1997 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Check Engine Light Due to Issues With Glow Plugs/Wiring Harness
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Difficult to Diagnose Electrical Issues Are Typically Due to Ground Issues
1997 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Problems
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
Because of issues with the glow plugs and/or the glow plug wiring harness from the control relay, the Check Engine Light may illuminate. Our technicians tell us there is a service bulletin, not a recall from Volkswagen regarding replacement of the glow plugs on 2004-2005 model years only.
One or more power windows may fail. Our technicians tell us this is commonly due to a failed window regulator which will require replacement.
1997 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Questions
how do you take the driver side door panel off?
Water is leaking heavily on the passenger floor during and after using AC...what is the best way to fix this...