Reviews for Chevrolet Aveo years:

Chevrolet Aveo Reviews and Owner Comments

Chevrolet AveoOwner Reviews (66 reviews)
    CJS123, San tan valley, AZ, November 21, 2014 15:09
    I bought my 2007 Aveo 5 LS Hatchback in 2009, with 6125 miles on it (four of which were my test drive :) Overall I have been very happy with it though it did have it's first major issue at around 50,000 miles when the A/C compressor went out. Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty and all I paid was $100, instead of $1300 (P/L). The most recent issue is earlier this week the driver's door lock knob broke off in my hand; the fix will be $113. Last year the brake switch went out so I had no brake lights and had to put the key in the little opening and press down to get the car out of park. The fix was $104 (P/L). Prior to that the serpentine belt needed replacing in 2012 which was $106 (P/L). The gas mileage has been decent and it's a fun car to run around in; took a road trip to Grand Canyon and Petrified Forest National Parks and had fun zipping around. The seats could be a bit thicker, but overall it is a comfortable ride. I am concerned over the safety alert regarding the daytime running lamp switch/module that has been known to overheat and catch fire, and for which (they say) there is NO CURRENT FIX. The dealer said they don't know any more about it than I do--this does not inspire confidence. I only hope the car holds up--I buy cars to keep them as long as possible and the extended warranty will expire 6/2015 when the loan is paid off and the car is 8 years old. I am seriously considering buying an additional warranty, though I hate the thought of taking on a warranty payment when I finish with the car payments. For now,I still enjoy my 'peanut car' (I got a kick out of another poster calling it the same thing)--also known here as the copper penny, since I bought the 'burnt orange' color--great for the desert! I just realized there is a separate section for the Aveo 5, so I posted this there as well.
    Visitor, Salesville, OH, July 31, 2014 11:13
    I HAVE CHEVY AVEO-5, HATCH-BACK. AND ALL I KEEP DOING IS KEEP PUTTING NEW PARTS IN IT. SO, FAR I HAD TO KEEP GETTING THROTTLE BODY SENSORS AT 200.00 EACH TIME. AND THE MANUFACTURER SAYS THAT THROTTLE BODYS GO OUT ALOT ON THIS TYPE OF VEHICLE. PLUS I ALSO 2X GOTTEN FRONT END ALGNMENT AND FOUND OUT THAT THE DRIVERS REAR AXLE OR TIRE CANT BE REALIGNED. CAUSE THE MANUFACTORER PUT THE BOLT ON WRONG AND THEREFORE SAYS THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO ITS NONE OF OUR FAULTS EXCEPT THE PLACE THAT MADE IT. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THROTTLE BODY SENSORS? DO THEY KEEP GOING UP?
    Visitor, Spanaway, WA, June 10, 2014 08:47
    I bought my Aveo brand new. After a couple of weeks it started to smell of rotten eggs. I couldn't use the heater or air conditioner because the smell would come into the car. Took it to the dealership and they denied smelling it. Did this 4 times before a man customer piped up and told them that they must all have sinus infections because the car stinks to high heaven. After 2 years of this, they finally looked at the catylitic converter and said it was falling apart. They replaced it. It still smells. They changed the oxygen sensor due to a recall. It still stinks. Complained to GM and they told me they refuse to deal with the problem any more. The car has 25k miles on it and it needs new tires and had to replace the brake light switch. I get lousy gas mileage. This car is a lemon but am not in a position to buy a new car. I was really upset to find out the car was made in Korea. If I do buy another car, it will not be a GM product.
    Visitor, Myrtle, MS, April 13, 2014 17:54
    After 120000 miles ive just had y first problem with my 2004 aveo, Started to missing and skipping on take off, got it home and pulled the spark plug wires and looked down the holes at the plugs and oil was around all the plugs with 2 of them having oil atleast half way up on the plugs
    Visitor, Sugar Land, TX, November 08, 2013 17:46
    Worst car ever!!!! Stay away!!!
  • 2010 Chevrolet Aveo
    Visitor, Mason City, IA, August 19, 2013 17:56
    I have a 2010 Chevrolet Aveo Hashback the tire wear is not good. I have had to replace all 4 tires 2x. The last set of tires have only 6,237 miles the tires are 40000 mile tire. They have to be replaced because they wearing out fast. I also have a 2009 Chevrolet Aveo Sedan the car is also wearing out tires. These cars are not good for tire wear. Why did GM ever put these cars on the market? The problem is GM put 15 inch tire rims on these cars. GM engineers did not do the research very good before they put these Aveo's on the market. I bought both cars preowned. I had to replace tires on both cars 2 times. I will never buy a GM Aveo again.
    bridgetterenee, Dallas, TX, March 27, 2013 13:10
    NISSN HERE I COME!MY CHEVY SUCKS 2008 AVEO....MONEY WELL WAISTED!!!!
