1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- ARautoPRO, LLC (301) 605-9203 | 19.99mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
- Convenience Car Care Center (703) 594-4027 | 20.27mi
- Car Doctor (571) 402-1906 | 18.95mi
1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI Problems
Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on 2004-2005 model years only.
Oil and carbon tend to build up, creating restrictions in the intake manifold. Symptoms will be loss of power (sometimes severe) and poor fuel economy.
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
1996 Volkswagen Passat TDI Questions
driving car 60 mph and it redlined. Tried to shut off by turning off key and it kept running. Friend (mechanic), says he found the "turbo" behind motor and in front of firewall seized up and it was running on oil? Help with diagnosing would be appreciated. Only has 140,000 miles on it