1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI
- Check Engine Light Due to Issues With Glow Plugs/Wiring Harness
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Vehicles Using Biofuels May Have Injection Pump Failures
- Loss of Power Due to Oil and Carbon Build Up in Intake Manifold
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Problems
Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on 2004-2005 model years only.
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
Cars using biofuel typically have problems with injection pump failures; symptoms can include a "no start" condition or external pump leaks.
1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Questions
A red light is blinking in my husband's Volkswagen Passat TDI,could it possibly be the thermostat or could it be that the reservoir is low.
Cost estimate for replacement of rear brakes, calipers and roters