    Visitor, Framingham, MA, January 02, 2013 19:55
    Bought my 2006 Chevy Aveo LS hatchback at the end of 2007 with 20k miles on it. Worst purchase I ever made. This car has had issues since the first week I had it, and spent more time in the shop than with me in the first months I owned it. I really wish I had been able to just return the car, especially given the severe drop in worth. The throttle body/position sensor is faulty, despite replacements. Car does not respond to pressure on the gas pedal properly, causing it to shake and "stutter" even leading to it completely shutting off while driving at times. Gas mileage is rarely over 25 mpg, even on the highway, due to these issues. I've also had to have the airbag replaced due to a "recall", though that was covered there have been consistent issues with airbag sensors. Each of these costs almost $300 and can only be replaced by the dealership due to the reprogramming needed following replacement. Both the front wheel-bearings have gone way before their time despite no accidents or other traumas to the vehicle. Each of these repairs cost me over $400. Other issues include poor insulation resulting in significant road noise, particularly on the highway. Ineffective car-jack provided, it was unable to lift the car to the necessary height to remove the tires when needed. These are just a few of the issues I've had with this car over the years. Over the last year alone I spent almost $2000 in unexpected repairs, and now there is another $1500 to be done. That is ON TOP of regular maintenance costs, which I keep up with as well. I bought this vehicle because of its cost effectiveness and decent gas mileage. Neither of these have been the case, and I am very disappointed. Its no wonder that Chevy discontinued this model. Too bad the dealerships will only give about $1000 for the ones they sold. Safe to say: This was the worst purchase I've ever made, and I am highly unlikely to purchase another vehicle from Chevy.
    Visitor, North Haverhill, NH, September 02, 2012 20:33
    I bought my aveo used w/5k miles on it. Cost was $7500 after trading in a boat anchor of an escort on it... six years later it has 142,000 miles and still runs like a champ and delivers 38-40 mpg. For the money I have no complaints. Been a great car. Looks like I will get to 200k. Upside, the car is pretty fun to drive. It does well in snow if you stay on the ball, the tail does like to wag a bit. (can you say"drifting?" ;D )Downside, the front end suspension is noisy, it eats tires, (I really drive sanely,have not had this problem before) usually only 30k out of 60k rated treadwear. Overall, I have really come to like this little car.
    Visitor, Cadillac, MI, August 30, 2012 15:37
    Brought 2009 new. At 1st with heater on it smell rotton. but the smell went away about 6,000 miles on it. Great gas mileage. 33 miles city driving. 37 on highway. One thing really wrong. on some days with the wind just right I get exhaust fumes in the car. could be driving at 55mph and smell fumes. the tires on it only lasted 15,000 miles. and looking for new tires I found the tire size was off size and not much of a price range on makes of tires. I look at one size bigger on tires and got a hugh sorted of makes and price range. I went to one size bigger and so far got 20,000 miles on the tires and still are good. I am worried because all the problems I heard about the car. hope I don't have any more problems.
    Visitor, Essex, MD, July 19, 2012 10:40
    2005 Chev Aveo Purchased in Sept. '04. WONDERFUL car. LS hatchback currently 72K. Thermostat went at 49K, had timimg belt changed at that time as due at 50K. I have oil changes every 3,000 with synthetic oil. everything original on car except tires and front brakes(at 47K). On highway trips to NC and VA get 43 mpg. in city driving more like 27mpg. Only issue is clear coat peeling off of air foil, rest of car is fine. I have used car to haul lumber, brick, furniture, you name it. will keep this car to 200K+ if possible then get another one:)
    Visitor, Howard, OH, June 21, 2012 20:08
    I bought this car used in the middle of december for $6200 and 6 months later i was told it was valued at $2800! 6 Weeks after i purchased my vehicle the rear-passenger shoe broke, literally in half! I had to have it towed an hour from where i lived to the dealership. Even though it was after my warranty they were kind enough to fix my problem for free. Exactly one week later, the same tire started making a screeching grinding noise similar to hitting your brakes on ice! they again fixed the problem for me (blaming themselves). Yet a week later, the exact same noise was happening. I have had this car for 7 months now, and i have had the exact same brake worked on 18 times. No one seems to be able to fix the problem and GM won't recall it. If anyone else is having this problem please e-mail me! I'm trying to talk to GM now and it would help if others had the same problem! eskaggs-19181@cotc.edu
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, June 07, 2012 20:05
    Purched new on dealers lot. Within a few months the interior light by the On Star buttons burned out. Replaced it my self. With less then 10,000 miles on it I had to return two times to the dealer to re-aleign the front passenger door due to door hitting fender when in open position. Getting poor gas milage even although I do a lot of coasting as much as possible. Had plugs and boots replaced due to factory recall. Increased milage a little. So far no major problems, with only 15,700 miles on car, but with all the super bad problems that I've been reading about this car, I'm really worried , wondering when my problems will start. One last thought, if you read on your window sticker when you bought the car new you will see that it was made in KOREA, NOT by GM in the U.S. So all of you that are turned off GM, just made sure that if you buy another Chev or other GM car, just make sure that it was MADE IN THE U.S.A.
  • 2011 Chevrolet Aveo
    Visitor, Funkstown, MD, March 26, 2012 19:45
    Bought two in 2004. A stick shift for $9K, An automatic for $10K. Stick shift now @ 73K NO PROBLEMS AT ALL . The automatic now @150K , thermostat housing leak @ 70K , daytime running light relay works sometimes & one front wheel bearing bad now @ 150K . Two cheap reliable cars. Do the maintenance as required , don't abuse them and with any luck years of reliable service .
