Chevrolet Astro Reviews

Chevrolet Astro Reviews and Owner Comments

PROS: I've put all of the 209,000 miles on my Astro. Still doesn't burn a drop of oil and runs smoothly. I change the oil faithfully about every 4,500 miles. Still gets around 23 MPH highway. I don't ever recall having to align it. CONS: Replaced two alternators but made the mistake of using non-OEM the first time which lasted 13 months with 1 yr. warranty (of course). 2nd replacement was OEM from dealer and it's still going after a number of years. Replaced 2 AC compressors and very recently, the AC condenser. Transmission coolant line let go just before 200,000 miles. Still, with 209,000 miles, I have certainly gotten my $ worth and would buy another in a heartbeat if they still made them.
I brought my 2000 Astro ($3,250) two years ago from the original owner had 117,000 miles on it. It runs great. He Provided me with all the repair orders he had done. For PM Reasons, I just replaced -- Starter, Alternator, Radiator/All Hoses, Water Pump, Battery, Front/Rear Breaks, Rotors/Drums, Fuel Filter, Inner & Outer Tie Rods, Front/Rear Wheel Bearings, 4 new Tires (50,000 Mile), Transmission, Changed the Rear Diff Fluid, Recharged AC, Serpentine Belt & Complete Tune-up. Total repair cost $7,750 parts & Labor. The only concern I have is prior to my tune-up I would get 420 miles a tank. Now I average 320 not sure what could be the problem? Also I'm hearing thunk noise from my rear?????
I have a 96 now used to own a 89 love them both 89 gave out on me com8ng from work but got my 96 that came with a body kit dont look bad at all and leather interor. Well i had to do normal work on her but now having a problem which i just found out today head gasket went out on me so all of our astro lovers know what that means MUD :-( so time to get to work and rebuild her:-) fun fun fun but she has a system in her and plan on adding more i love my van and plan on keeping her for ever even though she has 192k want her so roll over and still keep moving.
I have owned this Astro since 1999 and have 146000 miles on it. I had an EGR valve to go bad $150. self installed, two idler arms replaced and a water pump. I'm still satisfied with it because it's tough, comfortable and nice looking. GM should have continued making these vans because the replacements are sorry indeed and way overpriced for what they are. The new ones are also butt ugly
At the age of 19 i got my first Astro Van that was an 87. I drove this one for 5 years and the only problem i had was the horse shoe braket on the front of the motor broke due to rough driving. 6 years after selling this one i have now bought a 1998 astro and will never let this one go. i love the fact that of the mini van world the astro is built like a truck unlike the others. Thank you chevy!
my 1990chevy has 162,000miles and i have not had any problems with it besides the regular maintenance besides that i will not trade it for nothing in the world i love it.
636,000 MILES= SAME MOTOR AND TRANS. STERRING AND SUSPENSION REPAIRS-FUEL PUMP NEEDS RELOCATING ALONG FRAME RAIL TO AVOID THE COST AND TIME AND TOW WHEN IT GOES-GARAGES THINK ITS A MINI VAN AND CRUSH THE ROCKER PANELS TRYING TO LIFT IT-WILL KEEP IT AS LONG AS I CAN.
I got mine in 2001 it now has 195,k and gets 20mpg city.used it for hauling, handy man service, camping,ect... only complaint front door outside handles braking twice.my 20 year old daughter calls it my getto van but its mine and dependable wont get rid of it. Chevy please make again.
I bought the van in 2001 195,k 20 mpg city have used for hauling and handy man service. Camping,ect... I love this van my only complant the front outside door handles broke twice. still wont get rid of it. My 20 year old daughter calls it my getto van but its mine and dependable. Chevy please make astro again.
This is my 2nd Astro van, my 1986 model had 123,000 when I sold it and ordered my 1995 Astro. It now has 164,000, uses no oil and gets me where I need to go. Its too bad Chevy doesn't make them anymore. I lknow the area Chevy factory representative, he stated the Astro had the fewest production problems of any vehicle Chevy has produced to date.
At about 115k the plastic plug protecting the engine from antifreeze and cooling fluid broke and the antifreeze went into the cylinders. Back window rusted out. Fuel gauge is inaccurate measures 1/8 tank and is empty. From the dealer floor used 1 qt oil every 20000 miles - no smoke oil just gone - a perpetual oil change. Blower motor intermittent as well as wiper motor. Fuel lines rusted out and fuel pump just went.
Has brought my faith back to American vehicles. Ours has 243,000 miles and still going strong. Just replaced a waterpump and flushed the radiator, but other than that, what a great van. Minimal maintenance, this vehicle starts when all our others fail, our back up right now, but sure has been a great van.
We have 234,000 and it is still going strong (use Lucas Oil products in the entire vehicle). Just developed it's first minor oil leak and it will be easily repaired - in the cooler hose to the radiator. Very dependable. Have pulled a camper through 41 states, both flat & mountainous. Too bad Chevy doesn't still make them.
we put 150,000 miles on it and it is stell going strong !!!!! An asome and safe car to be in . Good job chevy.
My van is only 35000+ mileage and the model is 2003, but I bought it last Jan. 10,2004. I only drive it on week-ends and long trip once inawhile. I had a fractured left wrist last March 4th of this year, and had an operation. For a with month and a half, I have not driven this van and when I started it last Sunday , the battery went dead. I took it to a dealer shop,and they told me that there's something wrong the engine,etc. and later on the told me that they have to replace the starter. Now, I'm getting an enormous amount on the repair and I'm positive they're over-charging me. Before my fractured wrist, this van was running in an excellent condition. This van is well maintained.Here's my question...Is there a way that I can report to someone on the grounds of over-charging me on the repairs, etc.,? This van is an excellent vehicle, and I'm satisfied with the performance. I need help!!!
270,000 MILES AND STILL RUNNING GREAT.I HAD THE TRANSMISSION REBUILT SEVERAL YEARS AGO,THEN I TOOK IT OFF THE ROAD FOR 2 YEARS. NOW I USE IT FOR THE WINTER ONLY.(ONLY BECAUSE I NEED MY P/U TO HAUL A TRAILER FOR CAMPING.)EXTERIOR STILL SHINES LIKE NEW,HAS A SMALL AMOUNT OF RUST ABOVE P/S REAR WHEEL AND SOME INSIDE THE DUTCH DOOR ,BUT IT IS SURFACE RUST AND I'LL FIX IT THIS SPRING. HOPING TO GET 400,000+
Our van looks just like the one in the picture. Has over 200,000 miles and still going strong. Us it to tow cars, trucks, tractors, travel trailer, etc and would not hesitate to drive to the west coast. Only maintenance are items like oil changes, tires, batteries, generator, brakes, etc. The stuff that wears out has been changed. Great vehicle. :-)
This has been overall, the best vehicle we have ever owned, by far!! Way to go Chevrolet!!
just hoping to get at least another 15,000 miles out of this car..