1999 Volkswagen Golf TDI Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 1999 Volkswagen Golf TDI
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Loss of Power Due to Oil and Carbon Build Up in Intake Manifold
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Premature Head Light Bulb Burnout and Bulb Harness Failure is Common
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
1999 Volkswagen Golf TDI Problems
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
Oil and carbon tend to build up, creating restrictions in the intake manifold. Symptoms will be loss of power (sometimes severe) and poor fuel economy.
One or more power windows may fail. Our technicians tell us this is commonly due to a failed window regulator which will require replacement.
1999 Volkswagen Golf TDI Questions
I got a reconditioned one last month
glow plug warning light on. I assume i need to replace these plugs and don't have a diagram of where they are. Do I need any special tools. I have located a glow plug kit on line with plugs and lubricant. Need some guidance.