    Visitor, Elgin, IL, March 23, 2012 09:07
    I have had this car since it was new, purchased in 2005 (LT model 4 door). I currently have 95,000 miles on it. For the most part, I am very satisfied with the vehicle. For the cost of it when purchased (with a trade in, out the door at $10k), I have gotten my money's worth. I have had some problems with it. I had a recall on the valves being over-machined during production, but took it to Chevy and they squared it away. I had an accident that caused some unibody damage, and ever since then I do have uneven wear on the tires. I have only replaced the brakes two times on the front end, and I don't think I ever have on the back. I have had to replace belts, had the transmission replaced at 60k miles (due to a tow company improperly towing, not the car itself). I have had issues with the brake lights (both ABS and Parking Brake), but there are no issues with the brakes themselves or sensors (electrical?). I think there are electrical issues with the cars. I have replaced rear shocks (and even shock mounts). But all in all, I can't complain too much. I would purchase one again.
    Visitor, Alexander City, AL, March 22, 2012 12:26
    2008 Aveo; The EGG. I am having the same problems the other owners had. AC/heat only work on high. Tires wearing out. Alignment needed often. Icame to this site to find out about an AC Clutch relay and found these comments, which Described exactly what I have been gong through. Surely Chevy knows about these problems, but I am with the majority/the customers/us,... This is my last one too. Can anyone give me directions to the nearest Toyota dealership?
    Visitor, Godfrey, IL, February 17, 2012 18:57
    I have an 04 Chevy Aveo I bought new,almost 150,000 on it now . I'm on the 2nd time belt , did the "kit" the 2nd time (water pump, tensioner and belt) .I have had to replace the radiator due to not putting distilled water back in a few years ago when I changed the anti freeze..(lesson learned) Over all been happy with the car , I knew it was Korean made from the start (Daewoo). I get between 31 and 37 mpg wish it was more these days and hope to easily take it to 200k+ before I replace it. The new Sonic has caught my eye :-)
    Visitor, Albuquerque, NM, January 25, 2012 11:23
    Beware, Timing belt goes and so do the valves and possilbe engine Damage.Replace the belt NOW or your in for a big expense 2K or more!!!!! Gas milage overated. Got better in a 98 Escort that I wish I'd kept.
    Visitor, Richardson, TX, December 09, 2011 16:21
    I purchased my 2006 Chevy Avio brand new. Completed all scheduled maintenance. Engine blew at 64,000 miles in 2009 and had to be replaced. Since the warranty on 2006 was 60,000 miles, Chevy would do nothing. Since then, nothing but problems with the master computer and check engine lights & a wide variety of electrical issues. A piece of junk. I have spent upwards of $3,000.00 to keep it running, and still owe $4,000.00 on a car with a value of just about nothing. If I had known this car was not a Chevy (ie American built), but is actually built in Korea, I would never have purchased it. What a lemon. Buyer beware
    Visitor, Gainesville, FL, September 14, 2011 15:02
    hi, I also have a 2006 Chevy Aveo that I bought from used Chevy dealership in my town. I love the car. I have had to replace blower motor for a/c which went out. I have owned the car now for about 4 years and have over 98,000 miles on it. Bought it with 43,000 miles. Also I have read other articles that the driver side door lock has a tendency to fall inside the door after a while and low and behold mine did the same thing. Unfortunately no warranty on the vehicle so I will be stuck with getting that fixed. Right now it is a pain to unlock the passenger door and reach across and unlock driver door from inside. But I live with it for now.
    Visitor, Council Grove, KS, September 10, 2011 12:15
    purchased a new 2009 Aveo in late 2009, no frills version, 20 some miles on it. in two years it now has 2000 miles on it ( we don't go much ) but at 1950 +/- miles, the clutch goes out... Dead at a stop light, can't move either direction. Dealership picked it up, had it for 4 days, said it was good to go. Tech desc was: clutch disc came apart ruined pressure plate and flywheel assembly, replaced clutch disc pressure plate and flywheel assembly. filled trans with fluid. Picked it up drove good home. Found a few days later the reverse safety interlock was not working... HOW: At a stop light in neutral, shifted into what we thot was 1st gear and bam, started going backwards. thank god no one was behind us. Talk about a law suit in the making. Took back to dealership who worked on it for two hours. Tech said its good to go, test it out ( made me wonder why i had to test it out ) but hopped in, did not use the interlock ring and went into reverse. After some &*$%&#*$# and slamming the key down, The service tech even had problems finding 1st gear. THEY DIDN'T EVEN BOTHER TO TEST DRIVE AFTER WORKING ON IT A 2ND TIME WHEN THEY KNEW WHAT THE ISSUE WAS. The car is great on gas mileage, but my wife does not want to drive it once it gets back home, and actually, I am not comfortable with her driving it, or for that fact, neither am I driving it. Since under warranty there was no charge... 805.87 for the initial visit on the invoice... I don't have the invoice for the 2nd trip in front of me, but it was no charge either. Interesting to see what the 3rd invoice will show. but I have lost faith and trust in this car completely. It IS fun to drive and the stock stereo rocks, but I have no trust in it anymore and as I and others have said, paint it LEMON yellow and i can't wait to trade it off.
