1998 Volkswagen GTI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Volkswagen GTI
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Premature Head Light Bulb Burnout and Bulb Harness Failure is Common
- Power windows fail more often than manually operated window cranks
- Inspect Brakes at Every Service as Rear Brakes Wear Out Quickly
1998 Volkswagen GTI Problems
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
One or both head lights may not work due to premature head light bulb burnout and/or bulb harness failure. Care should be taken to inspect the head light harness connector for damage when replacing bulbs. Damaged connectors should be replaced.
1998 Volkswagen GTI Questions
i turn the key and the lights and everything come on and then it doesnt turn over like i am not pushing down the clutch all the way when i first got it it would do it the odd time but hardly ever what could be my problem?
dis alarm system
Ok new to vw gti my gf bought one over the weekend its a 1998 GTI VR6...For some reason the anti theft belives the car is being broken into and will not start...i tried to reset the alarm via the door key but nothing locks arnt even moving....anyone know something different?????????? thanks