1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
- Check Engine Light Due to Issues With Glow Plugs/Wiring Harness
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Difficult to Diagnose Electrical Issues Are Typically Due to Ground Issues
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Would problem with factory alarm system continually going off prevent starting.
- Reactivating the readiness mode on the security system?
- Engine wouldn't crank. Tried jump starting it. No luck. Installed new battery
- Why does water leak out from under the dash in front of the rt seat?
- do i have to remove timing belt to replace waterpump
1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Problems
Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on 2004-2005 model years only.
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
One or more power windows may fail. Our technicians tell us this is commonly due to a failed window regulator which will require replacement.
1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Questions
Car started and ran fine yesterday. I park it in the garage unlocked and when I went to leave this morning, I opened the driver's door and the alarm went of. I shut the alarm off with the remote, closed the door and the alarm went off again. I turned off the alarm (factory-installed), put ...
How do you go about reactivating the readiness mode on the security system?
With new battery, engine still wouldn't crank. Could it be a fuse or a relay, or is it the starter? The car was running fine yesterday although I left the headlights on for a short while. Even then, I was able to start it without any problems.
1998 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Reviews
This is my third Jetta second of the 98 model. 260000 miles averaging between 46 and 52 mpg without thule rack with rack drops by 4 mpg. When i purchased it 60,000 miles ago it needed a front end alignment. That solved all wheel wear problems. The clutch on the ac is going but 260 000 miles i think is still fairly acceptable for the clutch. I have noticed some issues with the pep so doi...