    Visitor, Tamworth, NH, September 04, 2011 08:41
    MY 2009 AVEO IS A POS DO NOT BUY ONE!!!!! FUNNY THING IS I HAVE A 2008 CHEVY AVEO AND IT IS ONE OF THE BEST CARS I HAVE OWNED FOR THE MONEY 0 PROBLEMS. THAT IS THE RESON I BOUGHT THE 2009 WHAT A MISTAKE,I CAN NOT WAIT TO TRADE IT IN!
    Ahmed-KSA, Los Angeles, CA, August 28, 2011 18:32
    Hi . I have a big problem with chevrolet aveo 2007 , I'm form saudiarabia and I changed the engine for the aveo from the Scraping shop (Second Hand Parts) I bought an used engine for aveo 2010 the first week its worked very good no problems at all after that I was driving on the highway and the car turned off the fuel and the heat pedals goes down and I stopped at the side turned the switch on and its not working so I towed it back to the Scraping shop and they fix it the guy that fix it said its the camshaft sensor getting low Electricity power and that cause the EMS1 fuse burned if the engine turned off again change the EMS1 fuse and its will work again after 6 days its turned off again and I changed the EMS1 fuse and its worked for 10 second and its burned again and I change it again and its burned I asked lots of workshop's and they said they don't know what the problem is and I didn't change the camshaft sensor
    Visitor, Buena Park, CA, August 04, 2011 15:56
    I bought my 2005 Chevy Aveo about a year ago. I have had nothing but problems with it. The spark plug wires broke and had to be replaced 3 months after I bought it, the check ingine light came on because one of the seals is bad, I have had to change the breaks 2 times, the control arm bushings are bad and the bearings need to be replaced. This car is a big headache. It is costing more to fix then its worth. I think its pretty funny that all these things went wrong after the warranty was up. If this is what an American company does to Americans then they deserve to go BK. Thanks Chevy for a great car!!!! NOT!!!
    Visitor, Coralville, IA, May 13, 2011 21:18
    Had it for years. LOVE IT!
    Visitor, Jefferson, MA, May 04, 2011 21:01
    I love my little Peanut (Her nickname) and so does everyone else who rides in her. I've had no problems since the day I bought her and do all the scheduled maintenance. If you treat your car with respect it will give you years of service.I have a reputable and honest mechanic who doesn't rip me off and will only let him service my car. I read my owners manual and check the internet to make sure I know how my car operates and what might need to be repaired. An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I've got the inside and outside detailed and she looks like she came off the showroom floor. I'm approaching 90000 miles and she still has never let me down. I've put about $1200 into her over the 5 years, but its better than a car payment. so people wake up take care of your peanut and pamper her and give her a makeover.
    Visitor, Waterford, MI, April 02, 2011 11:09
    We own 2 of these - a 2008 and a 2010. Both of them are the "Aveo 5" model. I bought them for my teenage sons who were about to get their license. Each one was bought a year before they got their license, and they learned to drive in it. During that time I drove the cars (instead of my truck). I got each one for less that $10k with rebates and GM Card points that i had. The 2008 gets about 28 MPG, and the only trouble we've had is that the fan motor on the heat/air only worked on the "high" setting, so they replaced the switch and it works fine. No other problems. I have notice the same thing about the front tires. There are 30k miles on the car now but we're into our second set already. My son drives a lot of miles between Detroit and Nashville to see his girlfriend and he's had no problems. The car "whistles" at about 75MPH. I've thought about trying to deal with that somehow because it's annoying. The 2010 is a nicer car - a little better trim and more solid interior. This one gets about 25MPG and doesn't seem as powerful, which is weird because it's the same engine. Just today the engine light came on and I have to take it in. I've found the dealer and service to be professional. The sales process was easy and low-pressure. I was surprised. These cars are not the best cars on the market, but for the $9,800 I paid for them they are pretty darn good. They are the perfect vehicle for a kid - low cost to operate, decent fuel economy, and cheap parts and tires. The warranty is good for 3 years and they come with OnStar free for a year - something my wife really likes because of their crash-detection. I wouldn't buy one for myself, but their good for new drivers.
    Visitor, Tempe, AZ, March 30, 2011 16:30
    I purchased my 2004 chevy aveo with 27,000 miles on it, I paid 2300 cash for the car. The purchase was made because, at the time I was driving 100 miles to/from work and I couldn't keep putting 80 dollars in my gas tank. Personally I was use to chrysler products, a lot of comfort but the reliablity was nothing to be desired. The first 30,000 miles I had no issues, just oil changes regulary and I put new tires on the car- at 58,000 miles I couldn't complain. At 63,000 miles my serpentine belt went and the car died, it was towed in and fixed for about 289.00 due to a frozen pulley assembly. 70,000 miles came around and I put new tires on the car. Then 89,000 miles came around and I had my first wheel bearing issue, at first I thought it was the breaks. I replaced the rear wheel bearing and was told the other was going bad as well, 3 months later it went as well. Each bearing was about 489 dollars to fix. I decided to take the car on a trip around the country at 89,000 miles, at that time I went ahead and changed the oil, had the injectors cleaned and the car fully inspected. They found no issues with the car except for a recall on a rear seat belt I never use. I drove the car from Michigan through the entire east coast, around the gulf and to south padre island texas where I had poor judgment after some time on the beach and managed to get the car stuck in the sand. The car was pulled out and not even a slight shake resulted. The car was driven back to michigan with only a blown tire from a road hazard in missouri. When I returned to michigan I had 103,000 miles on the car and I took it if for an oil change and check up, still no issues. I continued to drive the car, but now it was on dirt roads instead of city streets. The wheel bearings went again at 114,000 miles and I had to replace the rear breaks. After the winter had passed I decided that I was going to move to Arizona and took the car with me, it was packed full of stuff and I arrived in arizona without a problem. Since being here the only issue was the battery going dead from the excessive heat, when I tried to replace battery myself I accidently touched the wrench to the computer and it fried, this was a 1500 dollar repair and was entirely my fault. The car is in the shop today, I need to have the rear shocks replaced for 200 dollars. It has 158689 miles on it and again it is a mix of my fault and circumstance. Arizona roads can be harsh, we have a lot of speed bumps and uneven surfaces and I seem to think my aveo is a suv and take it out in the mountains and drive it through rivers. Honestly I would buy another aveo because the small repairs I have had to make are much less than the major repairs such as water pumps,transmissions and engines from past cars. Aside from that I often complain that this car will be with me for the rest of my life, after 140,000 miles I'm not convinced the car will ever die. Not that I want it to, I just don't have that mindset present.
