1998 Volkswagen Golf Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1998 Volkswagen Golf
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Engine Overheating Due to Damaged Water Pump Impeller
- Difficult to Diagnose Electrical Issues Are Typically Due to Ground Issues
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
1998 Volkswagen Golf Problems
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
The engine may develop an overheating condition due to a damaged water pump impeller. Our technicians tell us the repair should include replacement of the water pump, thermostat, and flushing the cooling system.
1998 Volkswagen Golf Questions
1998 Golf GL with 1984cc engine - what is the proper order of cylinder ignition wires to distributor cap
The wiper switch refuses to turn off the wipers! The mechanic has tried replacing the switch and the switch motor with no luck.
Have replaced arm and switch gear, stiill won't switch off.