Problem Description and Possible Solution
Intermittent failure of a purge control valve in the evaporative emission system can cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate. A failed valve should be replaced to correct this problem.
Average mileage: 136,350 (75,000–255,000)
27 people reported this problem
Check engine light illuminAte due to failed evaporation purge control valve
intermittent check engine light and traction control light
vent solnoid pluged with dirt. Dust from road. Findly relocated filter under hood per GM repairs. No longer a problem.
new motor was put in, factory new about 80,000 miles ago. runs great! the check engine light comes on, put it on little tester and it said its a evap deal. will get it fixed next week. im still getting 34 mpg. 30 miles 1 way to work on interestate. great little beater.
In 2013 I purchased a 2001 solara, with almost 200k miles - CASH - 6k. - i face palm every time i think about it still... ok and not 90 days later! slowly but surly my car is falling apart. --- still not fixed - almost 2 years now with no answers from anyone! and a freaking blinking light!!! ahhhhgh!!!
-Alright, so it all started with the CEL. check the P code - evap purge charcol canister ( an every auto place calls it something different - that was great !! ) so first, I checked all caps under the hood and replaced the gas cap on my car 3!!!! times!!!!!! and its still jsut blinking away at me
Then went to THE SAME CAR DEALER ( face palm ), where i bought the lemon!! looking for my evap purge valve - spoke to 2 parts managers and a technician, no one knew what i was talking about - they didnt even want to help me the first time I called to speak to someont to insure they had what i needed before i drove in my lemon to them to get this stupid e vap canister. Then, no one could find it - had to buy 3 different parts at 2 different part stores. not to mention UBER around while my car sat at the shop --- 2 times !!!!! just to replace the purge valve. - then!!!! after the purge valve was changed, the CEL was still on!
they said come back to clear the codes, and drive around for a little bit. So I filled the tank full of gas 2 times and the CEL is still there - BACK TO THE SHOP - double checked the work, CEL cleared again. And was told to drive it around again!!!!
--- all i could think is im doing all this driving with the flashing check engine light, just to see if it will stop blinking at least - I just didnt think it was that smart. ---- any ways
mechanic said he didnt know what was going on. check back in 2 weeks and give mechanic update - well its still blinking!!!
OHHHH ALSO --- while i was there talking to the mechanic again about the " yet to be fixed car", he then says oh i noticed the rpm meter was fluctuating and we really should fix the timing belt- that might help with the issue your having all together, and would help with the age and milage of my car -
( at that time did say the timing belt would not fix the blinking check engine light ) --- but still another 500$. im so fed up with this car and just cant afford a new car payment.
At that time i told my mechanic ( who is new to me --- **Face Palm** ) about all the other issues that have occurred over the past 90 days. For example -
1) check engine light was blinking -- even before i got to the shop ---the whole time! ( after research found out could be my cats - pissed ** face-plam**) my car pulls after letting off the gas pedal ( off and on - a few times , one right after the other withing seconds ) if i apply a little gas it stops immediately ( 9 times out of 10 )
2)when driving on a coast sometime ( always when it rains ) my car will almost whistle ??? low pitch kind of moan?
3) key fob no longer works right - sometimes it will beep sometimes it doesn't - and door lock is all the sudden sicking all the time. And if i don't manually lock the driver door, the key fob will not activate the lock or unlock functions.
4) sometimes when pressing on the break pedal ( off and on ) i will hear a click from my foot- i used to think it was my floor mat maybe rubbing or something - then i threw away my floor mats ... still happening.
5) first thing in the morning, only for a few moments - i feel my car wobble and i feel like its coming from the steering wheel. I feel like after the car warms up it goes away. ( only in the mornings )
6) then car will shake at high mph about 50-60 --- im to scared to drive on the freeway. Also the car will wobble again when i push on the breaks. slow stop or fast stop.
7) Sometimes if im driving and pull up to a red light that changes to green while actively slowing down, then switch to gas ( if i dont give it at least 3 seconds ) the car almost jumps ( maybe forward ) makes this horrible thump sound. --- i have balanced the tires 2 times - and even replaced them. I removed my break pads and check on the rims and roters to make sure nothing was warped or wobbly. --- oh and im in az so i get 130 mph tires for the heat care.
8) then sometimes, while driving ( any time - off and on ) i think they car delays to shift from 1st to 2nd then 2nd to 3rd - almost a forward jump again. And of course the thump to follow.
9) Off and on the car will idle rough, almost died on me a few times at a red light.
AND Last but not Least: 10) Im almost positive! all of this is effecting my MPG. and the ac was amazing when i got it and now - takes forever to get cold! And if im thinking about it, i can feel the air get warm just a tiny timy bit off and on.
This car was supposed to be a safe purchase. And now this car is doing nothing but holding me back.
Every year in the winter time. I have replaced 4 gas caps with no one able to tell me why. By the time I get to the dealer, the system is ok. Now that I know this maybe I'll replace the valve and hopefully be done with this irritating problem. Worst part of it, every winter I loose Traction Control/anti lock breaks. Great timing. Toyota-why do you have all this linked together so that one failure, we loose it all???????? Other than this, I love this car.
Check that it's not just a worn gas cap! The EVAP code seems to come on if the gas cap is loose (s/one else said check the air filter hose too). I have gone through five or six gas caps, I don't know why they seem to fail (light always came on after the same downhill/sharp right turn -- maybe the air in the tank pops it at that point?).
Do not let the dealer sell you a "decarbonization" (I did that and it did not fix it).