    Visitor, Cadillac, MI, March 19, 2011 08:51
    I worried about my aveo. I hear the problems other aveo owners having. But so far I haven't had a problem yet. At first it did have a rotten smell with the heater on but that had gone away when I got 10,000 miles on it. It runs great and had no trouble yet. I just got 25,000 miles on it and change the spart plugs and realized that the spark plugs needed changing. Getting really close to put new tires on it but I feel had very cheep tires on it to begin with.
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, February 16, 2011 07:53
    67000 miles I go in to have the manual transmition flushed which convienently for the dealership I bought it from is the only place that can do it and $150. They tell me that I, the lube shop I take it to have it serviced for a reasonable price say and the chevy website are wrong. that that is not for another 30 to 40 thousand miles. But what you need is this $650 work done right away. Yes, the Dealership name is Freedom Chevolet in San Antonio, TX right off of IH 10 on the north west side of San Antonio. To this service department that is just routine maint. the buyer should expect. Funny how their website doesnt say anything about that. Any car you buy you should be able to to basic maint. your self or a local garage. I never want to rely on a dealership (a salesman) for my regular vehicle maint. That is what I asked for when I bought this car and I was reasured that was the product I was buying. Funny our Tax Dollars bailed GM out so GM could stick it to use. Mack Melvin
    Visitor, Barstow, CA, February 14, 2011 09:09
    Bought my 2005 Aveo over a year ago. At the time it had 155000 miles on it. Now it has 186000 miles. The car runs great. Not the fastest thing in the world but thats not its purpose. I drive the car about 90 miles a day. The gas mileage averages about 30 MPG. I've found that if you run the RPM's above 3000 then your MPG's go way down. Not much for room but again, look how big it is! Besides the regular maintenace, all that I've had to do is replace the stupid Thermostat Housing, which was made from PLASTIC (stupid design). All in all, I'm happy with mine.
    Visitor, Pocatello, ID, February 01, 2011 19:24
    I bought my 2005 Aveo one year ago. It had 75,000 miles and now it has 88,000. I have had any problem with scince I bought it. I am international student and in my country the car rentals like the aveo because of their reliability. It can run up to 120,000 miles without any troubles. In my openion you can't judge on the reliability of the Aveo because its manufacturing started in 2004, so it is not old enough like other cars.
    Visitor, Plano, TX, February 01, 2011 17:04
    Great little car, bougth it new and here it is 7 yrs later....am going to have the clutch changed and new brake put on ...it has 90,000 miles on and am stlll getting about 27-29 around town and 35-38 on the highway...
    Visitor, Beaumont, TX, December 18, 2010 19:45
    I bought this car brand new from the dealer. A great little car that's perfect for getting around town. However, I've traveled throughout the country with my wife and teenagers from Texas to NC, Florida, Mississippi, and many other places included a long ride to Big Bend. Frankly, I love this car. No, it doesn't have much power. But, the interior is nice, the air runs cold, and the mileage is great (About 38 mpg at 75 mph) with a 5 speed manual. Yes, there are better cars on the market. However, I paid $8900 brand new! i could buy two of them for the price of an Accord. For the person who is looking for cheap and effective transportation I recommend it.
