years..
    razorbacklover, Jacksboro, TN, July 13, 2010 11:47
    great vehicle.. the only trouble has been the transmission. on the third tranny and it needs another. has 211000 miles on motor and does not use a drop of oil.
  • 2002 Chevrolet Blazer
    Visitor, Fargo, ND, July 10, 2010 18:15
    THIS IS A GREAT SUV
    Visitor, Elk River, MN, May 19, 2010 07:39
    The body and interior is still in like new condition. I try to wash all salt and other corrosives as soon as I can. The AC has a leak but I can get by without that benefit. I have replaced the suspension including torsion bars. The exhaust, electrical, drive train, motor is still all original equipment. With proper maintenance, a vehicle will last.
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, April 03, 2010 07:23
    Had problems since the first day of purchase
    carl07643, Little Ferry, NJ, February 10, 2010 15:51
    I thanked God that I purchased the extended warranty with this vehicle. Now that I have 160,000+ miles on the vehicle I am at its mercy. The most recent problem is with the transmission.
    fjs52, Easton, PA, January 19, 2010 19:58
    This is my second Blazer. Last one just retired with about 225,000 miles on it. Had no major issues with it so I got another one.
    Kman, Munster, IN, November 30, 2009 13:40
    Typical Gm garbage this truck has 54000 and is pampered. I change oil every 1500 miles or three months. Do all scheduled maintenece early. It in the shop every other month. Whhel bearings , alternator, water pump, transfercase, pulleys, fuel pump etc. almost as bad as my ex 2001 malibu. which now is replaced by a2010 toyota corrolla. No mor Gm cars for me and thats all i ever bought in my 40years of driving.
    Jimmy Mac, Bellville, OH, April 11, 2009 07:00
    This has been a great vehicle. Since 2005 I have everything fixed every two years that can possibly be wrong with it and it keeps on running great. I spend around $2,000 every two years. The body style has not changed so that has been a great plus also. For the money, it's the best car I have owned since I started driving back in 1969.
    harrisond, Mooresville, NC, January 22, 2009 13:23
    when bought my blazer it had 275.000 miles on it it now has 330,000 miles and it runs great it has a complete original drive train and has plenty of power and runs smooth. the trans does however shifts hard from 1st to 2nd but only from time to time and has an assosiated service engine light, and being only from time to time i think it is an electical prob maybe the shift soliniode but i dont know and it is hardly a problem i expect with proper maintenence for it to continue runnig fine for while
    GMguy, Rochester, MI, January 20, 2009 17:51
    I have a silver Blazer just like the one pictured and it now has 238,000 miles and runs great. I like it so much that I bought another one and now have two. The only real things that I have had to do is change the oil, brakes, battery, generator, etc. The one thing that did go wrong that i did not like was the heater core went bad at about 200,000 miles.
    Marti_1, Knoxville, IA, January 20, 2009 08:46
    I love my blazer, I have 133,368 miles on my car and having changed the oil and lube every 3,000 miles, only lately have I had a problem with the transmission.