1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI
- Check Engine Light Due to Issues With Glow Plugs/Wiring Harness
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Vehicles Using Biofuels May Have Injection Pump Failures
- Loss of Power Due to Oil and Carbon Build Up in Intake Manifold
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Problems
Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on 2004-2005 model years only.
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
Cars using biofuel typically have problems with injection pump failures; symptoms can include a "no start" condition or external pump leaks.
1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Questions
Cost estimate for replacement of rear brakes, calipers and roters