    Visitor, Sedalia, MO, December 17, 2010 15:12
    I bought my 2009 Aveo brand new with 13 miles on it. I should have known it would be my problem child as soon as I test drove it. Here is a list of what problems I have had, beginning with the test drive. Battery was dead and required a jump. Thankfully I haven't had to replace that, yet. Replacement of gear indicator light, twice. I have never, ever seen this light burn out on a vehicle, this one did twice in a month. Replacement of tire pressure indicator, of which I am still having problems with. Replacement of both lower A arms. It smells constantly of rotten eggs, as if the catalytic converter has gone out. I took it in, the dealership told me I have to buy better quality gasoline. As if I can afford the highest premium gasoline as it is? I buy mid-grade and I still smell it. I bought this to save on gas, not put the same $$ amount in it as my V-6 SUV. Speaking of gas, I have never gotten more than 20 mpg with this car. During the winter I cannot drive the vehicle without defrost on. The front windows fog up as soon as I put it on bi-level. I can use defrost/floor, but what good is that when my fingers are frozen? The motor is noisy. When it's cold, it sounds like the engine is going to fall to the ground when I start it. And for such a small engine, it sure does take a long time to heat up. My non-observant self bought a vehicle with OnStar, but manual locks and windows. That's right, they still make manual locks and windows. I have locked my keys in my car 3 times now, and 3 times I couldn't call OnStar to have my doors unlocked. Needless to say, my OnStar services have expired. When the locks were popped 2 of the times, I had to take the door panel off in order to put the rod back into the lock so I could use my key. Now my door panels are messed up. There is absolutely no leg room in the backseat, if you're an adult. Children? No problem. The front seats at an average length from the dash board creates about a 4 inch leg room in the rear. It does have a nice spacious trunk though. I personally would never tell anyone to buy this car, unless it's for their teenager and it's their first car. I have owned several Chevrolet vehicles, and this one is the first that I am totally dissatisfied with. Not only do I have a crap car, I have a hard time getting the dealership to fix a lot of what is wrong with it, and they don't even have to foot the bill. Think twice on this one.
    Visitor, Anchorage, AK, November 26, 2010 03:30
    I bought my 2008 Aveo, also known as the POS or Lemon, used at the beginning of this year. I have bought 6 tires (all have been on the car), replace spark plugs and air filter and got the oil changed. The dang thing is still getting 16 miles to the gallon, the last 4 tires put on were brand new all weather that GM put on it and my tire sensor pressure light is still on. The driver side door lock fell into the car. GM fixed it and now my driver side door interior has a gap at the edge because they put it back on wrong. Also after a month of having it the back hatch door handle stopped working. To all the potiental buyers out there.... RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!!! This car isn't worth it. And if you call GM customer care they will only tell you that you need to bring it in to get it tested and that you have to pay for it! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Lynchburg, VA, October 19, 2010 04:31
    My wife and I purchase a 2005 Aveo to downsize. I've observed that it is noisy to drive,literally eats tires on the front,notn to mention brakes. At 38,oo miles it hasnow thrown a timing belt which messed up the valves and is costing a little more than $2,000.00 to repair. My 4x4 Toyota Tacoma gets better milage.No more Chevrolets for this family!
    drewgar, Long Beach, CA, October 07, 2010 12:01
    purchased 2004 ls hatchback when gas prices were almost at 4$. since then its helped alot w gas expenses. 27mpg street, 30 hwy. engine has no guts. doesnt do so great uphill or driving w the ac on w a full car. its small size makes it easy to park in high congested areas. great little city car. never had any major issues. would not recommend this car to anyone.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, October 02, 2010 06:50
    I got my 2006 Aveo right at the end of 2005 when it came out... I have had absolutely no problems with the car and I have driven it 50K. I love this car!!
    Visitor, Randolph, AL, September 14, 2010 10:10
    This is the WORST car you can ever buy. I have had nothing but problems out of it! I got the 2008 model brand new and it has been to the shop for repairs 5 times...and I am taking it back to the shop today because it has major electrical problems that the dealership can not figure out how to fix! I am so glad that I bought the warranty, if not I would be out of ALOT of money!
    Visitor, Fort Drum, NY, September 09, 2010 10:39
    I am reporting review (165201735) 2004 Chevrolet Aveo 5 door Hatchback because I have had problems with it. My car recently blew put the plastic thermostat that GM put in the car and never re-called for a fawlty part in the first place. I had this car for 6 years and had it stored for 2 out of that four. I did everything I can think of for up-keep, i.e. change oil get tune-ups so that I could have this car for a long time. It only had 43,330 miles on it when it all happened. I was told a used engine would run me about 3,800 dollars. That is a surprise because that was the approximated value of the car that I was planning on making a trade in with. Now I have a Pile of $100 dollar junk yard car without and engine because of engine bearings, head gasket, a new thermostat( and this is after replacement of the one that blew out), along with antifreeze mixing with my oil and more stuff that I am using the money for a down payment on a new car for. AND to top it off just a year ago I actually took it to the dealership for my New York Inspection hear in Watertown, NY and they took some parts off of my car that I had to go back and fight for, and $2,000 of my hard earned money, but they never changed my plastic thermostat. How's that for being screwed?
    Visitor, Morgantown, WV, September 07, 2010 03:13
    I bought my car new Had a small break problem the dealer fixed though they squeak now and then No major problems and i drive this car hard i deliver pizza in a hilly town. I would recommend this car to anyone for the price you cant beat it also has the best stock stereo i have ever had in a car. if your expecting a porshe go pay for one
    Visitor, Long Beach, CA, August 05, 2010 13:16
    worse car i've driven. engine has no power. brakes are horrible.
