1997 Volkswagen Golf Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1997 Volkswagen Golf
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Engine Overheating Due to Damaged Water Pump Impeller
- Difficult to Diagnose Electrical Issues Are Typically Due to Ground Issues
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Flower Hill Automotive (301) 685-0948 | 19.3mi
- Coho Automotive LLC (571) 358-8099 | 19.75mi
- Scott's Specialties Inc (301) 563-9796 | 20.65mi
- Marv & Mikes Transmission & Auto Repair (301) 637-4993 | 20.98mi
- Adrenaline Automotive (301) 640-5604 | 23.16mi
- Precision Tune Auto Care (703) 468-4903 | 18.83mi
- BMW Excluservice (301) 605-9877 | 20.3mi
- Winkler Automotive Service Center (301) 258-2774 | 17.37mi
- Hillmuth Certified Automotive of Gaithersburg (301) 547-3338 | 20.09mi
- Cardinal Plaza Shell (703) 349-4624 | 22.86mi
1997 Volkswagen Golf Problems
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
The engine may develop an overheating condition due to a damaged water pump impeller. Our technicians tell us the repair should include replacement of the water pump, thermostat, and flushing the cooling system.
1997 Volkswagen Golf Questions
Indicator lights went from not working intermittently to blinking twice or four times as fast when activated.
When brakes are depressed, left indicator does not work. As soon as brakes are released, indicator works again. Left indicator blinks at 2x normal speed, right indicator binks at 4x s...
It start once then no more ,if you take out the pipe from the filFilter,which goes to injectors the car start ,but if u lessen it look like the is an overfloat,and no power
Hello I managed to take out the old distributor cap in my 97 VW Golf, but I can put on the the new one back in it's place, the clamps ton't reach and wont close properly, what am I doing wrong, I can't even put on back the old cap! Please let me know if there is a trick to this cap an...
1997 Volkswagen Golf Reviews
I own a VW golf4.I had keeped it in garage for several years.After I installed a new battry it doesent start.Ignation seems ok but no gas in the engine.I tooked off the gas return pipe and it is dry.Car hase only 5 thousand miles so nothing wear out and last time I started it wasn't any problem wit it. May gasoline get too old i filled up several years ago or pump get plugged? Can help me som...
The car runs well and gets me around rather well, however, it has a lot of little problems that tend to build up over time. The exterior is poorly constructed and the styling is constantly falling off. Also, I've had problems with the outer locks and latches of the doors. A decent car, but don't expect to be blown away.