1992 Volvo 960 Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1992 Volvo 960
- Vibration from rear brake rotors are common
- "No Start" and Check Engine Light Due to Gear Position Sensor Failure
- Intake manifold gaskets can develop engine vacuum leaks
- "No start" and Check Engine Light Due to Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Failure
- Change cabin air filter when replacing AC evaporator
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
1992 Volvo 960 Problems
Vibration problems from the rear brake rotors are common and require replacement of the pads and rotors, and the installation of special shims. The symptoms often occur when the brakes are used heavily from repeated braking, braking from high speeds, and braking while going downhill. The entire vehicle can vibrate and shudder, like it is being driven over train tracks.
The intake manifold gasket will often be a source of vacuum leaks. This will cause a rough idle and the Check Engine Light will illuminate. Replacement of the gasket is required to resolve this issue.
1992 Volvo 960 Questions
I've seen videos of "quick" fixes by moving through the gears. I've tried this once without luck. Is there anything else I can look for?
Car is driven by 25 year grandson so I have few additional details. It seems this has occurred before and then returned to normal, but this time it has not fixed itself.
I recently had my transmission changed, the new one has 30,000 miles on it and has started not shifting correctly just like the old one. The lights are flashing on the indicator. E and D flashing alternatley. The speedometer stopped working again. I took the car to a Volvo dealership and they had...