    Visitor, Boynton Beach, FL, July 31, 2010 09:19
    this car is not as good on mileage, as my Volvo v70. I been doing all the maintance, as required by the dealer at the dealer, and it never seems like it is better. The Dealer forgot to put the cap back on the power steering and I had to place more steering fuild in the car, all the dealer said was a half hearted sorry, and refused to pay for the fuild I brought. The car is a 2007 and the airconditioner needs more gas already. I would of been off buying a hyundai
    hannable, Deer Lodge, TN, July 23, 2010 15:00
    I have owned 3 , 2005 aveo's . and have had no problem at all with any of them ,I bought my daughter 1 and with in 3 months she got ran off the road ,and rolled over. with 2 grand kids ,and her . they came out with some scratches, and the aveo was ttld. so safety wise , no problem at all. very happy with the aveo. I really like it. and still have 2 left .
    dreamstaar99, Downingtown, PA, July 19, 2010 20:36
    If your looking for a safe, reliable car from a company you can trust, THINK AGAIN! My 2005 aveo has been nothing but a headache! Since day one of buying it new, the check engine light would constantly come on, but never any serious problems until around 60,000 miles. It's always had a squeak and alot of the plastic parts fell off within months. I did get some good use out of the car until right when the warranty went up, the air conditioning stopped working, then the temp gauge supposedly broke causing the engine to get fried and ever since then, I make regular visits to my local dealer and scream at GM, which btw, they all sound like idiots on the phone, don't expect them to care. Now I've been living with a car that stalls when the A/C in on, and a car that gets stuck in park. I plan to continue to write complaints about this car and company, everyone should know how big of a rip off it is! No wonder why GM has gone bankrupt twice!
    Visitor, Fresno, CA, July 17, 2010 10:34
    i have my car since 2006 and until now have had no problems with it... my driver side door lock also fell inside the door... brakes have to be changed every 6 months or so... but we drive this car all over california. only now has the o2 censor gone out and needs changing... this car is very reliable if u take car of it and drive it safely... if not... then expect what u get... mines is a great car!
    Visitor, Daytona Beach, FL, July 02, 2010 22:45
    This was the worst purchase of a vehicle I have ever made. It is constantly broke down or messed up in some way. I absolutely hate this car!!
    miteypen, Columbus, OH, June 24, 2010 14:09
    I think I can safely say that this has been a great car since we've had it for five years now and have never had one thing that needed to be replaced or fixed. Yes, the car is light and the body dents easily (we have a couple of dents from a car door, a rock thrown at it, etc.) but it gets us where we want to go. No problems with starting even in cold weather. Pretty good pickup (even runs well at 80) and the interior is still in good shape. Of course, we haven't put a lot of miles on it (35,000 so far) but we're bad about getting maintenance done and it still keeps on chugging. I'm very happy with it.
    Visitor, Scottsboro, AL, June 23, 2010 07:07
    I hate this car; it is a lemon which I plan on unloading as soon as possible. Bought new last year only 13 miles on it and had to replace the tires in March with only 26k miles on them. Was told by the dealer that it was a common problem for these cars to wear the tires out in the front but assured me that alignment was correct. Now I am having an acceleration problem. When I pull out I'm giving it gas but it's like the gas isn't getting to the engine. Now the check engine light is on. I am taking it back to the dealer today. This is ridiculous only a year old with only 36k miles and it's having this many problems. And it is horrible on gas for such a small car. We only get about 29 miles to the gallon. It's ridiculous because we were told by the dealer we would get 40 mils. Yeah right!! I have a 2008 Ford Focus and it is an awesome car. I so wish I had a time machine so I could go back and tell them to keep this hunk of junk and get another Focus.
    Visitor, Columbus, GA, June 22, 2010 19:54
    I brought the car brand new,with in 6mos of having the car the radio becomes very warm if the A/C is not on the speakers on driver side statics, the drivers door lock have falling inside the door, I took it to the dealer and as the 2009 owner said it was ok until the warranty on the repair I had done was expired, the BTSI had to be replace and it cost me $257 plus tax.....
    Visitor, Portage, IN, June 01, 2010 06:38
    I have owned 11 cars in 15 years all different makes, this is by far the worst I have had. The car is nothing but problems and the dealer does nothing but band-aid them until your warranty is up.I WILL NEVER BUY A CHEVY AGAIN! EVER! I wish I would have taken the advice of the Chevy owners I knew and RAN as fast as I could.
    Sanjeev, Astoria, NY, May 26, 2010 22:04
    overall a good vehicle at least during warantee period.
    Visitor, Frederick, MD, April 23, 2010 06:19
    Buyers and owners beware.
    Visitor, Anoka, MN, April 19, 2010 00:18
    I bought mine in 2006 ( though it is a 2007); I have almost 100,000 miles on it. Other then spark plug wires I have not had to do a thing to mine that was caused by it's own failing. I was rear ended going about 30mph which was enough to bend the radiator so I had to replace it twice; after the second time found out the problem and it's been great ever since! Only which I got A/C otherwise I am very pleased with mine. Would absoluty recommend to anyone if they are looking for a cheap buy.
    Visitor, Paramus, NJ, April 16, 2010 11:16
    Buyers and owners beware. I've had so many issues with this car and I'm in the shop every 6 months. To current owners, take out an extended warranty, you'll need it! The warranty company has paid for more repairs than the car was purchased for. Stay away!
