Chevrolet Q&A

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Question: change fuel filter light won't reset, whats wrong & is this a common problem?

dona5161, 6.6L V8 Diesel Turbo, Kerrville, TX, February 03, 2012, 19:26

My truck at 37,500 miles the Change fuel filter indicator light came on. I had the fuel filter changed & the light came on again. I took the truck back to the shop & they reset it again but the light keeps showing. The shop used the computer thingy but I was told the computer says its not communicating? What is going on? is it common & maybe a problem that will be covered under a recall & if not how much will it cost to fix? thank you so much in advance.

February 03, 2012, 19:43
     Journeyman

Try resestting it yourself before thinking the worse. Maybe they werent doing it right. It may have been their scanner that didnt comunicate with your truck rather then the other way around.
    To reset your fuel filter life with the key in run position (engine not running) hold your gas and brake for 10 seconds or until the message comes up saying fuel filter life reset.

dona5161, February 06, 2012, 19:33

Wow! I'm really disappointed in the shop I brought my truck to. I did just what you guys suggested which was reset it myself and sure enough the dang light hasn't come back on. Thank you so much for the advice. The shop said they reset it and told me to drive and if it came back on to bring it back, not telling how much I would have paid if I would have brought it back to them! Thanks again Gmc4me and mastertech6371.
    Donna

February 03, 2012, 19:51

FUEL FILTER LIFE RESET
    This message will appear when a reset is performed either by using the steering wheel controls or following manual procedure.

Reset the fuel filter monitor.
    For vehicles with steering wheel controls, press and hold the select button for 5 seconds while the "FUEL FILTER LIFE" message is displayed.

This message will appear on the driver information center (DIC) for ten seconds.

For vehicles without steering wheel controls, do the following:

Without pressing the pedals, turn the ignition key to the "ON" position without starting the engine.
    Wait 5 seconds.
    Completely press the brake and the accelerator pedals simultaneously and hold for 10 seconds. The system is now reset.
    Turn the ignition key "OFF".

The next time the engine is started, the message will no longer be displayed. ALWAYS reset the FUEL FILTER LIFE system after a fuel filter change.

Roy