1999 Volkswagen GTI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1999 Volkswagen GTI
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Air Leaks And EVAP Faults Causing Check Engine Light
- Power windows fail more often than manually operated window cranks
- Premature Head Light Bulb Burnout and Bulb Harness Failure is Common
1999 Volkswagen GTI Problems
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
1999 Volkswagen GTI Questions
It was starting up and I would put it in gear and drive and around 2500 rpm I would lose all power and it would stall on me. Now, it won't even start.
When turning on the climate control temp adjustment it stays warm even when putting it on cool. It will not adjust just blows hot even when a/c is on.