    Visitor, Hauppauge, NY, April 01, 2010 18:44
    Have had mine for a year and a half so far, and have issues with brake disc vibration, a cylinder valve failing (and the warantee replacement cylinder head was put on incorrectly damaging it- so have had the cylinder head changed twice) - drivebelt idler failure, timing belt tensioner and idler failure. Now the check engine light is on again with a check engine code for the throttle position sensor (2nd time for this code, first time they just cleaned the contacts - obviously not good enough - back to the dealer), and the rear passenger side rear brake is starting to lockup on hard breaking. camshaft pulleys are slightly skewed, so it is a bit noisy when cold (and this is the root cause for the timing idler failure). Mileage is ok - as long as you don't push it too hard, it is not too bad. Auto trans shifts cold can be rough/abrupt. Has been cheap so far as the only thing I have had to pay for is the drivebelt and brake pads/rotors (rest covered under warantee). I am hoping the major issues will come up under warantee - has been the case so far (only at 35 000 miles).
    Visitor, Mount Vernon, WA, March 29, 2010 19:19
    I bought my aveo in Feb of 2006 and just recently changed my timing belt. The car has been a pleasent surpise with no problems I drive about 135 miles a day. Overall I have been satisified.
    DrMikeK, Charlton Heights, WV, March 19, 2010 13:48
    A poor choice for a fuel efficient small car. The radio doesn't work below 32 degrees, the fan is so loud and it "grumbles" while on. It is not fuel efficient, it is hard on tires, it runs "rough sounding" though nothing is mechanically wrong. The seating uncomfortable, it sounds cheap when the doors shut, the locks are already worn out so you have to be careful not to break a key off, the wiper motor is weak, the brakes are weak. The roof leaks on the passenger side, the fuel cap is broken (won't stay completely tight), the check engine flickers,,,and I am tired of writing.
    SexMagnetic, Belmont, CA, February 13, 2010 19:41
    Two speeding ticket... Pescadero to San Francisco....30min. Love my manual 5 speed on the curves. Its got balls, but i got to sell it....Need a Truck
    ErinGillis, Beverly Hills, CA, January 03, 2010 16:03
    This was the first vehicle I bought without anyone cosigning and I have found it to be a great vehicle. A few hiccupps in the beginning from a flaw in my engine, but otherwise the vehicle has been great. I have taken it on long distances as well as short city hops. I have only seven months left on it and I only ran into my first problem, had to replace my serpentine belt and Tensionor pulley, of which I was able to repair on my own. I do highly reccommend this vehicle to a new driver and to first time car buyers. It is reliable and excellent on fuel.
    Riku-Ruka, Lewisville, TX, December 31, 2009 17:04
    My family & friends call this the Gumball car because it looks like it came out of a gumball machine. It's a fair assessment too. I haven't had this car 2 years and already it's been in the shop 5 times (4 times more than the car I traded in which was 11 years old). There have been 3 total alignments with new tires(the dealer mechanic swears there is no structural reason for this to be necessary so often), a reprogramming of the computer so the tire pressure light wouldn't be on all of the time, and the latest being the check engine light staying on (don't know the results yet). I purchased this car because it was supposed to be fuel efficient (my old car was better), it was a good price for a small car and made by a brand I believed was trustworthy. My inexpensive car has now cost me well over $4000 in repairs and it's not even paid for. This is overall the absolute worst vehicle I have had the displeasure of owning and I will never buy another chevy because of it. I would not recommend this model to anything short of my worst enemy (and then it's still iffy).
    debinar, Bothell, WA, December 18, 2009 18:30
    we've had this car a little over 4 yrs, its been nothing but trouble, the breaks are always going bad, we've had it into the shop over and over and it never seems to get fixed. now the pulley broke off the timing chain and im not sure what that is going to cost, I have heard it could be quite costly if the timing skipped. I do not recomend this car to anyone, A brand new car should last way longer then 4-1/2 yrs Im not even done paying for it!!
    cdoile, Independence, MO, September 09, 2009 17:58
    Purchased in Apr/May 2005 - 60,000+ miles - Wife drives daily + drive 1200 mile round trip two or three times per year. Car gets 35+ mpg on hwy. Other than routine scheduled maint., had first problem - door lock has fell into inside of drivers door. Dealer has provided parts diagrams so I can replace door lock myself, or have dealer do it. Hatchback LS has been great car for over four years. Strongly recommend for reliability and low cost.
    LoriCaldwell, Mundelein, IL, September 07, 2009 08:34
    This is by far the worst car I have ever purchased. I bought it because I was commuting 40 miles each way everyday to work and wanted something with good gas mileage. I have had nothing but problems with this car. I have taken it back to the dealership 6 times since I purchased it and it's the same problem every time. The throttle body keeps freezing. They repair it, send me on my way and a few months later I'm back at the dealership with the same problem. Now my car is out of warranty and it has happened again. The gas mileage isn't what the sticker promises at all and to be honest, this car is really nothing more than a piece of junk. There is no acceleration and to even take off at a stop light requires me to turn off the A/C or the car stalls. I would not recommend this car to anyone. Next time, I'm buying a Toyota.
    geezie, Philadelphia, PA, May 17, 2009 05:56
    Had my car snce April 2007. I really like the pick up even though its a small car. I did have a problem with my transmisson and had to have it rebuilt when it was only a year old.It is a toyota engine so the chevy mechanics had to read up on it and figure out how to rebuilt it. Once that was done I had no problem with it. Also after about 6months my strut started to make a squicky noise. It still does and was told it was fine. All n all with the exception of my problems I would buy another one.