1998 Volvo V70 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Volvo V70
- Why does the car feel like its floating when shifting lanes at higher speed?
- I just changed the PCV kit but there is hesitation in acceleration.
- Clutch drags, hard to engage gear especially at higher rpm. It does not slip.
- battery went dead lights left on diconnected battery charged battery turns
- transmission leak somewhere around turbo charger how to fix it myself
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
1998 Volvo V70 Problems
There are several common complaints regarding Volvo V70 transmission shifting issues. Long shift times between gear shifts, hard shifting, hard downshifting and a loss of transmission operation to name a few.
If the issue is minor, a transmission software update may address this. If available, the software should be updated before any repairs are made. After a software update or repair, the shift adaptation needs to be reset. A good quality Volvo repair shop will know how to perform this task.
There are several technical service bulletins (TSB's) available from Volvo that address these shifting issues and they should be consulted by the repair shop during the automatic transmission diagnostic process.
Regular servicing of the transmission fluid can help with preventing transmission failure, but not in all cases. Follow the suggested fluid replacement interval recommended by Volvo. You will find this in your owners manual, or find it here>>
One or more door lock assembly may fail and cause door locking/unlocking problems.
The anti-lock brake system (ABS) Control Unit has a high failure rate. When this fault occurs, the ABS light will illuminate and codes may be stored indicating a problem with the ABS Pump Motor, or Wheel Speed Sensors, but the problem is the ABS Control Module.
Other symptoms may include an illuminated Check Engine and transmission shift light, and the speedometer may stop working as well.
Note: The brake system will operate normally however during a panic stop the Anti Lock Brakes will not work and the wheels may lock-up, causing a lack of vehicle control under these situations.
1998 Volvo V70 Questions
but ut wont start
have a small leak somewhere around the turbo charge
1998 Volvo V70 Recalls
1998 Volvo V70 Reviews
I own a 1998 V70 AWD turbo. This is a awesome car; does everything well. Nicely styled in and out. Extremely quick, handles like a sports car, stops as quickly as it goes forward, very comfortable on day-long road trips, very composed in emergency/panic situations (it provides the handling/control necessary to avoid accidents; the first step of this car's safety systems). If the worst happens, ...
This vehicle is stored outside at 10,000 feet in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. Other than some minor battery issues, this car has been bullet-proof with the proper maintenance. However, the maintenance is PRICEY - $1500 - $2500 per year. The AWD is solid in snow under 6 inches, but the clearance is marginal. Mileage is decent...city/19 hwy/22 mpg. Turbo engine requires Premium fuel - BOO!!!
I have really enjoyed the drive and feel for my Volovo v70 but im having issues with my speedometer the needle is showing much faster speed to the actual speed the car is doing for example im driving 30mph and the needle on speedometer is showing 40mph/50mph which is worrying I don't no if I have to recalibrate the speedometer if so could anyone tell me how to recalibrate I have took my car the...